New ECU needed for a 2014 GSA : what effects ?

GrinningGSer

Infamous old git
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My dealer has not been successful in attempts to fix a throttle position sensor fault, after fitting a new £450 throttle position sensor (Fault started in June 2022 ), and is resorting to a £1200 ECU replacement. The Dealer is being very helpful.
This will be "programmed to the specific bike" , but what about tuning? Will it be to 2022 emissions values ? Will the bike run very lean?
I suppose I should ask the dealer , but equally I have no alternative at the moment. Any thoughts ?
(p.s. So glad I have Motorrad's extended warranty and I want my bike back! )

My dealer has not been successful in attempts to fix a throttle position sensor fault, after fitting a new £450 throttle position sensor (Fault started in June 2022 ), and is resorting to a £1200 ECU replacement. The Dealer is being very helpful.
This will be "programmed to the specific bike" , but what about tuning? Will it be to 2022 emissions values ? Will the bike run very lean?
I suppose I should ask the dealer , but equally I have no alternative at the moment. Any thoughts ?
(p.s. So glad I have Motorrad's extended warranty and I want my bike back! )

The ECU will be set up to match your bike.
Being a -14, which was sold as a Euro 3 bike. Later, BMW upgraded the earlier bikes to Euro 4. The EU3 bikes lack a fuel vapour filter, which, in case of my -15 resulted in a faultcode reporting no contact with the vapour system, (makes sense, as it is not there :) ). No warning in the instrument panel though...

So it is my guess that your bike will be given the Euro 4 fueling. This will probably compare to the fueling of the -17 or -18 R1200.

It will not become Euro5, as the EU5 requires a different O2 sensor and a third O2 sensor reporting back on the emission after the exhaust has passed the cat.

They will most likely encode it to the bike and update the entire bike to the latest i-level. They will have no idea about tuning as that sort of information is not passed on to dealers

The ecu will be supplied from BMW Germany to BMW UK and then to your dealer coded to your bikes 'new' specs and level of equipment , when mine was changed it was basically plug and play but updated to the latest version of software available for that model .

My 2017 Basic was specced from new with the Computer Pro option which BMW forgot to install at the factory and it had to be updated by the dealer with an updated one off programme supplied from the factory, I can only assume that when it was installed the BMW database was updated as when the new ECU was fitted in Austria with the new factory ECU it retained the Computer Pro option

ECU fitted and bike running very well indeed , with average mpg increased from 55 to 61 at 70 mph .
Plus , surprisingly , heated grips very hot , which they were not before.

ECU fitted and bike running very well indeed , with average mpg increased from 55 to 61 at 70 mph .
Plus , surprisingly , heated grips very hot , which they were not before.

have you any sort of tuning on old ecu, this can break software often on ecu

Back
Top Bottom