Pulsing Front Brake.

Alison1

Reaction score
I have a 2019 r1250gsa with 7000 miles on it. I bought it at 3000miles. All serviced properly and never ridden or braked hard by me. Started to notice a lot of pulsing when using the front brake, the brake lever moves back a forth! This cannot be normal surely, has anybody experienced this??

Hi welcome to the forum,

Could be a warped disc?

or and heres a strange one.... could be something jammed between pad and disc (ive had this)
try putting the bike on centre stand, get someone to sit on it so front wheels off the ground and spin it.
check it spins freely and check the disc either side at same time.

As its under warranty i would take it back to the dealer and ask them to look at it.
it may be something simple, but better to be safe than sorry.... brakes are important!

Don’t forget that the brakes are linked so it could be either front or rear disks mentioned I would get the bike back to the dealers to sort out s it could be any number of things including the ABS system.

A stuck caliper piston can create exactly the same symptoms as a warped disc, and is more likely than a disc warping. :thumb

Thanks, I'm currently on a tour of Norway but I'm going to see a dealer tomorrow and see what they say.
Only had the bike 3 months, needed to change the fuel filler cap today £350 as would not open. First BMW but it might be my last!

I have a 2019 r1250gsa with 7000 miles on it. I bought it at 3000miles. All serviced properly and never ridden or braked hard by me. Started to notice a lot of pulsing when using the front brake, the brake lever moves back a forth! This cannot be normal surely, has anybody experienced this??

Its a built in warning, to tell you that your battery is about to fail.

First BMW but it might be my last!

I had a Honda once and something electronic went wrong to the tune of £1100, would never buy another Honda. Mate had a Yamaha that had to have a new alternator fitted, would never have a Yamaha. Another mate had a Harley that used to break down once a day, would never buy one of those.

They all break down at some point, just some more than others!

On closer inspection it could be a warped disc one section is dark and has no wear. Hopefully get it sorted tomorrow. Strange though as it looks like it's been knocked but I've never noticed anything.

On closer inspection it could be a warped disc one section is dark and has no wear. Hopefully get it sorted tomorrow. Strange though as it looks like it's been knocked but I've never noticed anything.
Have you had a new tyre fitted recently? I’ve experienced the same symptoms on two bikes one a rental HD in the USA the other my own r1200gs. Both had warped discs caused by a heavy handed tyre fitter not taking due care.
Alan R

Had something similar at 4k on my last bike a 2017 Versys 650, turned out to be a warped disc, £400 for a new pair of EBC discs. Whatever the make none of them are perfect and will put you off any brand.

Warped discs are most noticeable at slow speeds - calliper issues will be at all speeds.

I recently had a tyre fitted a BMW dealer in Chester. I was not impressed by them at all at the time, could have been that.

Thanks, I'm currently on a tour of Norway but I'm going to see a dealer tomorrow and see what they say.
Only had the bike 3 months, needed to change the fuel filler cap today £350 as would not open. First BMW but it might be my last!
same thing happened to me first time I went to fill my 2017 model, rather than spend any money I asked Google after that I dropped a very small amount of light oil into the catch and it hasnt happened again in the last year, PS if you bought the bike from a BMW dealer I would be seeing them about a refund under the warranty (you can only ask) the joys of buying mechanical items :beerjug:

I had a Honda once and something electronic went wrong to the tune of £1100, would never buy another Honda. Mate had a Yamaha that had to have a new alternator fitted, would never have a Yamaha. Another mate had a Harley that used to break down once a day, would never buy one of those.

A friend of mine had a motorcycle once and it broke and left him stranded. He has never bought a motorcycle again. A year later his car broke. He'll never buy a car again. He only uses his private jet now.

I had a similar experience with the fuel filler cap on my 2019 1250. Once it failed to open. When I brought it in for a service I told them about it. They replaced the cap under warranty, no problem.

I bought a R1250GS in March last year with 3000 miles on the clock and experienced the same sensation late last year. Dealer checked and one disc was at tolerance, the other slightly beyond. I was disappointed that warped discs weren't covered under warranty tho after several e mails BMW offered £150 and the dealer I bought the bike from matched it, so I'm halfway towards covering the costs! Similarly this is my first BMW and I'm left wondering about whether out really is a premium product!

I`m wondering the same thing, I`ve done 5000 miles since I bought it in June and since then I`ve found out both panniers leak (badly!) a lock fell out of each too, warped front disc, emergency call failure warning comes on for no reason, strange rattle from the left cylinder under acceleration when warm and the fuel flap failure. The seat is really comfy though.

I had something similar on a Kawasaki Versys 650 2 years ago at only 4k, kept popping up as an advisory on MOT so finally decided to change them. Dismayed at £400 for new discs and pads at such low mileage, things ain't what they used to be.

I`m wondering the same thing, I`ve done 5000 miles since I bought it in June and since then I`ve found out both panniers leak (badly!) a lock fell out of each too, warped front disc, emergency call failure warning comes on for no reason, strange rattle from the left cylinder under acceleration when warm and the fuel flap failure. The seat is really comfy though.

Panniers have leaked on all my BMW's, its why I bought the excellent waterproof inner bags which I've used with all of them. (I hate wet underwear.)
The emergency call failure warning is when the bike loses its cellular network connectivity, its usually brief when going through a mobile phone blackspot like a tunnel or valley.
My left cylinder sounds like a bag of spanners....the standard answer from BMW will be "they all do that sir", don't waste your breath asking.
The seat is a soft, podgy, squidgy instrument of torture for me.
Horse for courses.

Back
Top Bottom