Mixing a TKC 80 and 70

fezzer

Reaction score
Morning gents,
Due to lack of a TKC 70 front in the UK I’m about to fit a 70 rear and 80 front. Read some good results on bigger BMWs but anyone tried it on the 800?
Just a mix I haven’t tried before.
Any experience or serious concerns much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Fez.

Apologies. Should have read ladies and gents.

Sounds like a very odd mix to me. Why would you want to fit a proper, knobbly dual sport front and assuming you mean a regular TKC70, rather than a Rocks, what is little more than a road tyre (and not a very good one at that) to the back?

:nenau

Sounds like a very odd mix to me. Why would you want to fit a proper, knobbly dual sport front and assuming you mean a regular TKC70, rather than a Rocks, what is little more than a road tyre (and not a very good one at that) to the back?

Because its common practice to use a more aggressive tyre on the front off road if traction isn't your priority but staying out of the hedge is.

If I could find a 70 for the front I would fit it. UK has none. This is the next best option.

I can’t see a problem other than it will obviously wear quicker than the 70 with slightly less grip in the wet that I tend to avoid wherever possible anyway. As long as there are no safety concerns of this mix I’ll be happy.

Because its common practice to use a more aggressive tyre on the front off road if traction isn't your priority but staying out of the hedge is.

See - it's true. Every day really is a school day :thumby:

Mind you, I'd still take a lot of persuading to put a TKC70 on the back if I were venturing beyond Tescos...

Well they’re both fitted now. Time for a gentle test flight I guess. I only imagine I’ll be pushing into corners for a while rather than the normal easy drop over. We’ll see.
The 70’s have become a favourite of mine after trying others. They seem to warm and just grip from day one. Yes it’s a compromise when off road but they do enough for my use. First time scraping pegs was on the 70’s. If money was endless I’d go 80’s front and back all day long. Depends how far it is between your chosen Tesco’s. The rocks rear was good but only just outlived an 80 lifespan for my riding.
Fingers crossed I’ll be back in a while to report. Thanks for the comments made.

As just fitted my first set of TKC 70s to my 1150 after many sets of TKC 80s, I will be interested in your feedback����

So that all went very well. This early afternoons panic that I might be trying something completely outrageous was quickly resolved. Driving away on a brand new set of rubber front and back for me has always been a slightly nervous moment. This evenings short ride on country roads was nothing but confidence inspiring.
So in the bin tonight is a 3yr old+ TKC 70 front (enough legal tread left but pattern getting pretty wild) and a TKC 70 rocks of 18 months (getting close to illegal in some circumference places yet oddly 1mm+ better in others).
They were both still holding the road very well but the wear on the rear and age of the front was becoming a concern for me.
No TKC 70 front available in UK. So an 80 was the only option in continental for the front.
So now the standard TKC 70 rear and an 80 is fitted front. Out of the box I cautiously headed off down some country back roads, 5 minutes later my confidence was absolutely fully restored. Bike still drops over nicely into corners, steady front and back.
Found a short gravel track to play and whilst the back will obviously slide round predictably under acceleration the front stays proper planted especially under heavy braking.
My good friend then kindly offered up his private road and whilst hitting 95mph there was absolutely nothing of a wobble felt from the front.
It all felt so normal to what I have been riding of recent on the old set of tyres, but a little bit better, can’t wait for them to bed in.
So in sum:
Getting 2 TKC 70’s rears (1 of them rocks) to the 70 front has been fine. It was only the weird tread on the front and age that made me change.
The rocks rear did well off-road, noticeably noisier than the pure 70 on road and a lifespan only just above the 80. I liked the side treads were exactly same as the the 70 pure. It cornered with confidence just the same.
I look forward to reporting back more after my fitment today but so far I see no concern for my riding 90% on-road but a love to hit the gravel and trails when I can.
This could well be my new go to on the GS8.

To Simon: Enjoy the new 70’s. Hopefully your time spent on the 80’s will have increased off-road skills levels and an appreciation of tyre choice on a 230kg bike is proportionate to what you do with it. I have no regrets of my many years on the 80’s. Start with the most capable, learn and find the compromise is what worked for me.

I’m hitting UK roads from Wednesday for 2 weeks. Cornwall, Wales and Scotland on the list. Be good to see how this TKC mix works out.

Thanks for the comments to date. Ride safe all.

Fez

Sorry to those that may not love continental’s. We all have our favourites. :jibber:jibber

I've had 80's fitted to my 650 for years, finally accepted I'll not take it on anything worse than gravel (got the CRF now) so swapping them for 70's as they wear out.

I've been on 70 rear & 80 front for some time now, I'm looking forward to replacing the front as it feels "wobblier" at motorway speeds, will see how it runs with 70's front & rear...

D

1500 miles later and absolutely no regrets on this combo. Works for me.

Back
Top Bottom