ABS - 'Pressure Sensor Control Circuit Error'

RoyF

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Looking for a few pointers on this one please, I'm getting an ABS warning light come on with error '0x480A0B' 'Pressure Sensor Circuit Control Front p2T time interval' when I take a look with my GS-911..... It's on my K1600GT, but the unit looks identical to the one on my 2013 R1200 GSA.....

The ABS does work, certainly on the rear wheel, and I have run the bleed tests and cycled the ABS unit.

In the GS-911 diagnostics I get an increase in pressure in the front wheel circuit when I squeeze the hand brake lever, but no increase in the front control circuit pressure (stays at 0.0 psi), whereas if I press the foot brake, I get an increase in both the rear wheel pressure and the rear wheel control circuit which says about 0.6psi at rest then increases.

Have tried connecting the ABS ECU to another pump unit and still the same error message, so thinking the fault might be within the ABS ECU itself rather than the pump?. Any ideas or thoughts on this would be greatfully received....

Cheers, Roy.....

Hi Guys,

Looking for a few pointers on this one please, I'm getting an ABS warning light come on with error '0x480A0B' 'Pressure Sensor Circuit Control Front p2T time interval' when I take a look with my GS-911..... It's on my K1600GT, but the unit looks identical to the one on my 2013 R1200 GSA.....

The ABS does work, certainly on the rear wheel, and I have run the bleed tests and cycled the ABS unit.

In the GS-911 diagnostics I get an increase in pressure in the front wheel circuit when I squeeze the hand brake lever, but no increase in the front control circuit pressure (stays at 0.0 psi), whereas if I press the foot brake, I get an increase in both the rear wheel pressure and the rear wheel control circuit which says about 0.6psi at rest then increases.

Have tried connecting the ABS ECU to another pump unit and still the same error message, so thinking the fault might be within the ABS ECU itself rather than the pump?. Any ideas or thoughts on this would be greatfully received....

Cheers, Roy.....

I hope I do not appear condescending, but here goes:

The text of the fault code names the issue to the point. ''Pressure Sensor Circuit Control', and that is what appears to have failed.

Allow me to elaborate.
The first ABS systems, in case of BMW it's up to around 2003, give or take, the ABS servos where operating a plunger type control, kind of a mechamical sensing of brakepressure and controll. They worked, but where not very accurate, at least not compared to what followed.

The newer ABS control units are transparent until antilocking action is needed. The amount of brake pressure applied by the rider is monitored inside the ABS unit by means of a Brake fluid pressure sensor, and the ABS relive the applied pressure to the calipper (in order to unlock a locked wheel) by means of a solenoid that dumps the pressure in cycles. The computer actually allow the wheel to be locked for a short while prior to dumping the pressure in short bursts, and the it allows for more locking, and on and on.
And this locking periode is what is changed when engaging Enduro mode on the newer bikes. By allowing to front wheel to stay locked for a longer periode, the wheel will dig through the soft top surface of a gravel road and allow for the wheel to get in touch with firmer surface bellow the soft top layer.

Anyway, back to the fault code.
The pre LC bikes had a simpler ABS system, but still the same type of components, but less computer power and simpler software. But it stil contain an internal pressure sensor, and there are still some type of timed sequence involved when the ABS steps into action., so that is what the text is all about.

As for what to do:
These components are an internal part of the ABS control unit. If you go to the dealer, they will sell you a new ABS unit, and you will bleed money.

The bike systems are using car components, but with different software.

However, i suspect the internal mechanical components are the same as used in the cars. Hence, getting in touch with a company that refurbish ABS sytems may be the way to go.

How about starting with this company?
https://www.ecutesting.com/categories/abs-pump-modules/

Thanks for the very detailed expalnation knutk...... interesting reading...... I diagnosed further and narrowed it down to a fault in the ABS ECU rather than in the pump / valve block assy, I replaced the ECU which has now fixed the problem. On the plus side, I also managed to remone the 4 x torx screws that secure the ECU to the pump / valve block in situ which saved removing the whole unit and draining down, refilling, bleeding etc, so all is now good !! ...... Thanks also for the link to ECU Testing site.. :beerjug:

Roy...

a link wire "accidentally" falling off the circuit board between the external multi-plug and said board was the first designed in fault virtually every ABS modules built had, and was standard fitment on most cars more than 27 years ago. In fact GM were caught accidentally putting a special corrosion enhancement material on one leg of the many in their units. The german's where much more clever and used "a less obvious solder technique that would vibrate from the board over time".

It would be interesting to hear what you found?

Of course the prevalent failure where a certain bike manufacturer was rumoured to have deliberately ordered their units with the brush guides set to be a bit tight, so with carbon build up it could make the ESP pump go intermittent outside warranty, is a lie. But in case your unit somehow got like this, its just as well they didn't let VAG know this trick is unacceptable or the class action lawsuit wouldn't have happened and the VAG brush repair kit wouldn't a standard part to pick up from your local VW garage

Meanwhile re the current ABS module on newer bikes I can see this on another forum

don't jump to conclusions - read that document and you'll see it replaces an earlier document - the earlier one explains to model year xxx they ONLY ever used the plastic rivet on the bikes - then upgraded all later model year bikes worldwide with the metal bolt (thus introducing the fault of excessive vibration known to damaged the module) - but for the US market they have reversed out of the situation they introduced and are repairing the issue BUT have NOT done the same in other markets, nor made any other markets aware of the enhancement

AKA a class action lawsuit caught them by the short and curly's for one market and they are making money elsewhere

Thanks for the detailed write up botus.......I'll take the ECU module apart when I get chance and see what I can find.....

Back
Top Bottom