Something a bit different in the far west coast....

Just your style, Gerry. Enjoy. For those looking for less salubrious accommodation in the area have a look at

http://www.gearrannan.com/hostel/

Hostel in the Blackhouse village of Garenin, north of Callanish. Even it looks as though it has had a substantial upgrade since I was last there over twenty years ago.

Thanks Jim...Pete Norman and I visited there pre pox....

Bit of a lost day yesterday...I went up the glen to fish, but overdid my hip....couldn't sleep a wink with sore hip and then could barely get across the room. Able to move relatively easy this am....getting old is no fun but better than the alternative!

Some pix of the house and surrounds...
acd634d24a6f676de758d1c95ef12d39.jpg
017aa7fd3443b801d74c25fa12a371c5.jpg

Some views on the track out....the V90 XC has on off road mode which is handy. The journey to the tarmac is an hour.
c5ff864e50887ee1391e0014db83d08f.jpg
fb955423a2afcdef303dd216845b859e.jpg

The next habitation due north is in Greenland...

This bit of Scotland really is on the north western edge of Europe...

I first came to this neck of the woods nearly 50 years ago as a leader with a Venture Scout unit from Welwyn Garden.
Travelling even then was a different affair...they picked me up in Lochearnhead, which was their first night, we then travelled to Sligachan on Skye via Mallaig and camped by the bridge. The next night was in a Scout hall in Stornoway.
Then on to our base in Valtos...an old school, turned outdoor centre.
I went to have a look today and found it had been demolished!
11ca5abe5721d20fb00ddcc8d2aaa5f5.jpg
e948dae1dba4fd398dae84d61aadc7dd.jpg

One of our fellow leaders had an accident on the beach and went to see the local quack....who was on his hols but the locum was the guys own GP from WGC![
4b7fd80973e75c5b84656a82d5ee90f5.jpg

Sorry to hear your hip is still a problem. What's the history of Hamanavay, which is no butt and ben. When built, by whom, still in same family etc. Whoever did build it was intent on the location. The logistics of getting all the materials there must have been awesome because it is nicely appointed.

Apparently it was a river watchers bothy. I would guess that there has long been a settlement here judging by the remnants of the lazy beds used by the original inhabitants for growing crops using sea weed etc.
The house has been used by parties of fishermen for years, being at the centre of 2 extensive sea trout systems, and has been extended at various points. It is currently owned by the same guy that has Amhuinnsuidhe Estate and Morsgail. He has invested significantly and employs a fair bunch of folk to run the houses/fisheries. The dreadful decline in the numbers of fish and fisheries in Scotland generally has not impacted here as much(no damned cages?), so it becomes a valuable sporting resource... a week here is not cheap!
It sleeps and is kitted up for 8. Private water....very brown...colour of Glenfarclas...and a startomatic genny..

There are several lobster pots that go with the house, so we have a lobster starter tonight!

Absolutely stunning location. :bow It would be my ideal retirement home.:thumb2

Love it Gerardd :thumb2

I`ll be in Benbecula next month when I get back from Germany.
Must remember to pack me wee fly rod.

Tight lines.

Love it Gerardd :thumb2

I`ll be in Benbecula next month when I get back from Germany.
Must remember to pack me wee fly rod.

Tight lines.

You've been doing some travelling the last while! I saw Ronnie not long back and got sone of your news. Hope you all have a great time in Jockgrim!

We're planning our next trip to S Uist in Oct....just love it out there!

This spot is completely unique....you can kill salmon but not sea trout! My first fishing foray here, but my hip is keeping me back from the best of it.

Hope to catch up soon...

Changed day today....typical west coast...
Sunshine and fearsome showers....
A view up the river from the mouth and a view of the sea pool...
8aa4adb835672d5b16a506330f97988a.jpg
74c3dbe4a99361383b2ae6ac94f8024d.jpg

Some uncertainty about the ferry later...what will be will be!

Generally a successful week...28 seatrout to 2.5 lbs, 80 odd finnock and a grilse lost at the shore.

Shame I was restricted due to being clapped out, but will now visit GP to initiate hip treatment....

And the ferry was on time, the promised rough to moderate seas were moderate and the sun was peeking through as we came into Loch Broom past the Summer Isles
Now a 3.5 hr blat down the A9 to the Strathmore swamps. Always a bit wary of rozzers with hairdryers and vans on this bit....easy targets, folk that are escaping the islands and bursting to get to the Inverness fleshpots.....

Back home to prepare hookups refreshment etc for the visitation of the Doncaster Whisky Monster this week, wash skiddies and prepare to create havoc at Portsoy..leg issues will probably mean car rather than bike but we'll see.

A good trip.
bc37bd3dbf4abf34590df3fa809c1ede.jpg
f448fd40954a91edc8912fe19cde7ff0.jpg

Enjoyed your report Sir, might go that way after Portsoy and Orkney, if I recover from yours :D

Started my leg northward, now at Town Yetholm campsite, a rather nice place :thumb

See you soon Gerard :thumb2

:beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom