Himalayan luggage

My long service tank bag in place:

7e70c833f6c4848fffc8e88f2d1d975f.jpg

3c4a8c0f54740388e83946acdbeff71a.jpg

It’s not a perfect fit but there again, nothing on a Himalayan is.

Lomo soft panniers fitted to front racks. They're the medium size: too small for sleeping bags etc so contain only the air pump and puncture kit (NB 12v outlet on OS side panel.) The other will probably contain stove/gas bottle and aeropress on trips.

I've a large Lomo bag that goes across the pillion area for the tent, sleeping mat and chair. Soft panniers for clothes, sleeping bag , toiletries etc still being investigated!

84b0d83f62cba5127ae82a5103050140.jpg

Slightly off topic as nothing to do with luggage, but! Took a himilayan out for a test ride yesterday, 21 plate demonstrated, with 4000 miles, my only criticism really was the front brake was not very effective, is this normal to these bikes and if so is there a way of improving it? Thanks in advance.

Just like the F800GS when introduced. The journo's faulted it for not too keen a front brake ... but if you pulled hard it stopped without a problem ...

... but both bikes have 21" front wheels and are made for some off road work, and the last thing you want then is a keen front brake :eek:

Sufficient to say the brakes are fine in my opinion :thumb

:beerjug:

Lomo soft panniers fitted to front racks. They're the medium size: too small for sleeping bags etc so contain only the air pump and puncture kit (NB 12v outlet on OS side panel.) The other will probably contain stove/gas bottle and aeropress on trips.

I've a large Lomo bag that goes across the pillion area for the tent, sleeping mat and chair. Soft panniers for clothes, sleeping bag , toiletries etc still being investigated!

84b0d83f62cba5127ae82a5103050140.jpg
Nice to see four old passerby’s stop and look at the bikes.:D

I know it is a bit odd but has anyone ever tried putting a sissy bar on? I am used to the Harley cruisers for long touring and shifting to adventure touring. I mean how can you guys adjust without the sissy bar bags? Sissy bar bags almost carry 70% of your luggage. I know there are some trunk racks available but they are nowhere as good as the sissy bar bags so has anyone ever tried them?

I know it is a bit odd but has anyone ever tried putting a sissy bar on? I am used to the Harley cruisers for long touring and shifting to adventure touring. I mean how can you guys adjust without the sissy bar bags? Sissy bar bags almost carry 70% of your luggage. I know there are some trunk racks available but they are nowhere as good as the sissy bar bags so has anyone ever tried them?

I’ve used this option because it’s so easy to remove the parts you don’t want to be seen with on most days of the year.

https://ventura-bike.co.uk/

Another thread in the pub has got me thinking about digging out my Ventura luggage (I was always a big fan) and fitting it to my Himalayan, in place of the standard metal boxes. Has anyone here gone down that route?

I see from Micky’s thread in the pub, about some Medieval gathering or other he’s been to, that Adventure Spec’s Magadan soft panniers get a thumbs up.

Fast forward to 39:00 to see them mounted on the bike.

It’s a long video but delivered in a pleasantly ‘amateur’ way, rather than being an overproduced effort.

Here’s another from the Adventure Spec site. Again, an ‘amateur’ explanation (ie. not over styled) but not bad for all that.

Helped no doubt that they work well with the Himalayan’s standard pannier rails, whilst others might require additional plates or scaffolding. I have decided to go with the Magadan panniers, as an alternative to my Royal Enfield spam tins. Sadly, Adventure Spec won’t be at the London Motorcycle Show this week, or I would have gone to speak to them there. As it was, my couple of questions of them have been answered quickly by email.

Last edited:
My Magadan panniers and a couple of the Molle pouches have arrived, from Adventure Spec, via DHL.

Good communication with Adventure Spec, not least because I could not get their online ordering system to work. I’ll try them out on my Easter jaunt, heroically navigating the D roads of the Pas de Calais.

I didn’t bother with the waterproof liners. Whilst I read that the saddle bags do not leak too much, I’ll use some much thinner ‘Dry-bags’. Not least, these are easy to lift out, take up less space and will save me carting the saddle bags about too often. I have a selection of them or maybe something like this, if I don’t have quite the right shape:

IMG_5038.png

Last edited:
Another thread in the pub has got me thinking about digging out my Ventura luggage (I was always a big fan) and fitting it to my Himalayan, in place of the standard metal boxes. Has anyone here gone down that route?
Yes I bought a used bag and gave up looking for a used frame and eventually bought a new one, which was much more expensive than the bag.

I had a very quick look at a comparison of the volumes between the standard Royal Enfield tin box panniers and the larger Magadan soft luggage.

26 litres versus 32 litres. My world is now richer.

The time just flies by, when you get into biker banter.

Only just dipped into this thread whilst passing. These looked good on an RE at Ladybower yesterday

IMG_20240224_155527621.jpg

IMG_20240224_155516450.jpg

Back
Top Bottom