What have I done, I traded my Road King

I've put over 16k miles on my wing since I bought it last October. It's a great bike but not without it's flaws. The built in sat nav is OK, but you need to really persevere with it and TBH probably isn't worth the trouble. Car play is not as intuitive as it should be but, again, persevere and you will be rewarded. Once you get your head around the set up procedure I can connect easily, every time with minimal fuss but unless you wire in a BT connector so the system thinks there is a BT headset connected you will need a BT headset on your helmet. Cheap sena one will do and if you don't want GPS directions piped into your helmet just turn the volume down which I do quite often.

Fuel range is poor for a bike capable of 300 miles + between stops. It eats front tyres and brake pads if you are remotely spirited on it, checking the oil requires a science degree, DIY air filter change is probably a full day in the garage or an expensive trip to the dealer, ground clearance on bumpy roundabouts is limited, cruise control button should be on the left switchgear, it doesn't like trying to keep up with GSA's on wet, muddy D roads in France!! But then it wasn't designed for that! I thoroughly enjoy riding it, London traffic takes some care but no more than any big bike, motorway filtering is easier than a GSA with boxes, it's unsurprisingly very planted and extremely comfortable. Having ridden a few miles in the US and despite loving HD's I don't think there's a better bike to travel the States on, enjoy!!

I've put over 16k miles on my wing since I bought it last October. It's a great bike but not without it's flaws. The built in sat nav is OK, but you need to really persevere with it and TBH probably isn't worth the trouble. Car play is not as intuitive as it should be but, again, persevere and you will be rewarded. Once you get your head around the set up procedure I can connect easily, every time with minimal fuss but unless you wire in a BT connector so the system thinks there is a BT headset connected you will need a BT headset on your helmet. Cheap sena one will do and if you don't want GPS directions piped into your helmet just turn the volume down which I do quite often.

Fuel range is poor for a bike capable of 300 miles + between stops. It eats front tyres and brake pads if you are remotely spirited on it, checking the oil requires a science degree, DIY air filter change is probably a full day in the garage or an expensive trip to the dealer, ground clearance on bumpy roundabouts is limited, cruise control button should be on the left switchgear, it doesn't like trying to keep up with GSA's on wet, muddy D roads in France!! But then it wasn't designed for that! I thoroughly enjoy riding it, London traffic takes some care but no more than any big bike, motorway filtering is easier than a GSA with boxes, it's unsurprisingly very planted and extremely comfortable. Having ridden a few miles in the US and despite loving HD's I don't think there's a better bike to travel the States on, enjoy!!

I’m surprised about your comment re fuel range . I get 250+ miles to the tank on mine. I can get 64 mpg on a good run ( with the mobile speed limiter behind me )

I appreciate the tips and advice guys! Yes I figured out Apple CarPlay won't function through the bike unless the bike is paired to a headset, or as SPM mentions is tricked into thinking it's paired. So I'm contemplating putting speakers, mic, and Bluetooth in my helmet because some of my riding friends use them anyway.
Yeah a big, heavy, motorcycle can be hard on tyres and brake pads and the Dunlops on it don't look to have that much tread to begin with.
Looks like we may finally have 2 days w/o rain coming tomorrow and Friday so looking forward to getting out. God this has been the wettest, coolest summer I can recall in years!

Tyre life has been good for me, 7,000+ miles and better than my 1200RT.

It’s a delightful bike so go enjoy ����

Good to hear, I'll take 7,000 miles. The bad thing is the Harley's have spoiled me in that regard, the last ones I took off the RK had over 13K.

I’m surprised about your comment re fuel range . I get 250+ miles to the tank on mine. I can get 64 mpg on a good run ( with the mobile speed limiter behind me )

250+ Miles!!!!!!! I have a 140 mile round trip commute I untertake 4-5 times a month. It's mostly quiet motorway and dual carriageway. Ive been experimenting sitting at different speeds to try and get the most fuel economy vs time taken. Just over 60mph is the sweet spot (don't want lorries tailgating me!), only takes about 10 mains longer but even then I'm not achieving anywhere near that mileage. Off the motorway running around at legalish speeds my fuel range when I've filled up rarely shows over 170 Miles. Have you removed the plastic inside the filler Cap to get more fuel in??

Wheres its little trailer, adorned with confederate flags ??? :confused:

250+ Miles!!!!!!! I have a 140 mile round trip commute I untertake 4-5 times a month. It's mostly quiet motorway and dual carriageway. Ive been experimenting sitting at different speeds to try and get the most fuel economy vs time taken. Just over 60mph is the sweet spot (don't want lorries tailgating me!), only takes about 10 mains longer but even then I'm not achieving anywhere near that mileage. Off the motorway running around at legalish speeds my fuel range when I've filled up rarely shows over 170 Miles. Have you removed the plastic inside the filler Cap to get more fuel in??

I regularly get over 200 miles to a tank without really trying.

No, I didn’t know you can remove it. How do you do it ?

Do you see many Goldwings in England?

Here in Scarborough (North Yorkshire, north east coast of England) we have an annual 'Light Parade' A Gold Wing get together, held in early/mid September, when lots of fab' lit up 'Wings' ride up and down the coast road. It's a charity event as well and the kids (hello) love it.

10/09/2022 this year. I shall post up some pic's....:thumb2

No, I didn’t know you can remove it. How do you do it ?

Apparently you can remove the plastic inside the filler neck which allows you to fully brim the tank but you loose the air gap Honda has obviously built in as a safety feature. Mentioned on a few US forums.

My bike runs well and I think I ride it sensibly so not sure why it appears to be less fuel efficient. I think I need to look at actual mileage figures rather than just take the word of the computer

Wheres its little trailer, adorned with confederate flags ??? :confused:

A lot of Goldwings pull trailers (with an "Eat to ride, ride to eat" sticker, which unfolds to a camper with an awning to sit under. Then little lights are strung around the whole rig.

Here in Scarborough (North Yorkshire, north east coast of England) we have an annual 'Light Parade' A Gold Wing get together......
10/09/2022 this year. I shall post up some pic's....:thumb2

Please do.

Back
Top Bottom