Laptop slowed down considerably seemingly overnight

Try looking at Task Manager, see if something is using CPU %, you can use ctrl+Alt+del or search bar to get to it. It should open up with items using highest cpu at the top of the list. That is always a good place to start.

will your anti virus still work ? or do a defrag.

Defragmenting an SSD is counterproductive because there isn't the overhead in moving disk heads from one track and sector to another. All it does is shortens the life of the disk.

Assuming you're running some version of Windows, and if so it would help to know which one, then running a scan with Malwarebytes is always a good idea (go to https://www.malwarebytes.com/ and download the free version) and, as suggested, open up Task Manager and see what's looking busy.

If its just done the latest update, Microsoft said it would and there is a temp work around go on line and have a look

Defragmenting an SSD is counterproductive because there isn't the overhead in moving disk heads from one track and sector to another. All it does is shortens the life of the disk.

Assuming you're running some version of Windows, and if so it would help to know which one, then running a scan with Malwarebytes is always a good idea (go to https://www.malwarebytes.com/ and download the free version) and, as suggested, open up Task Manager and see what's looking busy.

Yes SSD, I will try malewarebytes, used it before, but it so long since I had any problems I forgot it

If its just done the latest update, Microsoft said it would and there is a temp work around go on line and have a look

I will look it up, thanks

or maybe it just needs a reboot after an update

my work Dell and personal Lenovo get dog slow after they update themselves. Eventually they ask for a restart but I have usually done one before the request is made...

So far, Microsof AV zero issues, Malware bytes Zero issues, the laptop is I would say ten times slower than this time yesterday. It has done an update to day funnily enough but no change.
One year old the machine is super fast normally Omen HP thingy

Task manager as someone stated. Of built in Microsoft features the photo/ video app is the worst for stealing resources. Task manager will indicate cpu/gpu and memory usage and you can deal with it from there.

Well yesterday I was busy so I left it alone after a few hours. Now unexplained, it appears to be running super fast again. There was a windows update done to the laptop, but it only started happening to my knowledge after I started this thread. The updates are annoying in the way they seem to happen sometimes without even letting you know....

The updates are annoying in the way they seem to happen sometimes without even letting you know....

The way round that is to set your internet as a "metered connection"
Then it will always ask you if you want to update.
It may affect some high bandwidth applications, but I have not had any problems.

It may affect some high bandwidth applications, but I have not had any problems.

This. Very annoying that you don’t get asked if it’s convenient to do an update any more, but this solves the problem.

This. Very annoying that you don’t get asked if it’s convenient to do an update any more, but this solves the problem.

Thanks lads, I will do that.

Funnily enough I was busy yesterday, otherwise I would have spent hours at it...

Go for Professional version.
Then you can turn off the upgrades.
I do this to stop the shite the put on.

Back
Top Bottom