Himalayan vs Scram

Wapping

Reaction score
Today I have the opportunity to ride both bikes, back-to-back around the same route out of London and into Essex. The route included:

Some motorway, M25 for one junction

Dual carriageway restricted to 50 mph

Dual carriageway national limit

Conventional A and B roads but including some single car width Essex type roads

In town through Brentwood (reasonably busy) 30 mph

Busy roundabouts on the A12

Things the bikes have in common:

They are very competitively priced.

Both are well made and very easy to ride. They are light, with the rider (31” inside leg) able to put both feet down very comfortably. They would both make excellent ‘new rider’ bikes or for anyone uncomfortable on taller or heavier bikes, either due to confidence or advancing years. There is absolutely no shame in any of that, as everyone has to start somewhere, may not be the biggest or strongest person alive and everyone gets older eventually.

Slow speed manoeuvres are easy.

The switch gear on both bikes is good quality.

The clutch and gearbox operations are smooth, with neutral easy to find at a standstill and with no missed gear changes or false neutrals. Clutchless gear changes going up the box are smooth; I didn’t try going down, simply as I forgot to.

The mirrors are slightly odd but OK when you get them set up and / or used to them. The mirrors do not vibrate or blur significantly.

The bikes are not powerful. There is not much point in pushing the rev counter much beyond 4,500 whilst the bike will max out at somewhere between an indicated 75 and 80 mph. When I say not powerful, they can hold their own off the lights, for a bit of busy roundabout rodeo and for getting past vehicles going along at around 45 mph. Anything faster, like an overtake of a car doing say 50 mph’ish is possible but you do have to give it some thought and plan accordingly; there is no extra 30 or more bhp on tap to blast you out of trouble. Patience, planning and a bit of half decent riding technique should see anyone fine.

The side stand is easy to locate, when sitting on the bike, both to lower and raise.

The instruments, though different on each bike, are easy to read.

All the riding was in daylight and good weather, so I did not get a chance to test the headlights.

The brakes are OK for the sort of speeds the two bikes will do. Neither bike needs multi-pot callipers but (maybe as the bike was was a bit new) they seemed to be a bit softer on the Himalayan. Nothing frightening though.

Where they differ

Whist both bikes share the same 25 horsepower, single cylinder engine, they are strangely different to ride.

On the Himalayan, you sort of sit ‘in the bike’, slightly lower I felt than the Scram, where you sort of sit ‘on the bike’. You are maybe more upright on the Scram but the view ahead on both is good.

The Scram is certainly more ‘Road orientated’ than the Himalayan.

The Himalayan has a nod to its adventure / off-road capabilities with a 21” front wheel versus the 19” wheel on the Scram. Whilst both bikes share the same basic frame, the Scram is slightly lighter and steers a little faster, but the 21” front wheel is not lazy, it maybe requires maybe requires a small touch more effort. Both bikes do though steer nicely and respond well (in a balanced way) to counter steering input.

The Himalayan seemed to dive a little bit more at the front, maybe due to a slightly different geometry but nothing like the very soft front end that I had on BMW F800R (which I had sorted out at MCT) or the soft front end on my 850 GSA, which is now sold. Braking though is pretty well balanced on both bikes.

The instruments on the Himalayan and Scram differ, with the Scram being the simpler of the two, with just one single speedo and no rev counter. The much bigger single clock (it’s a bit Mini car like) did catch the bright sun sometimes, almost dazzling me in a full face helmet.

The Himalayan has a basic screen, which keeps some wind off the rider’s chest. I am six foot and suffered no buffeting. The Scram I rode had no screen and gave a very nice, very even, wind ‘blast’ (that’s probably too strong a word) on the chest, supporting the rider. I am though not a rider who demands still air nor do I get upset with some buffeting; I see it as part and parcel of sitting outside on a motorcycle.

The Himalayan has a two seat set up (the rider and pillion are separate) whilst the Scram I rode had a one piece seat. Both seats were acceptably comfortable.

The Himalayan is set up for luggage from the start but both will carry whatever luggage you like, no question about that.

Conclusions

Both bikes are good value, competitively priced.

Neither bike will win the TT, nor top bragging rights in the pub, for bhp, torque or top speed. What they do offer though is simple, reasonably quick (in a modest way) comfortable riding. I know I could do 350 miles in a day on both, no problem at all. I see lots of ‘underpowered’ bikes at the top of Alpine passes, sitting quite comfortably alongside all sorts of much more expensive and much more powerful machines. I am confident both bikes will make it to the tops and back down again.

