Heads-Up for a Bombing Run!

batman1

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just a quick heads-up for one of the best bike nights in Lincolnshire.

Lancaster Bomber Night

Next Wednesday 17th (August)

Times 5pm - 9pm

Entrance £5.00

Engine start-up at 8.0pm

Chock’s away!

Attachments

• C9113964-EC4E-4222-9AE7-085D222B7AAF.jpg
    C9113964-EC4E-4222-9AE7-085D222B7AAF.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 354
A little ironic maybe turning up on a bike made by a company that supplied aero engines to the Luftwaffe to hear an English aero engine start ?

A bit like riding a rice rocket to visit the Enola Gay.

Now I have the dam busters theme tune rolling around in my head. :D

In the mid 80's we were at the Strathallan aircraft museum and were invited for a tour around their newly restored Lancaster, a unique but extremely claustrophobic experience giving an insight on how scary it must have been to fly in one in combat.

Same aircraft was later damaged in a hangar collapse and is apparently according to the internet stored somewhere in bits, shame as it was flown into the UK from Canada in the mid 70's

It’s quite an exciting experience to hear (and feel) those Rolls Royce Merlins fire-up, and for many quite emotional in a strange kind of way!

If this had been a weekend id have gone, i love the Lancaster!!

But 3hrs each way on a Wednesday evening is a touch too far.... shame :(

I think this Lancaster is part of the Battle of Britain squadron, along with one or more Spitfires and Hurricanes, which is based at RAF Coningsby. I worked on the base during the early 1980s as part of the construction team building the concrete hangars for the (new at the time) Tornadoes. Every Friday afternoon during the summer the squadron leader would take out either the Spitfire or the Hurricane and throw it around the sky above the base for an hour or so. Very entertaining.

I think this Lancaster is part of the Battle of Britain squadron, along with one or more Spitfires and Hurricanes, which is based at RAF Coningsby. I worked on the base during the early 1980s as part of the construction team building the concrete hangars for the (new at the time) Tornadoes. Every Friday afternoon during the summer the squadron leader would take out either the Spitfire or the Hurricane and throw it around the sky above the base for an hour or so. Very entertaining.
Different Lancaster, this one is at East Kirby, Lincolnshire Aviation Centre and it isn’t cleared for flying but they taxi it up and down the runway.

I think that you must be referring to the BBMF which is a flight and not a squadron. They are part of the RAF. The one referred to here is a privately owned one.

As an aside, I was involved with the BBMF Lancaster during my 25 plus years with the RAF. I was also involved with 617 squadron Tornados who used to fly Lancasters during the war.
617 sqn tried to kill my mother when they dropped a tall boy earthquake bomb on Bielefeld, Germany, during the war where she lived as a child.
As an army brat I lived in Nienburg in Germany (1970s) where 617 dropped a grand slam bomb on the river bridge during the war.

Different Lancaster, this one is at East Kirby, Lincolnshire Aviation Centre and it isn’t cleared for flying but they taxi it up and down the runway.

I wasn’t aware of that one. It’ll still be a very impressive sight and sound. And combined with bikes too, I’m sure it will make a great evening.

It's happening Saturday with the lanc taxiing up the runway

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220521_115344_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg
    Screenshot_20220521_115344_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 250

Also known as Just Jane .....really hope they can get it in the air one day

Came past our house on 9 July this year.

Missed getting a photo but got this.

Attachments

• Plane.jpeg
    Plane.jpeg
    192.6 KB · Views: 199
Been a few times to the Aviation Museum but well worth another visit - aiming to get there between 5 and 6pm :thumb

Back
Top Bottom