Thinking of buying a new MacBook - do they click?!

Orinoco

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Decided its time to replace my aged MacBook Pro of 2012 vintage, as I've just realised it's not updating anymore, stuck on Catalina (spelling?). As it's just used for browsing (sadly mostly UKGSER), streaming music and Basecamp I think the cheapest MacBook would do.

My wife hates the way current MBP trackpad 'clicks', do the new ones click or are they silent when pressed?

It's important for married life :D

Thanks

PS I have tried a nice Windows laptop from our son, but much prefer Mac and think we'd best stick with them

You could ride over to PC World in Dorchester and try one for yourself.

My M1 Macbook Air doesn't click unless I set it up to do so (right click). My understanding is it doesn't physically click but is a sound played to trick you into thinking it does.

On my 2020 version you can feel the 'click' although quite subtle. No issues in feeling if i have clicked the mouse or not.

I believe the track pad doesn't move, there is a magnetic system that simulates the movement. Apple call it "haptic". I stand to be corrected on that if wrong.
If you power off your machine and press the track pad what happens. Well it should be nothing in my experience .

I moved from a 2012 unibody MacBook Pro to a M1 MacBook Air. Lot faster, brighter screen and exceptional battery life. Bought mine about a year ago. Costco were doing the base model M1 for just under £900. The Apple store matched the discount.

Consider an Apple refurbished if priced correctly, they are a good buy and full warranty.

Hope this helps.

Thanks all, I think it will be a refurbished M1 MacBook Air, whether it clicks or not!

PS my 2012 MBP definitely has a trackpad click when it's powered off

I will be listing my m1 MacBook Air (gold) 256gb 8gb ram on here when I return from my hols in France, I am looking for 650 delivered, message me If interested. I obviously have no photos etc yet.

Back
Top Bottom