Has OS been critically injured…and other questions to ponder

Status
Not open for further replies.

twizzle

Devil may care...
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Yesterday afternoon on the A32 I came round a corner and hit a piece of road debris, angle iron I think….although after the incident I could not find it……

I hit it hard, first thought was that’s a puncture for sure, so I started gently slowing down, controlled…..

Then…

Oil warning light on, oil pressure dropped….

So clutch in… revs dropped and pulled over.

Looked down at the pooling oil…..ah…:blast

First inspection…. oil lines cleanly cut…….

Ok, not so bad…..

Then I saw the 3” hole in the sump…….

Ah…… that’s fucked it then……..

Bugger. Suppose it could have been worse and brought you off the bike. I presume that's a big bill. Even more so if it's a garage job.

I called the RAC and they would not help me, claiming it was an RTA rather then a Breakdown…

So I had to be recovered by my insurance company.. they have taken the bike away for assessment…. After dropping me off at the nearest station.

I called the RAC and they would not help me, claiming it was an RTA rather then a Breakdown…

So I had to be recovered by my insurance company.. they have taken the bike away for assessment…. After dropping me off at the nearest station.

As you describe it, I would have considered it a breakdown.

Some pictures……

Attachments

• 6C4B2B15-4B18-439F-AFD8-4A11F1E77E36.jpg
    6C4B2B15-4B18-439F-AFD8-4A11F1E77E36.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 579
  • D6185112-7000-4FBF-A281-2E7847EB8292.jpg
    D6185112-7000-4FBF-A281-2E7847EB8292.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 580
  • D3FB8A44-83EA-4EDC-A982-A4DA211C5B9D.jpg
    D3FB8A44-83EA-4EDC-A982-A4DA211C5B9D.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 582
The hole is visible just below the clutch cable in the first picture

The second shows the cut oil lines and further damage to the sump

As you describe it, I would have considered it a breakdown.

I’ve been a member for 40 years - called on them for help less then ten times ….and they would not recover me… I was pissed at them tbh.

Sorry to hear . Time to switch to the AA . They have never let me down in 40 years or so
That Glide of Toad’s looks a bargain . Your. Bike should be rebuildable though ?

If it's any consolation I once had a truck flick up half a brick in front of me (it was already on the road as he passed over it so not his fault). It went straight through the front grille and radiator of the Bentley I was driving at the time. Now THAT was expensive! At least you're safe; the bike can be repaired but a lump of angle iron flying about doesn't bear thinking about.

Twizz..... firstly, glad you are OK and not hurt.

Working in Portsmouth Naval Base I am lucky to know a very skilled TIG welder that has welded up a couple of alloy bike cases for me over the years. If all else fails and you can get the parts stripped down, I can ask for his help to weld up your puncture hole. I can't promise a good result as welding these alloys depends on the quality of the metal casting etc, but I know if its possible to weld repair it they are the ones with the skills and the equipment needed.

Be a real shame to write off a bike just for the sake of a weld repair to a casting.

hit Twizz, that is really unlucky, at least it didn't have you off. Good luck with getting it sorted. As for your breakdown company, utter twats, I guess the lesson for all of us if we found ourselves in similar circumstances is to just say the bike has lost oil pressure and not mention the circumstances.

hit Twizz, that is really unlucky, at least it didn't have you off. Good luck with getting it sorted. As for your breakdown company, utter twats, I guess the lesson for all of us if we found ourselves in similar circumstances is to just say the bike has lost oil pressure and not mention the circumstances.

Agreed, do not say you have hit anything….. trouble with being too honest. - doh…..

Find out where the bike has been taken asap,
If you are hoping to keep it and repair it.
I’ve had instances where damaged customer bikes have been sold for salvage before any settlement has been agreed.
They’ve then had to bid for the salvage to buy it from the salvage company at a massively increased price

So I had to be recovered by my insurance company.. they have taken the bike away for assessment
…. After dropping me off at the nearest station.

I sincerely hope they haven't taken it to 4th Dimension the thieving bastards from Egham

I sincerely hope they haven't taken it to 4th Dimension the thieving bastards from Egham

Sadly, I find out today that’s where it’s gone…….

Bennett’s Insurance - seems hard to avoid them TBH as a lot of companies use them…

Let’s wait and see what happens.

Sadly, I find out today that’s where it’s gone…….

Bennett’s Insurance - seems hard to avoid them TBH as a lot of companies use them…

Let’s wait and see what happens.

If you would like to repair it or keep it, then waiting is not wise, these fuckers see money to be made and they are networked....My Bruv works in crash repair and you cannot trust any of them, not a single one! They are all crooked, the whole lot of them and the bigger, the worse they are.

I will let fate decide…

Fate caused this, fate will resolve….

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom