What have I done, I traded my Road King

Clifton

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
For the first time in quite a few years I'm without a Harley, I worked out a complicated trade/sale on a Goldwing of all things.

A man with taste...congrats on the new bike. :thumb I can't tell from the phot but is it the DCT version?

Sorry to hear about the Road King going though. :comfort

Thanks guys! Yes it's DCT, the only transmission available now on the Goldwing standard. Ironically the Tour version is available with either DCT or 6-speed. The 2017 Cross Tourer I had was DCT, it's even better in the Wing IMO, but I'd have been happy with a 6-speed as well. On the 2001 Wing I was always trying to shift to the nonexistent 6th because it needed a taller top gear.

Traitor ;) They do look a nice bike though. Especially in that colour.

The biggest problem with the wing in the UK is the price. It’s horrific now.

The biggest problem with the wing in the UK is the price. It’s horrific now.

Same sort of figures as the ones sold in USA, there's have a $ sign and we have a £ sign in front but the actual numbers are virtually identical.

A perfect example of the sort of motorbike that I don't like (complexity)....but I do like this one....:)confused:)

Yeah, I like that.

Be careful, that track doesn't look like it's natural habitat.

Do you see many Goldwings in England?

Most Goldwings sold here are the Tour version which includes the boot, fog lights, traction control, electronic rear preload adjustment, and heated seat. MSRP is $28,500 6-speed, $29,500 DCT plus $775 freight on either, plus State sales tax which is typically around 5-8%.

So yes they are expensive but so are Harley and BMW. This bagger DCT version would compare in price to a Street Glide with ABS and premium radio, or a GS Adventure with panniers. MSRP on this was $26K ($25,300 plus $775 freight). He discounted it to $24,100 including freight, and typically I would pay 6% State sales tax on that amount. But I traded two motorcycles, a 15 RK and 16 R1200RS so he got those plus $1,000, therefore I paid 6% tax only on the $1,000 difference. I also had the RK pre-sold for them to a friend so it went from me to him but through the dealership so I would get the sales tax credit for the trade. Then my friend traded his 2017 Street Glide Special in on my old Road King getting a cheque for $4,000 as well so paid no tax. He prefers the Road King over a Street Glide.

Thanks jonnie! Yes it's absurdly complex and excessive :).
That's it's natural habitat now because it's my driveway, which is in better condition than the road to it unfortunately.

Do you see many Goldwings in England?

Most Goldwings sold here are the Tour version which includes the boot, fog lights, traction control, electronic rear preload adjustment, and heated seat. MSRP is $28,500 6-speed, $29,500 DCT plus $775 freight on either, plus State sales tax which is typically around 5-8%.

So yes they are expensive but so are Harley and BMW. This bagger DCT version would compare in price to a Street Glide with ABS and premium radio, or a GS Adventure with panniers. MSRP on this was $26K ($25,300 plus $775 freight). He discounted it to $24,100 including freight, and typically I would pay 6% State sales tax on that amount. But I traded two motorcycles, a 15 RK and 16 R1200RS so he got those plus $1,000, therefore I paid 6% tax only on the $1,000 difference. I also had the RK pre-sold for them to a friend so it went from me to him but through the dealership so I would get the sales tax credit for the trade. Then my friend traded his 2017 Street Glide Special in on my old Road King getting a cheque for $4,000 as well so paid no tax. He prefers the Road King over a Street Glide.

No where near as many as GS’s. But the current model wing is selling in bigger numbers than the previous model.

That is beautiful! Hope you will enjoy as much as I love my DCT tour after 13,000 miles. The apparent complexity soon disappears as it’s so easy to ride, just ignore the totally crap GPS and fit a Garmin or use Apple CarPlay and you’ll be crossing continents before lunchtime:beerjug:

Thanks simon I hope I do too! The GPS isn't good? I was hoping it will work well enough that I didn't need to mount my Garmin somewhere on the bars. I'll give my phone a try when I take it out later (now that it's finally quit raining). One question I have is there's a USB connection in the glove box, if my phone is plugged in there is it then connected for Apple CarPlay? Or is that simply a charging connector and I would need to connect via Bluetooth?

Thanks simon I hope I do too! The GPS isn't good? I was hoping it will work well enough that I didn't need to mount my Garmin somewhere on the bars. I'll give my phone a try when I take it out later (now that it's finally quit raining). One question I have is there's a USB connection in the glove box, if my phone is plugged in there is it then connected for Apple CarPlay? Or is that simply a charging connector and I would need to connect via Bluetooth?

Clifton. The CarPlay connection is primitive too (at least on my 2020 GW) and doesn’t connect via Bluetooth. Best Google it but essentially

1. Turn off your mobile phone Bluetooth
2. Turn on bike ignition and THEN your helmet Bluetooth and get them to pair (every time¡) first. (That is evidenced by a second headphone appearing on the Wings ‘TV screen’)
3. Then and only then, connect your phone physically to the bike via the lead in the pocket on your tank (or on the Tour, the trunk at back, a real pain!). You need to have your phone on and unlocked.

Then (most times) you should see Apple CarPlay pop up on the screen and you toggle around it using the unintuitive controls on the left hand bar.

Annoyingly you have to do this every time you turn off the ignition, it’s an absolute disgrace and the Honda person responsible should be subjected to unimaginable horrors of torture IMHO).

Good luck (and there may be first time set up steps I have long forgotten which is why YouTube is your friend)

Thank you Simon. I don't have speakers in my helmets, I haven't advanced that far yet, I just glance at my Zumo if I need direction. Sounds like I can get Apple maps or Google maps on the dash display via my phone in the glovebox which is what I do in my car w/o relying on Bluetooth connection.

In that case they must have improved since my 2018 which will only generate CarPlay if you have helmet speakers on (or some substitute receiver to trick it!). Anyway enjoy the bike despite its primitive navigation (which cannot be changed or input whilst riding).

I've seen a couple of reviews on these and they look like great bikes for touring. Have lots of fun and post pics

By the way, beautiful driveway!

Thank you Simon. I don't have speakers in my helmets, I haven't advanced that far yet, I just glance at my Zumo if I need direction. Sounds like I can get Apple maps or Google maps on the dash display via my phone in the glovebox which is what I do in my car w/o relying on Bluetooth connection.

If you’ve no headset, you’ve no Apple car play…….I think. However, all is not lost. If you use the built in satnav, just set the bike for speakers rather than headset and you’ll have audible satnav instructions. Incidentally, you can also import routes to the bike via the usb connection.
As Simon has said it’s a bit clunky,basic and old fashioned.

As a Goldwing of 1500 miles standing I'd strongly suggest fitting the pillion grab rails off a tour model. They make moving the bike much, much easier and safer. Not sure I'd recommend Show Chromes rider backrest though.

RAM Mount RAM-B-408-75-1U will allow an XT to be mounted next to the rhs switch cluster with a small modification to cluster or mount.

Since the tft is near useless to me, and since I've got to like a centrally located GPS after owning an RT, I'm thinking of fitting a screen protector and using a RAM suction mount to mount the XT in just the right place.

Back
Top Bottom