XT tutorial?

Tried that, didn't work. I had to plug mine into a wall charger and it took around 6 hours to fully charge. Think I used my iPhone charger

Used it for the first time today, in the car on the car mount. It is a nice bright display but how do you get the keyboard to show properly please? I struggled just to put a postcode in, I did, eventually but it took me about 10 minutes of trying to find the letters and numbers. I know, the most basic of usage and it is not obvious.

……how do you get the keyboard to show properly please?……

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Q_8LVUxQSVc" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ghjujhgh

Simon, I can recall the exact contents of my ZumoXT retail box when it arrived but I did check and it had everything (seeing as it came direct from Garmin as a retail item). The power lead is the one with a small plastic box in the middle and ring terminals, the idea being that you assemble it on the bike to convert 12 volts down to 5 volts via the circuitry in the little box. In my case I already had a BMW Navigator cradle anyway so I just bought an adapter to drop it straight into the BMW mount.

As stated earlier, it needs a good first full charge up from a decent wall adapter that can chuck out a couple of amps at 5 volts, I did initially try charging my XT from a USB-capable wall mains outlet but it wasn't man enough to fully charge the unit. Using my old Garmin 3-pin mains adapter to mini USB I had kicking around in a drawer did the trick, these are sadly not provided with the new XT units as standard.

Persevere with it, I hope Garmin get you sorted quickly, their after-sales care is normally very good.

P.S. Thanks for the above video Richard, the full qwerty keyboard should be the default IMO. I will change my unit keyboard settings tonight as the split keyboard mode was beginning to annoy me.

Simon, I can recall the exact contents of my ZumoXT retail box when it arrived but I did check and it had everything (seeing as it came direct from Garmin as a retail item). The power lead is the one with a small plastic box in the middle and ring terminals, the idea being that you assemble it on the bike to convert 12 volts down to 5 volts via the circuitry in the little box. In my case I already had a BMW Navigator cradle anyway so I just bought an adapter to drop it straight into the BMW mount.

As stated earlier, it needs a good first full charge up from a decent wall adapter that can chuck out a couple of amps at 5 volts, I did initially try charging my XT from a USB-capable wall mains outlet but it wasn't man enough to fully charge the unit. Using my old Garmin 3-pin mains adapter to mini USB I had kicking around in a drawer did the trick, these are sadly not provided with the new XT units as standard.

Persevere with it, I hope Garmin get you sorted quickly, their after-sales care is normally very good.

P.S. Thanks for the above video Richard, the full qwerty keyboard should be the default IMO. I will change my unit keyboard settings tonight as the split keyboard mode was beginning to annoy me.

UPDATE.

My box of missing bits has arrived. Over the winter I shall get it mounted on the 80GS, I have got as far as putting the RAM ball on the handlebar! Now I need to find where I put the plug to go on the end that fits the socket under the side of the seat.

Meanwhile I have had it in the car, I have got my 'work' in it and home, as a post code, not 'home'! All I have done so far is toggle between these two on the 'History'. I am finding it very complicated when trying things out and then how to go back to where I was. Do you just keep using the back arrow in the bottom or is there a way of jumping to particular pages? All the you tubes I have watched assume that you already know how to use digital stuff by habit. I have to stop and think about anything I do. How people type texts as fast as they do amazes me. I am still at the one finger and search for the letter I want stage.

Can you use the Zumo when it isn't in the cradle? How long would the battery last if you did?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Q_8LVUxQSVc" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ghjujhgh

That is brilliant. I have just gone out to the car and done it.
Much obliged Richard.

No problem, glad it helped, Simon.

To answer your questions.

The battery will last a reasonable amount of time, out of the cradle. How long will depend on how much you are using the device when it’s it’s not being powered. Think of it like a torch. The battery in that will last for months, even years, if you only use it occasionally. What though you will find is that the XT ‘times out’. What does that mean? It means that it shuts down into a sleep mode after a while, if the device is left on but not used, when out of the cradle. This can be a bit annoying if you are doing something, put it down to talk to someone or just look out of the window and it goes to sleep. You can alter the time out periods from within settings. Try it, it won’t blow up and you can always put it back to where it was. I use the function a lot if I am using my device to create a bespoke route, when I am also looking at a map or when I am fiddling with other bods’ devices at the same time.

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/web...UID-4C97EE8C-2FE0-407B-A46C-58A06752E93C.html

Another useful trick to save the battery when it’s out of the powered cradle, is to switch it fully off, rather than it just resting in sleep mode.

