ICELAND Reset - 2022

Timolgra

reformed
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Nearing the end of another 5 weeks in Iceland the Hilleberg Soulo's door is opened wide as I lie on the familiar bed with a smoke and last dregs of my Jameson's.

Perhaps I was over tired as I looked out towards one of my favourite riding areas wondering if after 16 trips I had come to an end of doing this. Have I finished here and completed most I could?

I rolled outside to prepare the coffee pot for morning scanning the 360 degree view of black and vibrant green mountains mottled with all year snow.
Taking a final pee, forever hopeful it would the last of the night I couldn't explain my unusually melancholic mood, after all I'd seen amazing places, ridden well and as always spent time with some great guys.

I woke refreshed and positive, coffee and first smoke of the day helped but it was more, I had a plan!

I'd realised by now that without being conceited in any way if I spent more time where 'I' wanted, took the right guys with the right bikes try new routes that had been on my mind for several years and push it little further then everyone else would love it......well most of it!

That was just over a year ago, any new routes are already memorised with just a handful of gps waypoints for reference in case of poor weather. I have plan A,B,C and D all stored in my head.

It's time to head back to Iceland and see what she can offer us this time.

i-TdzPJzm-X4.jpg

Like I said.....everyone would love most of it.

i-JjrrJC8-X3.jpg

Is that one of those irresistible hot springs that I've been hearing about :)
If that's who I think it is we had a good chat this morning about the trip.

Is that one of those irresistible hot springs that I've been hearing about :)
If that's who I think it is we had a good chat this morning about the trip.

This was bad luck by entering at the wrong angle and going offline, if it's who we think then he really was amazing:)

I arrive Sunday morning and the trip proper which will be two full weeks doesn't begin until Thursday, this gives me time with my wonderful host and friend Throstur with his beautiful wife Silla and importantly for me, some time alone on the bike.

Silla's away for a few hours which gives us boys time to listen to some very loud music.

293455953_2274273626053145_7824534773071399325_n-X3.jpg

Loud and on an amazing sound system, we're having fun catching up.

294035341_3125204024397777_575828136645321246_n-X3.jpg

Next morning Throstur takes me for a spin in the Landcruiser, I get my bike and am reunited with my hat.

293709389_416114433815677_1335040695248863282_n-X2.jpg

A couple of jobs to the bike in Throstur's well equipped man cave.

20220718_134142-X4.jpg

20220718_134200-X4.jpg

Well stocked, it's time to ride my bike.

20220718_181729-X2.jpg

Clean!

20220718_163421-01-X2.jpg

All's well so late the following day I take off for a bit on familiar trails.

20220719_181924-X3.jpg

20220719_183458-X3.jpg

20220719_183911-X3.jpg

20220719_184904%280%29-X3.jpg

Later I take a ride around a large fjord that I hadn't fully explored previously and find the old whaling station with abandoned ships.

20220719_194127-X3.jpg

20220719_194138-01-X3.jpg

I was sorely tempted to camp here for the night.

20220719_200301-X3.jpg

But continued riding and found myself back in Reykjavik just in time to catch a pizza and pint.

20220719_213042-X2.jpg

Following day I meet up with two of our group, my great riding buddies Geoff and Bakerman.

IMG-20220720-WA0005-01-X3.jpg

I show them a trail which we'll do again tomorrow with the rest of the group then leave them to camp out while I return ready for the proper start in the morning.

20220720_135508-X3.jpg

Excellent stuff Tim - Watching with interest as I do like an Iceland adventure!

Has Geoff still got that fantastic Poskitt tuned 690?

So for all you 'Adventure bike' riders that may look in here, don't be put off riding in Iceland remember this trip was for single cylinder bikes only (ie. proper adventure bikes :toungincheek unless you're a very capable rider) many of the routes can easily be done with GS's etc.......as long as you understand how much luggage to take for two full weeks of camping, looking after your bike etc etc.

Less than a week into the trip one of the guys was actually looking for a charity shop to dump excess luggage, so remember you will always, always pack too much shit :D

Anyway, back to the start of the trip. We are 10! a much larger group than I'd generally consider but it did work out very well.

Steve and Geoff bought new hats and can now be referred to as the Chuckle Brothers

i-4cbxd72-X4.jpg

The night before starting the trip they camp out and do their thing with lighthouses

i-MrpRPDw-X3.jpg

i-WHxgxSX-X3.jpg

i-b7PRGpj-X3.jpg

Next morning I wait for the others to arrive at our cafe

i-hWDhLSj-X2.jpg

I'm joined by Rob on his 300 Rallye, don't worry that top bag is being dropped off!

i-dPCmMwr-X3.jpg

Then JD's well balanced 500

i-pzbLJs7-X3.jpg

Before too long we're all gathered, fuelled up, luggage checked and 'probably' won't fall off and we head out for our first easy trails and some road.
Virtually no photos from me as the weather was poor and we just cracked on stopping late afternoon for a good value feed, fish and chips for me mmmm.

i-7jhjwkX-X3.jpg

I'd planned on using a great campsite near a popular waterfall, I'd been there last year by myself however like so many places everywhere perhaps it hadn't survived for a host of reasons so blast up the dirt road and over a disused bridge crossing a huge river eventually brought us to another place we can stay the night.

Just one day in had highlighted a few bike issues for some and we spent part of the evening bodging and codging repairs.

i-7dfJWWt-X3.jpg

i-hkjbxtj-X3.jpg

Steve has an uncanny skill of letting his bike look after itself :D

i-mVpp58G-X3.jpg

Breakfast.

i-7KXFwgf-X2.jpg

And it's time to head into the Highlands.... whoopee!!

i-qr9W5G6-X3.jpg

We head inland and luckily the track here had been graded as can sometimes be 'uncomfortable' over the rocks.

i-fLL25Jp-X3.jpg

In the background we can see part of the Eyjafjallajökull volcano (2010 ash cloud fame) and ash deposits in the many glaciers.

i-fTrjnfV-X3.jpg

i-hM9Mk67-X3.jpg

Pressing on through miles of beautiful trail and countryside

i-nsqfc93-X3.jpg

John Van and a thumbs up from Terry:thumb2

i-CD96VQk-XL.jpg

i-Gkh5NnJ-X3.jpg

This whole area is stunning so I'll try to avoid using so many descriptive words :blast:D

Later our first river......

i-rcdBDrq-X3.jpg

Have it on good authority that there were no buns involved that time - it was a well executed deep dive for Icelandic riverbed coral.

Have it on good authority that there were no buns involved that time - it was a well executed deep dive for Icelandic riverbed coral.

You're well informed :D... Oh and I have a funny little joke that Jon from Reykjanes made to me later, he says hi to you when I told him you were hoping to to have been here.

One of the worst things about this crossing is how close it is to where a very popular hiking trail also crosses....which can sometimes mean an audience.

Not so bad when you're just about upright.

i-pdjrJ3w-X3.jpg

Not so good when.....:blast

i-GJJDHQ7-X3.jpg

i-9MLXCXS-X3.jpg

i-p6vGBGr-X3.jpg

One of the greatest observations I've made with 'trail riders' is their ability to instantly act as a team and this is so important for us all on trips like these.

i-ZXpvnGf-X3.jpg

i-FL6qpxN-X3.jpg

Oh and in case you were wondering, I do get wet and help out as well! But unless death is imminent the photo needs to be taken:D

JD brings H's bike across following there perfect line :okay

i-McKFL3r-X3.jpg

No problems for Baz on his lightweight Beta 390

i-zSDw6wM-X3.jpg

Liz an exceptional rider and great character, gives H a hand to to walk it.

i-ggdrGJN-X3.jpg

Now we have a long ride through rocks and sand before our next pretty river crossing.

Great pics and report, it looks amazing and makes me wish I hadn't sold my 450EXC (although I hate water crossings.)

Perhaps one of my favourite crossings as it's not only safe but in a very pretty setting.

i-j8LbWGV-X3.jpg

i-BMWfbWL-X3.jpg

Not sure what's going on here Steve:D

i-T5B7Pnj-X3.jpg

i-RF6Z95N-X3.jpg

JD straight in there helping out again:beerjug:

i-4w7mMNQ-X3.jpg

Geoff taking it in his stride, while Liz (I think the only one of us who didn't come off our bikes during the two weeks shows us blokes how to use our head and not testosterone when making decisions) :bow

i-FpkJrr2-X3.jpg

i-82rmRbx-X3.jpg

I know there's the most perfect wild camp spot here..

i-djkJwhM-X3.jpg

But we must move on

i-XpjXTZN-X3.jpg

We need to ride out of the Highlands, detour out on the road to brim our tanks and collapsable Desert Fox fuel cells for some before returning back into the hills and onto our camp for the night.

i-kfXPvcq-X3.jpg

Great pics and report, it looks amazing and makes me wish I hadn't sold my 450EXC (although I hate water crossings.)

It's the same for everyone, my saying is "They're great fun ...... until they're not" :D

Through time I've learnt to read a river to a certain extent but often still walk them first, apart from bad luck with a rock and the current if everyone follows the line that works to within a foot then all should be ok...if they don't then they're into the unknown, some of which should be obvious :blast;)

It's the weekend, the campsite's busy with 'young local people' singing and celebrating others returning from a long run....

....in fact sometimes out on a black gravel road in the rain with no habitation for miles we've seen a solitary beautiful blond woman, hair tied back and running hard, it's a sight to behold and tells a little about these wonderful people here....

....hmmm where was I?.... Oh yes the campsite, I take a walk up a narrow path as soft as a pillow where years of lichen has blanketed the lava, it follows a small stream with basalt columns caused by cooling and contracting lava.

20220722_211959-X4.jpg

20220722_211901-X3.jpg

20220722_211937-X3.jpg

A little further on I hear the roar of something much larger than this little stream and soon feel cool spray on my face

20220722_212334-X4.jpg

This amazing waterfall hits a wall and does a 90 degree right.

20220722_212851-X4.jpg

20220722_213527-X4.jpg

Further on the valley opens out and softness of the path belies the raw ruggedness of this country as I see how the lava had once flowed through here.

Just beautiful!

20220722_213307-X4.jpg

20220722_213418-X4.jpg

Returning to the campsite

20220722_213746-X4.jpg

I'm reminded how similar this landscape is to.......

20220722_213918-X3.jpg

Terry's hairstyle :D

IMG-20220808-WA0011-X3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom