Naples

Posh Pete

Still got a pulse.
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
We're off there for a week soon. Any tips? The last time we were there was in the middle of a cholera outbreak in 73! :eek:

Sent from my moto e30 using Tapatalk

It's worth bearing in mind the available places nearby which are easily doable for a day out.

Pompeii.... I can't remember exactly how long it took on the train (not longer than an hour though) from Naples but Pompeii station is a short walk to the ruins. Go early as it's a bigger place than you'd think.

Isle of Capri.... 40 mins by ferry which is quite central in Naples

Sorrento....Stay on the train a little longer past Pompeii and your there.

Enjoy :beerjug:

Pompeii and Herculaneum

We visited in a hire car after driving down from Rome, had a right game trying to park without some dodgy bloke showing you where to park, presumably for a fee

See Naples and die . Was an ancient saying .

It's worth bearing in mind the available places nearby which are easily doable for a day out.

Pompeii.... I can't remember exactly how long it took on the train (not longer than an hour though) from Naples but Pompeii station is a short walk to the ruins. Go early as it's a bigger place than you'd think.

Isle of Capri.... 40 mins by ferry which is quite central in Naples

Sorrento....Stay on the train a little longer past Pompeii and your there.

Enjoy :beerjug:
Cheers Stu. Back in 73 we went to Pompeii and went to the restaurant for a cheap / small meal. A table of Griswalds (typical Yank tourists) had a blow out next to us and left a ton of stuff - especially the kids! I can still remember the missus' steely stare: Don't you bloody dare! It'll be a bit different this time!

Sent from my moto e30 using Tapatalk

Yes Pompeii and Herculaneum easily accessible by train. After visiting Pompeii I then went to the museum in Naples as there was a lot of stuff at Pompeii labelled "on display in museum". There is an enclosed section in the museum dedicated to the phallic are that was evidently popular in Pompeii.

I actually stayed in Sorrento di Agnello and used the train as well as my Fiat Panda hire car. It was in a January and really quiet but T shirt weather. Lovely trip and funny seeing locals in big coats.

Eat pizza at either da Michele or Sorbillo.

Anchovy and butter pizza is particularly good.

Naples, I only visited it for the day, but had an attempted pick pocket of my wallet, and someone tried to sell me a camcorder aka brick.

Like any city keep you valuables secure, and don't have too much bling.

See Naples and die . Was an ancient saying .

Yes I nearly did. Never spent a week in such a polluted city that I could hardly breath when we headed out for Capri and Amalfi to recover.

Pompeii and Herculaneum

We visited in a hire car after driving down from Rome, had a right game trying to park without some dodgy bloke showing you where to park, presumably for a fee

definitely Pompeii by train. Its a lot larger than you think. Allow 2 hours to walk around. Nice town square for lunch. Don't bother with Vesuvius, there's nothing there, really not worth the long coach trip to. Go the the market area and find a small tratorria or eat on the sidewalk and watch the locals. Best food we had. https://photos.app.goo.gl/B4csPng2Q5VVyTxZ9

take a walk from the centre to Chiaia https://www.google.com/maps/place/C...e725418ff235c8f!8m2!3d40.8343212!4d14.2304814

fantastic restaurant scene. We didn't book, so missed out. Long promenade to walk on, hot chics roller blading! Bikers flying like crazy on the dual carriage road. Cracking restaurants. Use the tram if need be, or take a train from garibaldi to a station above it and get the funicular down to the top.
Quick facts
Waterfront Chiaia is an affluent district with cool boutiques and designer shops, plus seafood restaurants and elegant bars. Locals grab an ice cream before heading to the Villa Comunale park, with a playground and the Casina Pompeiana, an 1870 venue hosting
cultural events. In a 19th-century villa nearby, the Museo Pignatelli shows-off period interiors. The Palazzo delle Arti Napoli is a contemporary art center.

Oh and if you want to cross a road, just walk. Trust me, just walk. https://photos.app.goo.gl/3FnWLbQPW7DqbsqY8

Back
Top Bottom