1250GS - zero electric power. Stranded in Holland!

Snelly55

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Came out of my office in Utrecht today to start my bike tour of the Netherlands and bike won’t start, TFT won’t come on, totally dead.

It’s been fine for the past 300 miles since Monday and is now knackered, completely without warning.

Am in a local hotel now, as for the past 3 hours since I logged the case with BMW international roadside assistance, they have done precisely nothing to sort the situation so my plans to travel today are goosed.

Bike is in an office car park, steering lock won’t power on obviously and frankly, any scrote could wheel it away.

Tour largely screwed. Additional hotel room cost tonight. An absolute shitshow.

Is it time for a Multistrada? I think it might be.

Came out of my office in Utrecht today to start my bike tour of the Netherlands and bike won’t start, TFT won’t come on, totally dead.

It’s been fine for the past 300 miles since Monday and is now knackered, completely without warning.

Am in a local hotel now, as for the past 3 hours since I logged the case with BMW international roadside assistance, they have done precisely nothing to sort the situation so my plans to travel today are goosed.

Bike is in an office car park, steering lock won’t power on obviously and frankly, any scrote could wheel it away.

Tour largely screwed. Additional hotel room cost tonight. An absolute shitshow.

Is it time for a Multistrada? I think it might be.

Don’t fret, too much
Check the connection points etc
I am sure BMW’s Assist will sort it pronto

Could be a loose battery cable connection or a bad main earth connection.
Could be a goosed battery.
I understand the stress it’s causing but hopefully BMW will soon get you on your way again.

Beyond checking the battery terminals etc as above. I can’t remember, is there a bloody big central fuse (40 amps or summat) if so, is that intact?

Did you leave something like a phone connected to the bike, causing a parasitic drain? I saw a GS flatten it’s battery to zero, nothing even vaguely alive, as a phone had been left connected. A jump start sorted it out. Likewise, I flattened a car battery, just by leaving the tailgate open, in Twickenham’s north car park in the happy days when we could BBQ there.

Cheer up, it could be raining and you have a hotel. Three hours is nothing at the height of the European holiday season; you won’t be the only bod with a problem today or tomorrow or next week.

Ouch . I guess you have disconnected/ reconnect the battery. Otherwise try to jump it or swap the battery . It’s all part of the adventure they tell me . I read it here . Think Wapping said so ��

5 hours now and no help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This sounds like a dead battery.

Surely, there must be some way to do some self-help? Jumper cables are not hard to get, and surely, there must be some cars around where you can borrow some power for a jump start? Even if the battery is busted/shorted, as soon as the engine is started, it should be possible to ride the bike to the nearest BMW dealer?

Battery is dead, Bmw will blame the tracker

Nothing left connected, no.

6 hours and no show from BMW so I walked back to the office and push it back a mile or so to the secure hotel compound. It’s over 26 degrees here still so am sweating cobs but at least I will sleep better.
2a87fb695861cad57a087eb68b795f3a.jpg

I could’ve tried the jump leads option but by the time I’d waited for the length of time BMW asked, the shops were closed.

nice selfie. you defo are a clammer person than me ...heads would be rolling .hope you get sorted and they reimburse you

Had a similar issue in May with a 1250, it was a duff battery, just get it replaced and hopefully you will be ok.

If you’re away on “an adventure “ then why aren’t you carrying a jump pack just in case?
Could’ve saved yourself a lot of grief for £40

I carry a NOCO Boost plus GB40 with me at all times for this very reason.

I know its no help now, but buy one for the future.
its a backup for this and also a backup to charge your phone in an emergency.
they don't take up much room.

let us know when your sorted.

I carry a NOCO Boost plus GB40 with me at all times for this very reason.

I know its no help now, but buy one for the future.
its a backup for this and also a backup to charge your phone in an emergency.
they don't take up much room.

let us know when your sorted.

Genius idea. I'll get myself one for my next tour, thanks for the tip.

I figured with BMW Assist I wouldn't need to worry about stuff like this and the mothership would have it all covered, but reading this thread makes me think that the support offered isn't what it used to be.

If you’re away on “an adventure “ then why aren’t you carrying a jump pack just in case?
Could’ve saved yourself a lot of grief for £40

Indeed
I carry a small set of compact motorcycle leads for the bike, but a jump pack is a great addition to ones adventure toolkit

Back
Top Bottom