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/web...UID-BE66547E-AE97-45E0-891D-F8ADB2983BC5.html

This saves battery life but it won’t save it indefinitely. It has the slight disadvantage in that the restart from ‘Full off’ requires the device to wake up, get out bed and then hit the bathroom, as it were. This is a little bit longer than it just getting up from dozing in the chair. Try it, it won’t break.

Using the back button. As you have discovered, the back button takes you back, screen by screen, rather like turning the pages in a book. You can though go back to the Home Screen in one hit, if you press and hold the back arrow.

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/web...UID-F02C32D7-90EA-4F39-95B1-C60D6702B94D.html

Try it, you can’t break it.

Like anything, the more you use it, the more you remember how to do things. I long ago gave up trying to learn everything at once. You know how to use cameras, with all the F stops and speed setting and ISO settings and can do it in your sleep. I forget and have to think what to do with a powerful camera. I don’t (or at least not very often) have to stop and think about GPS devices. We are the same really, just with different things.

One tip. If the device has been out of the cradle for some time, its battery WILL go flat. The quickest way to charge it is to do it via its USB lead and the house mains. Knowing this, I dug out a spare USB lead. One lead, I leave plugged in on my office desk, ready to use. The second I keep in a bag with other electrical goodies (plug adapters, leads for the phone etc etc). This means I don’t have to disconnect (and maybe forget) the damned USB lead each time. I can pick up the device and the bag and just waltz out of the door for my jaunt, knowing that I can deal with ALL my electrical items in one go, when I am away. Similarly, I have one lead which just stays in the car and one on my bike. It adds a couple of pounds cost but the time saved, not hunting for leads, pays for itself.

What’s the most useful things I have bought, besides a decent charging brick thing? Good quality long USB leads and the SKROSS plug adaptor. The latter is not cheap but it is very good quality, way better than the cheap Chinese copies. I bought one Chinese copy, which had naked live terminal metal, when the pins were extended…. A potential killer if you are unlucky. I smashed it with a lump hammer, which at least made me feel better. I think I have owned my SKROSS and a couple of their other adaptors for at least 20 years. They are as good today as they were when I bought them. Well made! If you see someone selling a genuine one, snap it up or hit the wife’s piggy bank.

https://www.skross.com/en

REFRESH time. I am going to have another go at looking how to use this contraption! I just gave up and put it away. Time to try and take the bull by the horns and get to use it, so I am going back over your help Richard and doing one thing at a time. being able to put in more than one destinatin would be good...so I go to the first place, then on to the next and so on. Hopefully I have a job starting next week, so got a couple of days to play with it.

The best way to learn is by doing something that you’ll actually use.

Not trying to learn everything at once, is still a very good idea.

Try this:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qC-2gdvs8-U" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

When you have got the hang of how to do it, we can move on to have the device sort several destinations in one route, into the most logical order.

Simon, I have dug out my XT. Give this a go to enter several post codes into one route.

Home Screen

Apps

Trip Planner

New Trip

Select start location (ie where you want the route to start from)

Add location. Scroll down and tap on address. Tap on post code. Enter post code. Enter house number but only if you have it.

Press done.

This will bring up search results. Tap on the result.

Let the device do a quick calculation.

Tap on Select

Tap on Add location and repeat with the next post code

Repeat for the next and so on

Scroll down and insert final destination.

Click on Next

The device will calculate the route

The device will display the route

Click Save

Give the route a name ‘Simon’s day out getting lost’ for example

Back arrow

Saved trips

There it is.

Practice it a couple of times, just making up post codes, to see it work. You can’t break it.

Report back, please.

As and when you have mastered this relatively easy and reliable process, you’ll then be able to move on. For example, you’ll be able to easily learn how to enter several destinations (in any random order) into a route and have the device sort them into a logical sequence for you.

More importantly perhaps, you can learn how to create favourites for places you visit regularly. Then you’ll be able to summon them up to insert them into a route, without you having to enter them manually each time.

It really is a very clever but equally dumb device.

maybe he thought you closed the thread "Thread Closed" :D

This guy does some great videos of off roading but also Basecamp and Nav VI and XT set up. The XT set up on this particular video is about 11 min in as its part 3 of a four part set.
Well worth wathing all the four parts as a tutorial. https://www.youtube.com/@brentbat/videos

Sorry, been working and on my Sea Survival course so not paying attention.
Thanks Richard. I will try today - going fishing and it is over the other side of Retford in country I don't know, then Horncastle somewhere for bell target shooting this evening. I can use those actual destinantions to put your list of instructions into practice. I have copied them into my notebook, so I can refer to it and follow them while I am in the car.
Thank you very much.

I will watch the video later. It won't be tonight because it will likely be midnight before I get home.

Back
Top Bottom