Dehydrated Camping Food

DJ123

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Any recommendations for makes, meals & places to get them? I've seen Cotswolds & Decathlon have a selection (as do Amazon).

Have a look on here. :thumb2
https://basecampfood.com/

I can highly recommend the Summit To Eat range. :thumb2

Especially the Pasta Bolognaise. I either have the big pack on its own or the smaller one with one of the supermarket packet rices. Very tasty and filling. :thumb2

I get mine from Go Outdoors. It’s okay for what it is, 600 calories per meal, breakfast and tea. They have a discount system, buy one, get the second half price.

‘Look what we found’ from a good supermarket

Organic and locally sourced meat…great food, like homemade

e954ca531508b53e63f9e0f4c90e27ea.jpg

5cdc4434da7aeaa463e3c3d5542ae3fc.jpg

This stuff is very good, air dried, the meals are made up with quality ingredients and are actual cooked meal before being dried. We recently used c100 meals from them at the Gig rowing championships

https://www.firepotfood.com/

I should mention it’s owned by my neighbour and the meals are prepared on a farm just down the road

FirePot meals are cooked as a meal using fresh ingredients, they don’t buy bulk dry onions for example and put the prescribed amount, together with others in your packet so that the first time it’s a meal is when you pour water on it.

You see trays of there cooked food and they look and are very tasty - Then it’s air rather than freeze dried.

If the need is to get good calories into your body, it’s the way to go :thumb

Note: If you are alone in your tent and enjoy the smell of your own farts. Then there posh pork and beans is the way to go :D

Why would dehydrated be any better (or worse) than the stuff above
Not mischievous, no difference in weight I doubt?
Just pop it in a cookpot and heat up

Mate there's a huge difference in weight the OP was asking about dehydrated meals and as good as 'Look what we Found' is, it's not that :)

Thanks for the recommendations so far. Not fussed if its dehydrated, MRE etc. Anything that is a prepared meal in a pack that i can heat up and requires no additional input is what i'm after

A can of "Stag" Chili Con Carne and a tray of microwaveable ready-cooked rice does the job for me. (Other tinned foods are available like a Chicken Curry etc.)

Throw it together in one pot over a single burner stove to heat it up, ready to eat in about two minutes.

Its not dehydrated but it does the job, its cheap and satisfying when hungry.

24 hr ration packs not very good for you to eat when touring on a bike, they are designed for high energy output i.e. walking climbing etc etc most of the ration packs are 3500 to 4000 calories per box and the cold weather ones are 6000 or higher
even though some people make damn hard work of riding a bike its not in the same league.

24 hr ration packs not very good for you to eat when touring on a bike, they are designed for high energy output i.e. walking climbing etc etc most of the ration packs are 3500 to 4000 calories per box and the cold weather ones are 6000 or higher
even though some people make damn hard work of riding a bike its not in the same league.

you don't have to eat all of the box.....

i'll be riding more than eating. it's mainly the meals and some snacks i'm after which will bridge a couple of days.

Back
Top Bottom