Helmet Options

LochLaddie

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I will be buying a new helmet this year, Shoei has been my fit of choice and I thought I would be going for a flip Shoei then I seen a someone with a Givi at the fuel station which I thought looked good.

It's going to be a flip helmet so the question is, are there helmets that fit like a Shoei I should consider?

I think a Schuberth is worth considering (latest is the C5), and has multiple lining options so can be adjusted to fit well, and comfortably.

I went from Shoei to a HJC RPHA and I’m very happy with it, they do flip front lids in their top range and they’re well priced

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/580507-HJC-RPHA-70?p=6304003&viewfull=1#post6304003

HJC is an interesting option ....

I think a Schuberth is worth considering (latest is the C5), and has multiple lining options so can be adjusted to fit well, and comfortably.

Previously tried a Schuberth not comfortable for me.

as mentioned, there are multiple lining options to make it fit. Might be worth going to a shop with these and seeing if it is comfortable with the right lining installed.

Unless there's a variation i've not seen outside the standard & Pro version, the Krios is a full face helmet. Not a flip front.

shark are pretty much the same as shoei, I always had shoei until switched to a shark evo one same size and fitment in both makes

I went from Shoei to HJC RPHA 10 and now RPHA 90 flip, both good quality, comfortable, nice fit, sun visor on the 90, I tried a Schuberth and a shark flip front but the HJC felt better quality.
The RPHA90 has been upgraded and the previous models can be had for just over £200, the new model is over 400.
The top air vent has a slight rattle on mine when it’s open but my wife’s is fine.

Al.

There are loads of good helmets around nowadays. HJC, Shark, Schuberth (maybe), X-lite and Shoei lead the way in flip fronts. Go to a major retailer and try some on. See what fits best. See what features you want, for example a drop down sun visor. Look at cost, weight, even colour.

Then buy a Shoei.

I recently bought my first flip up helmet - Shoei Neotec 2 with the sena comms kit.

I reviewed/tried on several helmets prior to my purchase, settling on the Neotec 2 & am delighted with my choice. The fit (I had an in person fitting) is perfect, the comms kit works very well and the overall build/quality is 1st class.

Managed to get a few quid off using the Moto Legends discount scheme.

I got myself a HJC RPHA 90S.......very impressed with it.

It's a very sporty looking flip-up helmet, light for a flip and is very plush.

S20 5G sent this......

My trusty Shoei Air2 is getting on for six years old, and is due for replacement.

I am inclined towards a flip-front but have never owned one, and would be interested in the experiences of anyone who does currently use one.

Does the added weight make much difference?

Do you ever ride round with the chin bar up?

Do you walk around with the helmet on and chin bar up?

Is it noisier than a FF equivalent?

Intercom pre-fitted or self-fitted? Work ok?

I guess, fundamentally, is the perceived convenience actually worth the extra cost and complexity?

Ta

My trusty Shoei Air2 is getting on for six years old, and is due for replacement.

I am inclined towards a flip-front but have never owned one, and would be interested in the experiences of anyone who does currently use one.

I guess, fundamentally, is the perceived convenience actually worth the extra cost and complexity?

Ta

Love my Neotec 2 ,especially as I now have the new Sena Mesh kit fitted.
Used it the last few weeks in France.
When it was hot I regularly flipped it up when riding through villages.
Also rode with it up over the cols to enjoy the view better.
Great helmet made better by a banging audio/comms system.

Ta

Does the added weight make much difference? - tbh, i don't really notice it

Do you ever ride round with the chin bar up? - sat in traffic on hot days, or slow riding around town. But not over 30mph

Do you walk around with the helmet on and chin bar up? - no. only at petrol stations from Bike>till and back

Is it noisier than a FF equivalent? - flip up's are generally quieter than a FF due to the way they're designed

Intercom pre-fitted or self-fitted? Work ok? - i have the SC2 in the C5. And it works well.

I moved from the GT Air 2 to a Schuberth C5. Fit is better, comfort is better, its quieter, doesn't mist up as quick, vents better & is an easier helmet to live with overall.

I got it (the C5) with the SC2 intercom for a total price of £620 from MotoLegends using their price match

I have a Shark Evo one 2
It is a bit noisier than the the preceeding GT Air
It is homologated to wear both with the front up and down
I liked that it goes all the way to the back so the chinbar doesn't act like a sail
I will ride with the helmet flipped open when it's warm enough
Have a Cardo packtalk I fitted. The base unit is located a little further back on the helmet than on a fixed helmet but works fine
All things considered, I quite like the option of open faced helmet and very handy when touring.

Does the added weight make much difference? No

Do you ever ride round with the chin bar up? Only in towns/villages @ slow speeds

Do you walk around with the helmet on and chin bar up? At petrol stations primarily; could do in a supermarket/shop if so inclined

Is it noisier than a FF equivalent? Quieter I'd say

Intercom pre-fitted or self-fitted? Work ok? I have the integrated sena comms kit & works fine

I guess, fundamentally, is the perceived convenience actually worth the extra cost and complexity? I got discount via Motolegends price match scheme ;)

Ta

Have a read of this:

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/581824-Flip-Front-Helmets-Test

Thanks guys, sounds quite positive. I’m going to have to try one.

Cheers
S

Back
Top Bottom