ICELAND Reset - 2022

Back to civilisation and we meet up with a Norwegian biker who's making a film about riding round Iceland, I forget his name but great guy.

i-p66DTtN-X3.jpg

One last windy camp

20220802_192134-X4.jpg

Not a huge mileage for the trip but probably enough :D

20220803_113209-X4.jpg

My MotoZ Tractionator Desert would have been shagged in another 500 miles

20220802_190906-X3.jpg

Back in Reykjavik and for me a reward

20220803_165306-X4.jpg

And they all lived happily ever after, no injuries, no broken bikes but a lot of big smiles :beerjug:

Some of the group are getting a little tired now, roughish camping isn't for everyone for too long without a decent bed for the night.

I quietly suggest he phones a brilliant hotel our route passes

The sign of a good team/tour leader Tim...:thumb

Great RR, one day I'll make it past a Tesco's car park... :D

Plus two! Great write up. Next year?

Seems resistance is futile, go on then ;)
Almost certainly run a ride along the lines of this one and with luck spend longer in the Highlands.

Additionally I'll put a post up sometime about possibilities for next year and see if there's also interest in a much easier trip for any size bike.

2024 is already filling up with requests for another smaller bike trip.

Thanks Tim, it's been great to see the detail and pics to remind me of the nightly reports that I got back from Liz. Needless to say there's unfinished or is it unstarted business in Iceland for me so put us down for a rematch when the time comes.

Loved that, memories of our trip way back when which seem knarly at times...but nothing like that :eek:

The one thing it did remind me is the cold...brrrr....even on a nice day.

"Ah...today we get the first snows of summer" said our host at a remote (for us) hostel where, obviously, the showers were in a separate block to the accommodation :confused: Iceland is quite unique. Thanks for sharing :thumb

Great report and a great trip Tim, I am definitely up for a repeat, it stands out as the best biking I have ever done. Next year may be tricky if it’s a long trip but mention of a shorter trip…please keep me on the list. The 500 is serviced, but still being worked on as I am stripping off the old rally kit and taking it back to enduro while I decide what to do with it.
Hope to see the gang again next time!

Seems resistance is futile, go on then ;)
Almost certainly run a ride along the lines of this one and with luck spend longer in the Highlands.

Additionally I'll put a post up sometime about possibilities for next year and see if there's also interest in a much easier trip for any size bike.

2024 is already filling up with requests for another smaller bike trip.

I'd be interested in 2023 Tim - on my G310GS.

All noted chaps,
I'm away at the moment but will give it all some thought soon :)

Tim , brilliant read with a great mixture of humour scenery and bikes doing what they were intended for. My Humble “ brocken spectre” taken whilst cycling around the Great Orme earlier this year.

Apologies phone pic

Attachments

• 798A5C08-130B-49D1-A95A-38B0D1B29364.jpg
    798A5C08-130B-49D1-A95A-38B0D1B29364.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 254
Would love to do something like this but cold weather and my body really don't get on unfortunately !

Fantastic report and excellent photography :thumb2

Tim I can’t camp due to my sleep Apnoea, is there scope for a trip like this with hotel or hostel accommodation?

I appreciate that wild camping is a huge part of the attraction …

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Would love to do something like this but cold weather and my body really don't get on unfortunately !

No need to ride naked :beerjug:

Tim I can’t camp due to my sleep Apnoea, is there scope for a trip like this with hotel or hostel accommodation?

I appreciate that wild camping is a huge part of the attraction …

Not with me as we'd all need to keep to a strict itinerary and arrived at pre booked accommodation, this leaves no room for the biggest rule of motorcycle travel especially here and that is don't plan the route but go with the weather and conditions so not really what my trips are about.

Several commercial outfits do trips in Iceland using either hotels or cabins, all of them very expensive although using their bikes. (you'd need to check with them for mains electric if that's your concern).

You could check out https://ridewithlocals.is/ who certainly use good routes rather than the norm of larger outfits.

Alternatively, I can always ship your bike with the others and you make your own arrangements, I could give you route suggestions :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom