A serious case of GS screen turbulence ...

Bobbin-Man

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm sure there's been plenty of discussion about this, I've read bits hear and there but has anyone actually solved it in any meaningful way?

My previous hexhead GS was fitted with a GSA screen, tobinators, GSA winglets and an MRA extension spoiler, I'm pretty average height at 5'11" and with this setup I could cruise all day in comfort, even with my visor fully open in really hot conditions (mk1 Shoei Neotec).

Roll on to a few years ago and I swapped to a GS LC and immediately noticed how much noisier it was in my helmet, even to the point of it being difficult at higher speeds to hold rider-pillion conversations via the Bluetooth headsets. So I've followed the same modification route as with my old hexhead, initially a GSA screen, then Wunderlich winglets, then more recently an MRA screen spoiler.

Then in a moment of madness I bought a Schuberth E1, really comfy, I really like the peak, but it's become the icing on the cake regarding a complete hatred for riding the bike. The setup now is causing so much vibration that I'm getting nauseous after 20 minutes riding at anything above 55-60mph, so much so that I've zero interest in riding.

I know I can back pedal on all the changes, return to the Neotec, loose the screen mods, even switch back to the GS screen, but all that does is put me back to a setup that is noisy. The only combination I haven't actually tried is the Schuberth E1 with the basic GS screen.

Any thoughts on how to address the noise/vibration/turbulence? I'm even thinking about swapping back to a late model hexhead but that surely is a step backwards, and the level of sales of the LC would suggest there's plenty of very happy owners ... unless the turbulence is gradually turning everyone's brain to mush and cognitive thought has been lost! I love the way the LC rides, the handling is really sweet but I hate riding it!

Is it noise or turbulence? Noise I solved the problem with ear plugs, I use MACK for swimming. Turbulence, I don't have an issue, I am 5'9'' and use the standard screen. Some people fitted panels in the dash apparently it makes a difference. Have you tried an RT?

Definitely don't want an RT! Always wear earplugs but it was the increase in helmet noise that initially surprised me, everything I've changed since has just increased the turbulence, it's so bad it's now impossible to read number plates on anything but close vehicles!

Try the Puig touring screen, it's game changer on the GS. I found it brilliant and I use an E1 helmet>

Im 6' 4"
Noise i can handle, but head being thrown left and right back and forth is too much.
on the plus side I've got the strongest neck muscles in Britain!!
but on long journeys its very tedious, i end up stopping not because im tired or have a numb arse, but because im punch drunk!

The solution i have found is to avoid motorways completely, and travel "A" roads at 50mph

to me this problem is the biggest negative for the GS.

a couple of years ago I bought a Puig sports screen. about £45, for the very reason you are telling of, these are much shorter and you do not get any buffeting as it's clean air. obviously you lose weather protection, to test this out, stand up while riding, you'll see what I mean, that's the same as you get with the short screen.

what I have found out tho, for a pillion it is not much good. they seem to get battered, when I am touring with my wife, I put the OEM screen back on with an MRA x-creen fitted, works for me at 5' 8". good luck finding the utopian answer✌️. if you do please let us know.

as an addendum to this, I travel at much slower speeds when touring, that's why the OEM screen works better for two-up

Take the screen off altogether and ride like that for a bit - it might be a real relief. I think you'll be surprised at how it's not particularly noisy and the buffeting disappears completely. You can re-build from there up if you wish.

Very often when people suffer turbulence they get a bigger screen, add all sorts of things to try and stop it to no avail

The biggest cause is the low pressuer are BEHIND the screen that is constantly swirling causing the turbulence

On the older GS Tobinators solved the problem by balancing out the low pressure area

I dont have any screen at all on the Streetfighter so sit in clean air and with a reasonable aero dynamic helmet get no turbulence buffetting or any thing else at even very high speeds

My advice is get a smaller screen so your head is in "clean" air

as for noise - the GS channels noise up from the front end of the bike - i think this is well accepted but all sorts of things play in this game

On my Multistrad Pikes peak i had a very small screen but the bike was deafening in an Arai RX7 and at 5' 8" i could not understand it as the same helmet had been silent on a KTM 1290GT

Turns out it was the mirrors directing noisy air straight to the bit of the helmet where my ears were - no mirrors no noise !!

