1200 to 850 GS transition

Cornwallis

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Having recently transitioned from a 1200 to an 850GS after 12 years (and an 1150 GS before that), I thought I’d share my thoughts for others either making the move or just thinking about getting an 850.

I had 52k miles of good use from my 1200, covering the UK and most of Europe/Scandinavia. I changed bike not because I was becoming old and decrepit but because I wasn’t doing the big trips anymore and fancied something a bit lighter/slimmer. I’m more than delighted with the 850 and, should I wish to do big miles, have no doubt it would be highly capable (I have a friend who did NordKapp on an XT600). For information, the bike I bought four weeks ago was a 70 plate, 20 month old Sport with 2500 miles and extras of centre stand, Vario top box and Datatag for £8900 {not from a BMW franchise). Thanks to this forum, I was reassured that the bike I bought didn’t have a problem as I could sometimes feeling clicking through the clutch lever when changing gear.

There was the usual urge to add some personal touches and I thought I’d share what I ended up with as it may be of interest to members of the forum:

• SCREEN
The standard screen has no use whatsoever. I didn’t want a patio door on the front of the bike so I opted for a single piece Puig 410mm high rather than the higher 530mm option. This is fantastic quality and made from thermo-formed acrylic so the transparency is greater than the original that’s injection moulded. It doesn’t offer as much protection as the screen on my 1200 but it makes a hell of a difference. However, having lived with it for three weeks and ridden on motorways, if I was to go on a long trip with might miles on fast roads I’d probably get the taller screen but take it off after the trip.

• EXHAUST
I’m a great fan of aftermarket exhaust systems to reduce weight, get a bit more power and make some noise. I was close to getting an Akrapovik until I realised how expensive they were, met EU noise regulations, didn’t have a removable baffle and was approved by BMW so couldn’t see a major benefit. I had a full Remus system on my 1200 with Hexacone titanium/carbon end can that not only sounded great but had a bracket integrated on the back so there wasn’t a strap that went around the outside to mount it to the frame. I was struggling to find an end can that didn’t cost a fortune but had the integrated bracket so, to get the ball rolling, just went for a replacement middle exhaust pipe to get rid of the resonator box for £62 off eBay. I have to say, this has to be one of the best value aftermarket purchases I’ve made because the bike now sounds fantastic and, as I wouldn’t want it to be any louder, it means I can no longer justify a new end can. It’s also made me appreciate the original exhaust that has great looks and, despite having a strap to attach it to the frame, as it’s the same material as the end can is pretty inconspicuous.

• FENDER EXTENDER
Having had what might be described as a cheap and cheerful front fender extender on my 1200, I pushed the boat out and went for an injection moulded Wunderlich product that has a bit more shape to it as it’s injection moulded. I had some M3 button head socket screws and domed hex cap nuts left over from fitting the one on my 1200 and used these instead of the supplied self-tapping screws.

• SATNAV
I wanted powered satnav but couldn’t justify the small fortune for the mount and new system (I had a Garmin 660 on the 1200). As my smartphone’s waterproof, I went for the QuadLock system with additional shock absorber and poncho just in-case I went to Scotland. At just over £100 this is a great quality system and has the advantage of letting me use Google maps. Ok, there’s the chance of loss of signal but I have friends who use their phones in cars with very few/if any problems.

• LUGGAGE
I had the full Vario system of top box and panniers on the 1200 and the 850 only came with a top box, but it’s much bigger and accommodates a full-face helmet. Again, the cheapskate in me couldn’t justify paying a fortune for Vario panniers and I don’t want to have mounting rails for a lower cost system. I do intend to do some overnight trips but won’t be taking a pillion so, for the princely sum of £25, got a 30L Oxford Drystash bag and 30L waterproof rucksack cover (just in-case I go to Scotland). This is almost the same width as the top box and I’ll probably get a security cable but accept it’s not as secure as the Vario panniers. If needed, I’ve also got a 25L Kriega backpack that I’ve had for ages and never used so that would take me up to the same luggage capacity as my 1200.

I’m not saying that everything I’ve done is perfect but hope members of the forum can make use of my purchasing decisions. And, I have to say it once again, I'm really impressed with my new bike!

I made the same transition and I really like the 850. The only thing I did struggle with was the dreadfully soft front end.

I recently upgraded front and rear suspension to the Tractive kit. It’s night and day. The back is better but I suspect mainly because I had a better/more tailored spring. The front is totally transformed.

It was in the dealer’s recently for a service and when the technician took it out for a road test, he came back grinning all over his face. He said it’s now the bike it should have been out of the box.

The front isn’t that expensive to change…

I agree, compared to my 1200 the front- end is definitely a bit spongy. Thanks for the tip!

Useful post, thanks. Got an 850GS Sport about a couple months ago.
The screen was terrible and I got an MRA Vario screen which is better but not as good as I’d like. So I may check the Puig.
Bike came with the satnav high holder above the screen but I’ll remove that and use Quadlock system like you.
Haven’t been sure what to do about luggage but have Lomo bags and a Kreiga and a Pacsafe cable. But wouldn’t mind a top box as they’re just really handy. Just bought a SW Motech city tank bag from a chap here and got a tank adapter from SW Motech so will fit that.
Interested in your exhaust comment - can you send me a link?
I do find the ‘thrumming noise’ a bit strange after coming from an Urban 9T.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interested in your exhaust comment - can you send me a link?
I do find the ‘thrumming noise’ a bit strange after coming from an Urban 9T.

If you search "F850GS link pipe" in eBay there are a fair few available. The only issue I had was that the mounting bushes on the original resonator don't fit in the holes on the bracket of the link pipe as its too small. I used a grommet I had kicking around but when I've got time will look for a more robust solution. Chances are it may not need to be mounted on the hanger as it no longer has the weight of the resonator box, but I'd still like to sort it.

I made the same transition and I really like the 850. The only thing I did struggle with was the dreadfully soft front end.

I recently upgraded front and rear suspension to the Tractive kit. It’s night and day. The back is better but I suspect mainly because I had a better/more tailored spring. The front is totally transformed.

It was in the dealer’s recently for a service and when the technician took it out for a road test, he came back grinning all over his face. He said it’s now the bike it should have been out of the box.

The front isn’t that expensive to change…

Is the front end Tractive a single leg replacement or does it have a spring in both legs.

Useful post, thanks. Got an 850GS Sport about a couple months ago.
The screen was terrible and I got an MRA Vario screen which is better but not as good as I’d like. So I may check the Puig.

I liked the MRA on my 1250 so bought one for my 750 ... didn't work for me at all. I've got the Puig one now and its great

Back
Top Bottom