You wouldn’t want to sit all day on a motorway on either bike, though you could if necessary. Where it would suffer on say a busy M25 or similar motorway in the SE corner around London, would be one of relative speeds. At 60, you’d catch up with lorries in lane one. Lane two might be doing 65 or faster. You’d be caught in some sort of strange no man’s land. Not impossible to deal with but not the world’s greatest fun. An hour or so, Calais to Cambrai, woukd be OK.

Ergonomically and style wise, both bikes are on a reasonably comfortable par each other. I can though split hairs and say I preference the Himalayan a bit.

I was surprised how different the bikes were to ride. If someone is looking for a more ‘sports bike’ (in the very broadest sense) feel, then they’ll maybe enjoy the Scram more. If they are looking for a more relaxed feel, then the Himalayan may be a better choice. Ride them both and make your own mind up. I’ll come back to this later.

I preferred the clocks / dash on the Himalayan, liking the separate idiot lights. You don’t actually need the rev counter, as you very quickly get used to the noise the engine makes and the way the torque maxes out at about 4,500 rpm.

From the rider’s perspective, I preferred the view looking down at the front of the Himalayan. The front of the Scram seemed a bit untidy, with the square styled indicators sticking out, rather at odds with the very round speedometer. I did wonder if the flash of the indicator might be distracting at night?

The downside, for me at least, of the Scram and its more road biased feel, was that I continuously wanted to ride it faster. That is ridiculous, as it is only 25 bhp, it won’t go any faster! If that was what I wanted to do I would be much better off just spending more by buying a purpose built (much faster, much more powerful) naked bike from one if the mainstream manufacturers. I don’t want the bike to offer that, not least as I already have a 1600 which will deliver power and handling in spades, straight out of the crate.

I want a bike that is comfortable to ride, quiet in a nice way and at home cruising at 55 to 60 mph’ish, topping out at around 75’ish on a good day, with a run up. I want to relax on the thing and not spend all day wanting to ring its neck to squeeze out something that’s really not there; I did that when I was 17. For me, the Himalayan ticked that very simple box.

a9452fb20f35612fe772b94f804be626.jpg

164966472514e3750d4cdd95054eadb2.jpg

Today I have the opportunity to ride both bikes, back-to-back around the same route out of London and into Essex. The route included:

Some motorway, M25 for one junction

Dual carriageway restricted to 50 mph

Dual carriageway national limit

Conventional A and B roads but including some single car width Essex type roads

In town through Brentwood (reasonably busy) 30 mph

Busy roundabouts on the A12

Things the bikes have in common:

They are very competitively priced.

Both are well made and very easy to ride. They are light, with the rider (31” inside leg) able to put both feet down very comfortably. They would both make excellent ‘new rider’ bikes or for anyone uncomfortable on taller or heavier bikes, either due to confidence or advancing years. There is absolutely no shame in any of that, as everyone has to start somewhere, may not be the biggest or strongest person alive and everyone gets older eventually.

Slow speed manoeuvres are easy.

The switch gear on both bikes is good quality.

The clutch and gearbox operations are smooth, with neutral easy to find at a standstill and with no missed gear changes or false neutrals. Clutchless gear changes going up the box are smooth; I didn’t try going down, simply as I forgot to.

The mirrors are slightly odd but OK when you get them set up and / or used to them. The mirrors do not vibrate or blur significantly.

The bikes are not powerful. There is not much point in pushing the rev counter much beyond 4,500 whilst the bike will max out at somewhere between an indicated 75 and 80 mph. When I say not powerful, they can hold their own off the lights, for a bit of busy roundabout rodeo and for getting past vehicles going along at around 45 mph. Anything faster, like an overtake of a car doing say 50 mph’ish is possible but you do have to give it some thought and plan accordingly; there is no extra 30 or more bhp on tap to blast you out of trouble. Patience, planning and a bit of half decent riding technique should see anyone fine.

The side stand is easy to locate, when sitting on the bike, both to lower and raise.

The instruments, though different on each bike, are easy to read.

All the riding was in daylight and good weather, so I did not get a chance to test the headlights.

The brakes are OK for the sort of speeds the two bikes will do. Neither bike needs multi-pot callipers but (maybe as the bike was was a bit new) they seemed to be a bit softer on the Himalayan. Nothing frightening though.

Where they differ

Whist both bikes share the same 25 horsepower, single cylinder engine, they are strangely different to ride.

On the Himalayan, you sort of sit ‘in the bike’, slightly lower I felt than the Scram, where you sort of sit ‘on the bike’. You are maybe more upright on the Scram but the view ahead on both is good.

The Scram is certainly more ‘Road orientated’ than the Himalayan.