Strange, my RT was good with the factory screen and that improved with the Wunderlich Marathon. It's a bit of a monster but damn good.

Definitely don't want an RT! Always wear earplugs but it was the increase in helmet noise that initially surprised me, everything I've changed since has just increased the turbulence, it's so bad it's now impossible to read number plates on anything but close vehicles!

GIVI Airflow

I cured the vibration/buffeting problem on my R1250GS with a GIVI Airflow. I did have to make a custom lower screen though.

Attachments

• 20220725_200003.jpg
    20220725_200003.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 763
  • 20220725_200009.jpg
    20220725_200009.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 759
My advice is get a smaller screen so your head is in "clean" air

Interesting....
When i leave work at 4pm today i will ride home with the screen in the lowest position (something ive never tried on the motorway)
i hope your right, but i feel this is too easy of a solution lol

as anyone else tried this?
it seems the opposite of what you should do :)

Interesting....
When i leave work at 4pm today i will ride home with the screen in the lowest position (something ive never tried on the motorway)
i hope your right, but i feel this is too easy of a solution lol

as anyone else tried this?
it seems the opposite of what you should do :)

On a nice day try taking it off completely and having a 10 mile ride

MRA Vario Touring screen works best for me on my GSA. Even with an Arai Tour X4, there is no turbulence.

X Screen

The only thing that worked for me on the LC. Now have it on the 1150GSA.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220808-183101.jpg
    Screenshot_20220808-183101.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 692
Try the Puig touring screen, it's game changer on the GS. I found it brilliant and I use an E1 helmet>

At 5'11" I'm very impressed with my Puig Touring - turbulence free visor up riding past the legal limit, however, airflow is restricted, so not so good in the warm weather.

I thought I’d done with this problem once and for all when I fitted the GIVI AF330 to my 2011 GS years ago. After trying all sorts of screens and no screen, the GIVI was simply, brilliant. Then I went and got tempted by a 2021 1250GS and I feel I’ve gone back years regarding screen protection.

I have a GSA 1250. I have an Arai Tour X4 and that is fine. I recently bought an E1 to replace my ageing C3Pro.

The E1 is awful for vibration with a GSA screen - except when the screen is at it's lowest setting. At the lowest setting it's fine. Anything else its a bastard. I sent the first E1 back as not fit for purpose. The UK importer tested it and said it was fine. They confirmed that they test them on a naked bike!

I refused to accept it back arguing that it is marketed as an adventure bike helmet and I have the most common adventure bike in the world with a standard screen set up and it vibrates like, well, you know....

The dealer agreed and accepted it back. My Arai is fine at all speeds on the same bike.

I have a GSA 1250. I have an Arai Tour X4 and that is fine. I recently bought an E1 to replace my ageing C3Pro.

The E1 is awful for vibration with a GSA screen - except when the screen is at it's lowest setting. At the lowest setting it's fine. Anything else its a bastard. I sent the first E1 back as not fit for purpose. The UK importer tested it and said it was fine. They confirmed that they test them on a naked bike!

I refused to accept it back arguing that it is marketed as an adventure bike helmet and I have the most common adventure bike in the world with a standard screen set up and it vibrates like, well, you know....

The dealer agreed and accepted it back. My Arai is fine at all speeds on the same bike.

Once upon a time a chap had to attach wheel balance weights to the underside leading edge of Arai Tour X peaks to stop the resonance/vibration

Have you tried putting the seat in it’s lower position, made a huge difference to me. Standard GS screen no problems.

Back
Top Bottom