The Beaumont Hotel, Louth - Avoid at all costs

Lord Snooty

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Strap yourselves in for a bit of a story regarding this hotel/

Me and two mates decided to go to the classic racing weekend at Cadwell on July 2/3rd. On June 7th I rang this hotel and booked the rooms for one night on July 2nd and paid over the phone with Mastercard and received the confirming email that day.

Roll forward to July 2nd, we rock up to the hotel at lunchtime (luckily we decided to go there early rather than at the end of the day after watching the racing), receptionist checks and she has no bookings for us. I show her the confirming email and she investigates the system - when their employee had taken the booking she had erroneously entered the date as June 2nd and not July 2nd - obviously five days in the past. The hotel was fully booked so we sat down in the hotel lounge and with the magic of the internet found another place The Half Moon Hotel at Alford - which I will thoroughly recommend to you.

The hotel admitted their error and refunded my Mastercard and we were away.

At no point did we get an apology, any offer of assistance to find an alternative and not even an offer of a brew while we got ourselves sorted, so pretty rubbish customer care so far.

Fast forward to the evening and we are in the Half Moon bar and I get an email from the Beaumont insisting that we had stayed their on June 2nd! I replied by asking how we had managed to defy the laws of physics and travel back in time, I must admit I also became very sarcastic in my reply as it was utterly surreal. I also asked them to provide evidence of our stay such as completed registration cards, vehicle registrations etc which of course they don't have.

The discussion was completely bizarre and illogical and ignored a few very obvious facts.

1. How did we travel back in time.
2. Why would we turn up on July 2nd knowing that we had stayed on June 2nd and did not have any rooms booked.
3. The booking would have to have been made before June 2nd so where is the email evidence.
4. The payment would have been taken prior to June 2nd - again no evidence.
5. No hotel would allow three guests to stay and leave without payment and then take payment 5 days later.

You really could not make this up!

I realised I was arguing with an idiot so I left it at that but I had a sneaking suspicion that they might recharge me as they had my Mastercard details.

Sure enough, when my CC bill came through they had retaken the money on July 2nd, probably as soon as we had left the hotel after the refund.

I contacted my CC and raised the issue and they have followed it up with the hotel and got the money back for me.

I have left a scathing Tipadvisor report which is yet to be published, I may have been a bit robust in my criticism. However, I read through a few of their reviews and it is apparent that they have form for this kind of thing, taking payment from guests credit cards without any justification.

So, my advice is to avoid this place like the plague and stay at the Half Moon Hotel which is a really pleasant 14 mile ride from Cadwell and run by a lovely South African couple and the place is delightful.

Hi Lord,

Motorcycle parking at the Half Moon?

:nenau

Thanks for the heads up on the hotel.

TD
:thumb2

I guess we could all give them a call today and see if we can make a room reservation for the 7th August :augie :green gri

I have to agree about the Beaumont.

Over the years I've stayed in every hotel/pub in and around Louth when I worked at the gas terminal at Theddlethorpe St. Helens.

The Brackenborough Arms and the Kenwick Park are two good ones - I didn't have to pay the bills though. :D

Colleague of mine has been banned from the Beaumont for leaving a bad review. The woman at the hotel actually phoned her to tell her that she would not be allowed back there.

Colleague of mine has been banned from the Beaumont for leaving a bad review. The woman at the hotel actually phoned her to tell her that she would not be allowed back there.

As if she would consider going back after a bad experience! The management at this hotel seems to lack any rationality, logic or basic common sense.

Back
Top Bottom