The Himalayan has a nod to its adventure / off-road capabilities with a 21” front wheel versus the 19” wheel on the Scram. Whilst both bikes share the same basic frame, the Scram is slightly lighter and steers a little faster, but the 21” front wheel is not lazy, it maybe requires maybe requires a small touch more effort. Both bikes do though steer nicely and respond well (in a balanced way) to counter steering input.

The Himalayan seemed to dive a little bit more at the front, maybe due to a slightly different geometry but nothing like the very soft front end that I had on BMW F800R (which I had sorted out at MCT) or the soft front end on my 850 GSA, which is now sold. Braking though is pretty well balanced on both bikes.

The instruments on the Himalayan and Scram differ, with the Scram being the simpler of the two, with just one single speedo and no rev counter. The much bigger single clock (it’s a bit Mini car like) did catch the bright sun sometimes, almost dazzling me in a full face helmet.

The Himalayan has a basic screen, which keeps some wind off the rider’s chest. I am six foot and suffered no buffeting. The Scram I rode had no screen and gave a very nice, very even, wind ‘blast’ (that’s probably too strong a word) on the chest, supporting the rider. I am though not a rider who demands still air nor do I get upset with some buffeting; I see it as part and parcel of sitting outside on a motorcycle.

The Himalayan has a two seat set up (the rider and pillion are separate) whilst the Scram I rode had a one piece seat. Both seats were acceptably comfortable.

The Himalayan is set up for luggage from the start but both will carry whatever luggage you like, no question about that.

Conclusions

Both bikes are good value, competitively priced.

Neither bike will win the TT, nor top bragging rights in the pub, for bhp, torque or top speed. What they do offer though is simple, reasonably quick (in a modest way) comfortable riding. I know I could do 350 miles in a day on both, no problem at all. I see lots of ‘underpowered’ bikes at the top of Alpine passes, sitting quite comfortably alongside all sorts of much more expensive and much more powerful machines. I am confident both bikes will make it to the tops and back down again.

You wouldn’t want to sit all day on a motorway on either bike, though you could if necessary. Where it would suffer on say a busy M25 or similar motorway in the SE corner around London, would be one of relative speeds. At 60, you’d catch up with lorries in lane one. Lane two might be doing 65 or faster. You’d be caught in some sort of strange no man’s land. Not impossible to deal with but not the world’s greatest fun. An hour or so, Calais to Cambrai, woukd be OK.

Ergonomically and style wise, both bikes are on a reasonably comfortable par each other. I can though split hairs and say I preference the Himalayan a bit.

I was surprised how different the bikes were to ride. If someone is looking for a more ‘sports bike’ (in the very broadest sense) feel, then they’ll maybe enjoy the Scram more. If they are looking for a more relaxed feel, then the Himalayan may be a better choice. Ride them both and make your own mind up. I’ll come back to this later.

I preferred the clocks / dash on the Himalayan, liking the separate idiot lights. You don’t actually need the rev counter, as you very quickly get used to the noise the engine makes and the way the torque maxes out at about 4,500 rpm.

From the rider’s perspective, I preferred the view looking down at the front of the Himalayan. The front of the Scram seemed a bit untidy, with the square styled indicators sticking out, rather at odds with the very round speedometer. I did wonder if the flash of the indicator might be distracting at night?

The downside, for me at least, of the Scram and its more road biased feel, was that I continuously wanted to ride it faster. That is ridiculous, as it is only 25 bhp, it won’t go any faster! If that was what I wanted to do I would be much better off just spending more by buying a purpose built (much faster, much more powerful) naked bike from one if the mainstream manufacturers. I don’t want the bike to offer that, not least as I already have a 1600 which will deliver power and handling in spades, straight out of the crate.

I want a bike that is comfortable to ride, quiet in a nice way and at home cruising at 55 to 60 mph’ish, topping out at around 75’ish on a good day, with a run up. I want to relax on the thing and not spend all day wanting to ring its neck to squeeze out something that’s really not there; I did that when I was 17. For me, the Himalayan ticked that very simple box.

a9452fb20f35612fe772b94f804be626.jpg

164966472514e3750d4cdd95054eadb2.jpg

PS I didn’t get a chance to test the Navigstion app.

As a matter of interest, did the dealer have both models in stock and choice of colours?

When we bought our Himalayan we chose the E4 on the availability of a preferred colour, the Scram wasn’t available.

The dealership in west London had a very limited stock in, telling me that they should restock in three to for weeks.

The dealership to the east of London, had a much better stock of bikes, all of the range, I think along with a good selection of demonstrators. I didn’t look at all the colours. They are a small shop, doubling up as Kawasaki dealership and scooter sales. Very helpful people too, though to be fair the bods in west London were fine as well. The chaps in east London said that if I wanted something specific colour wise, they’d call around the UK for me. All in all, a pretty good ‘customer experience’ and just five minutes walk from Newbury Park’s very futuristic tube station. Equally easy for me to get to as Shepherds Bush to the west is.

