Thread: France Autoroute A26

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

France Autoroute A26

I’m sure someone on here can tell me if the A26 from Saint Omer to the junction with N17 is subject to tolls? Not being tight but looking to avoid the hassle of a group of 8 bikes at the toll whilst making good time for the first part of the trip.

Is there somewhere to look up these matters as Google failed me.

This space deliberately left blank as the author writes too much pretentious bollocks as it is.

The A26 south of St Omer is most certainly tolled, down to the N17 at Arras.

Some Michelin maps mark the payage barriers.

Yes, at least a couple.

but looking to avoid the hassle of a group of 8 bikes at the toll
    Everyone with their card (Mastercard or Visa, no Amex) ready to use in a pocket and each bike will be through in less than a minute.
    Anyone with a sanef/mango/ulys blipper: even faster.
    R1150R '03 [in bits]
    R1200GS Adv '07
    HP2 Sport '11
    DRZ 400
    [I'm the biggest limit on my bike]

Thanks chaps, I thought it would be. Not really a problem if you’re prepared. I was planning a route in MRA on my iPad and couldn’t find any info. As an aside I’ve just started using MRA and the option to add Waypoints is fine but I can’t see how to make them “via points”? I presume you select the HERE maps?

Thanks again.

Not really a problem if you’re prepared
    Nah. You guys will be fine.
    We've done, when back in Italy, for ages with way larger groups before the Telepass was available to motorbikes (pre 2005).

Just keep ticket and card handy (the horizontal pocket in the old BMW city pants was amazing for this). Even though I think the few tools that much north are just fixed payments (no tickets).
    R1150R '03 [in bits]
    R1200GS Adv '07
    HP2 Sport '11
    DRZ 400

You’ll be fine, Brian.

If, as er-minio says, bods use their credit cards, everything should go smoothly. The trick, if there is one, is for everyone not to start getting off their bikes to have a chinwag over how awesome the last X miles of motorway has been. Stay on your bike; everyone can then crack on.

The other trick is to let everyone know what junction of the motorway to get off at. Eight bikes can get spread out a bit. You don’t want someone steaming past or, worse, doing a suicide dive to exit….. we have all done it!

PS If you / they have time, get yourself a payage blipper tag thing. The EMOVIS one arrives almost by return post. They are excellent.

Old enough to know better Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Wapping View Post
    You’ll be fine, Brian.

If, as er-minio say, bods use their credit cards, everything should go smoothly. The trick, if there is one, is for everyone not to start getting off their bikes to have a chinwag over how awesome the last X miles of motorway has been. Stay on your bike, then everyone can then crack on.

The other trick is to let everyone know what junction of the motorway to get off at. Eight bikes can get spread out a bit. You don’t want someone steaming past or, worse, doing a suicide dive to exit….. we have all done it!

PS If you / they have time, get yourself a payage blipper tag thing. The EMOVIS one arrives almost by return post. They are excellent.
    Just to let you know that Emovis UK are running short of tags, so check sooner rather than later.
    Also keep an eye on the battery life, as replacing an existing tag can take a couple of weeks

Thanks for the heads-up, Neil.

Thankfully mine was replaced last year, so everything is still live.

Thanks chaps, done quite a few trips over the years after the wonderful introductions through “Wappings Wanders” and i seem to recall we never had any issues with tolls…..albeit there’s always someone who refuses to use their credit card and then drops toll money! Must say I prefer riding in smaller groups 4/5 but this will have 10 riders so the intention is to split into two groups.
    Heading down to Reims after an overnight at Saint Omer then collect the rest of the group coming on the morning Chunnel then via Thiepval and Peronne so a couple of stops for history and refreshments.

Have fun.

lbeit there’s always someone who refuses to use their credit card and then drops toll money
    Shoot them in the leg and leave them for the bears.
    You'd be better off.
    R1150R '03 [in bits]
    R1200GS Adv '07
    HP2 Sport '11
    DRZ 400

Quote Originally Posted by er-minio View Post
    You'd be better off.

ghgfhhj

Quote Originally Posted by er-minio View Post
    You'd be better off.
    Now that’s a very tempting idea.

Last time I was in a fairly big group we had toll as we joined the A26 for the final run to the tunnel, one bikermate was in a hurry to get home and said he would blast it alone from this point.....

....Before blasting off the limiter in each gear as he swooped into the lane going in the wrong direction and rode flat out for over 30 mins in the wrong direction, needless to say nobody went after him and he was the last home despite riding his poor rental GS flat out all the way after turning around.

Apparently they average @18mpg ridden flat out, factor in fuel stops 3 times as often and your probably gonna get their faster at 60mph and 60mpg, we all thought he was very lucky the Final Drive did not melt (this was an air cooled 1200 he was on)