Himalayan and Scram Review LDG

I am coming up to completing my 4th. year of Himalayan ownership and have done over 8k miles (which has included a few 150 mile trips one of which involved a good chunk of M6 south with speeds of 65 to 70 held in very inclement weather) would have been a lot more if it wasn't for lockdowns and i'm still loving the bike and, it STILL brings a smile to my face when i'm out in the hills of N.Wales pottering along or, even when on a twisty A or B road where it shines just a much in it's own way keeping a steady 60, 65 as it swoops along with ease. The handling defies it's cheap suspension either on or off road and with EBC Sintered pads up front even the brakes work well.

I came across the Himmy early 2018 and knew at a glance it looked "right" and looking deeper decided it was "right".

My bike is, apart from heated grips, sat nav mount, USB charge point, knee pads, clutch slave cyl heel guard, a screen extender and an Iridium plug perfectly standard, no cam, no can, no booster, no tuning box has got all the original bits and bobs it came with and, it doesn't stall, it's flat out at 83mph (sat nav) (unless of course it's blowing a hoolie of a headwind or it's loaded with all my camping kit) and it'll pull from 30mph. in top gear.

The finish has suffered a little here and there but, it has gone through a few winters and, it's taken a few batterings on off road trails so, i can put up with that.

Over the years i have spoken to dozens of people about the bike and often had a queue of people lining up at the Ponderosa waiting to ask me questions which i have always tried my best to answer; i bet i'm responsible for many people buying one :D

So, here we are, Tossers galore lining up to get themselves a Himmy. I feel vindicated.

Health to enjoy all :thumb2

PS. I do still have my 2011 TC GS which gets pulled out for certain type trips but, the Himmy is generally my goto bike.

PPS. Meant mention A&D. I have used them for a while now and can say they are the best dealers i have ever dealt with, Paul Beech the manger is a gem of a bloke but, so are the others to be fair. Use with utter confidence :thumb2

I am coming up to completing my 4th. year of Himalayan ownership and have done over 8k miles (which has included a few 150 mile trips one of which involved a good chunk of M6 south with speeds of 65 to 70 held in very inclement weather!

Over the years i have spoken to dozens of people about the bike and often had a queue of people lining up at the Ponderosa waiting to ask me questions which i have always tried my best to answer; i bet i'm responsible for many people buying one :D

So, here we are, Tossers galore lining up to get themselves a Himmy. I feel vindicated.

Health to enjoy all :thumb2

PS. I do still have my 2011 TC GS which gets pulled out for certain type trips but, the Himmy is generally my goto bike.

PPS. Meant mention A&D. I have used them for a while now and can say they are the best dealers i have ever dealt with, Paul Beech the manger is a gem of a bloke but, so are the others to be fair. Use with utter confidence :thumb2

Good shout Tony :thumby:

:beerjug:

Nice seeing it put to good use.:D

Attachments

• i-CjNVgWk-L.jpg
    i-CjNVgWk-L.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 209
I am running a 650 Mash at the moment, based on the old honda 650 dommie motor, chinese copy basically, cheap as chips, looks like the bike I always wanted but couldn`t afford as a youth, the XT500.

40 bhp single and loads of fun, it is a state of mind, apparently it has a top speed of 95, not sure I would want to hear the engine doing that!

I potter about and as I get to know the roads and tyres it gets better and better.

I reckon it is a regression thing...:D

The freedom of having a light bike and one which slows you down means you get to enjoy the ride more in my experience, or perhaps I have got old, either way it matters not if you enjoy it.:beerjug:

I am running a 650 Mash at the moment, based on the old honda 650 dommie motor, chinese copy basically, cheap as chips, looks like the bike I always wanted but couldn`t afford as a youth, the XT500.

40 bhp single and loads of fun, it is a state of mind, apparently it has a top speed of 95, not sure I would want to hear the engine doing that!

I potter about and as I get to know the roads and tyres it gets better and better.

I reckon it is a regression thing...:D

The freedom of having a light bike and one which slows you down means you get to enjoy the ride more in my experience, or perhaps I have got old, either way it matters not if you enjoy it.:beerjug:

Agreed Dave :thumb2

Our latest review

Mike, great review.... as always from the LDG. Enjoyed Best Retro Bike.... Parts 1 & 2 which I watched when it came out (think I posted a link in here somewhere previously)

Always look out for Lemon Drizzle Gang stuff

Just three days on the Himmy and my Rukka pants have worn through the paint on the tank ....

Must be how I sit :eek:

i-g2rfkRP-L.jpg

Well that's it! All these positive posts have been and gone and made me part with my cash for a Himalaya! Pictures and more details later playmates!

I had the good fortune to have a quick try out of Orinoco's Himaaaalaya (sic) this weekend.

I would think that buying a Himmy and doing an easy paced trip into Europe would be absolutely brilliant. It's not a complicated experience, it kind of does its thing but very well. It's very good at being a Himmy, if that makes any sense at all!

If I was about to buy one, I'd be really excited.

Well that's it! All these positive posts have been and gone and made me part with my cash for a Himalaya! Pictures and more details later playmates!

Congratulations Peter, welcome to the RE world, Saltire?

Congratulations Peter, welcome to the RE world, Saltire?
Nah. I'm not a great fan. Private deal. Will post more details after I pick up the bike.

Your posts had a lot to do with it Micky. Now I have to decide what to do with the GS. I'll leave that for a bit to see how I get on with Jimmy the Jimmy! ( Autocorrect but it might just stick! :D)

Sent from my moto e30 using Tapatalk

What's the betting on Wapping buying one as well, kinda antidote to the 1600

Nah. I'm not a great fan. Private deal. Will post more details after I pick up the bike.

Your posts had a lot to do with it Micky. Now I have to decide what to do with the GS. I'll leave that for a bit to see how I get on with Jimmy the Jimmy! ( Autocorrect but it might just stick! :D)

Sent from my moto e30 using Tapatalk
That's the problem with Micky, we believe every word he types he's now Royal Enfield's top salesman ..... he's too damn honest. You still have your RT as well Peter?

That's the problem with Micky, we believe every word he types he's now Royal Enfield's top salesman ..... he's too damn honest ....

Ha ha :D

I'm getting old and past it :rob

But I do believe that Royal Enfield have re-invented motorcycling :D

That's the problem with Micky, we believe every word he types he's now Royal Enfield's top salesman ..... he's too damn honest. You still have your RT as well Peter?

Yep. I'll be doing motorbike Tetris in the lockup until I work out what to do! Logic says Jimmy the Himmy will take on the role of the old GS so that should go and hang on to the RT for Euro trips etc. But logic ... pah! If logic applied, we'd never have bikes in the first place! :D

Ha ha :D

I'm getting old and past it :rob

But I do believe that Royal Enfield have re-invented motorcycling :D

Do you mind if I use that in an upcoming Enfield Video ?
Make you even more famous than you already are!

Back
Top Bottom