Richard cracking review , very objective and balanced. I have not ridden either but having read the above I feel I clearly understand the p&c for both.

Steve

Richard cracking review , very objective and balanced. I have not ridden either but having read the above I feel I clearly understand the p&c for both.

Steve

Agree with Steve, but not ridden the Scram. Good one Wappers, objective and well balanced as Steve says above :thumby:

You should be writing for Motorcycle News (Is it still going?)

:beerjug:

Great review Wapping, thanks for the time and effort to write it up. Particularly agree with the last paragraph as I have found my Himalayan to tick that box and as such has covered more miles last year than the GSA.

Thank you all.

One nice touch on the Himalayan is that the foot pegs have removable rubber inserts as standard. On bikes like my 1200 GSA and my 850 GSA, the foot pegs as supplied were of the ‘off road’ shark’s teeth type. These rip the hell out of conventional motorcycling boots, Daytona for example, with their much softer soles. To avoid this happening you then have to buy rubber inserts.

The Himalayan treats the same problem but the other way around. Royal Enfield supply the bike with the rubbers already inserted. If you then want to go off-road, using say motocross boots and not your expensive soft soled Daytona boots, you simply take the rubber inserts off. Genius!

Mine came without the rubber inserts on the footpegs, the previous owner said he bought the bike like that .... so the first owner must have taken them off.

So I'm looking for a pair of inserts ....

Mine came without the rubber inserts on the footpegs, the previous owner said he bought the bike like that .... so the first owner must have taken them off.

So I'm looking for a pair of inserts ....

Probably cheap enough at a main dealer
RE bits are reasonable if that rack price is anything to go by

Cheers Richard :beerjug:

As someone who is planning to scratch a long held Enfield itch those reviews were very helpful.
I'm undecided between Bullet 500, trials version of same, Himi and now the Scram!

Although I must confess that my head was turned last night by an Enfield Constellation 1960 700cc :love

Excellent review and very much what we found in the video

So will you get a Himalayan ?

Thank you.

I was thinking about your video as I trundled around, along with Micky’s comments, not least as it was striking me how close they all were to what I was experiencing. The thing that really surprised me most is how different to ride the Scram is to the Himalayan. If I was only ever hooning across London in the rush hour or just wanted an hour out on the bike once a month, then the Scram would work. But neither is really my thing. I have free public transport in London and walk to work, so I rarely have call to use a motorcycle. Most of my jaunts are longer distances, as it’s not worth me getting a bike out for much under 250 miles. The lazier style of the Himalayan suited me and for what I want to use it for, which is two things:

1. To tow behind my motorhome. I can and have towed the 1600 but it really is over the top. I had thought about a scooter (good as they are) but - as at today - they are not really my thing, plus a bigger decent one isn’t necessarily cheap.

2. God willing, I retire next year. I plan on riding the German motorcycle route in full (hopefully) and / or seeing more of that huge country. Of course I can do it on my 1600 (or anything really) but it sort of suits me to have the idea of doing it at 55 to 60 mph, taking my time about it all. I don’t need a heap of luggage, so the slower pace of the Himalayan should hit the mark. I rode the small engined BMW and hated it. I had an ex-demonstrator 850 GSA (I had hoped to go to the Ukraine this year with a mate) but p’exd it for my new 1600. The 850 though is just a modern, very capable, very good bike but I don’t want to go at 80, 90 or 100 around Germany this time. Similarly, I looked at the Yamaha Tracer, I think they are called. A very good bike but ‘Too fast’, if you get my drift. I am working on getting a price for a Himalayan from the dealership in east London. Their demonstrator (which I would normally be happy with) is in the camouflage colours, which isn’t really my thing.

One difference between the two bikes that I had forgotten, is that the Himalayan comes with a centre stand as standard. This suits me as I need to keep the bike upright in my garage to save space. My HP4 I used to prop up on its side sand, once with very nearly catastrophic consequences.

Nice review :thumb2

You really do seem to have appreciated the Himalayan's many plusses whilst at the same time recognising it's weaker areas but managing to write of them objectively, recognising that the weaker areas are mainly due to the bike's low power which can be got over by lowering your expectations and, it not being an expensive bike to buy, therefore a bit "budget" shall we say.

Interesting is your apraisal of the Scram; i'm not surprised at the sharper steering as it does have, as you pointed out, the smaller front wheel. Not ridden one but i can and will get a ride on one at A&D Denbigh sometime.

Back
Top Bottom