Marked Tank Paintwork Triple Black

BigT

Reaction score
Hi guys,

My bike, a 2021 R1250 GS Adventure TE Triple Black, has 20k on it but is absolutely immaculate with one exception. The Black stripes on the tank, which are stock decals of some sort are marked. (see photo). The photo exaggerates the problem, but illustrates it well for the purpose of this post.

Has anyone encountered the same issue and has anyone managed to solve it?

Attachments

• 567bf26a-abad-4d92-bc4e-38e1b2d49d73.jpg
    567bf26a-abad-4d92-bc4e-38e1b2d49d73.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 385
Mmmm. I fancy its my Klim Hardanger suit that's the culprit, my knees do touch the tank. The plastic stripe doesn't appear to be damaged just marked. Unless you look relatively closely the marks are not immediately obvious, but I can see it and it gives me the hump ;-).

I recall another forum member having similar issues, lightly polish the marks as much as you can without turning the finishing to gloss and buy yourself a sheet of Matt ppf (paint protection film) cut a template to match the side of the tank and cut the ppf to match the template.

When it comes to protection of painted parts, I'm a big fan of this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Scotchgard-Clear-Paint-Protection-60-inches/dp/B004VG8DS0?th=1

Making my own templates by using regular heavy paper.
For installing it bubble free, useing water with a tiny tad of regular dishwashing soap will do the trick.
After having cut the film according to the template, I soak the area to be protected with the water-mix by using a small sponge. Then I install the film, where the water-soap solution allows the film to be slid into position. Then, starting to squeeze the water solution away from the center and towards the edges. As long as the surface to be protected is clean, the film will remain in place until you want to remove it. The water-soap will not do any harm to the final adhesion.

For installing it bubble free, useing water with a tiny tad of regular dishwashing soap will do the trick.

I use Johnson’s baby bath mixed with water in a spray bottle.

Back
Top Bottom