Rust remover

Barnoe

Moto Vlogger
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
While giving my bike a very thorough clean before applying ACF50 tomorrow, i noticed the start of rusting :eek:

i have to crawl under the bike to see it, around the exhaust bolts on the engine and fins
also starting on the exhaust box itself.

whats the best product to use to remove it safely?
i dont want something harsh that it removes the rust and anything else it comes in contact with :blast

i want to resolve this before applying the ACF50 and can start confidently knowing nothings rotting.
There is a lot of products out there, but not sure some are suitable for a bike?

Any ideas guys?

Have a look at Bilthamber - they have a gel (deox) that removes rust and a convertor(hydrate), that stabilises by turning it black (really needs loose rust removed).

be careful applying the hydrate only to effected areas as it can leave its mark.

Or... just rub in ACF

Just had a read up on the Bilthamber products, looks interesting.
once its been stabilised and black, do you just wire brush off?

it may be that i have to remove the bolts and exhaust to clean properly.
i will try giving it a good rub with the ACF, which has just been delivered :)

White Vinnigar is supposed to be very good if you can soak the item!
Not tried it yet but on my list of to do's but I have seen it work on film!

Regards
Chris H

the deox gets cleaned off to leave shiney metal - might need a couple of hits.

the hydrate converts the rust, so no - you do not wire brush it off.

Well, if you will go parking it beside the Forth Bridge....:augie

Work is the real issue.

Take bike out of a dry heated garage in the morning, and park it in a wet carpark all day!
i did consider buying a cover, but id just be covering a wet bike most days and id just be trapping in moisture.

In the days when cars=rust the goto product was Jenolite. I believe it's still around.

tom

Back
Top Bottom