Congestion charge thinks my bike is a car

dashfixer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I know that this has been raised before, but I've just checked my bike (GS1200 09) on the TFL congestion charge website and it shows a little car picture and a congestion charge of £15-17.50.

I put my old Triumph T140 details in and no charge with a picture of a motorcycle. As I have read on past posts about vehicle categories being incorrect I checked my V5C. Low and behold on the GS it's down as M1. The Triumph doesn't have anything next to vehicle category probably as it's an historic vehicle.

So I thought I'd call DVLA, as there is no mention of changing the vehicle category on their website or on the V5C.

After listening to the same 2 minutes of music over and over I finally got to talk to a women who assured me that the V5C was correct and that M1 means any passenger carrying vehicle with less than 8 seats. Even when I told her that the EU vehicle category codes say that L is the code for motorcycles and mopeds, (I got it from the EU website) she still insisted that she was correct.

I've since put the GS reg into the Birmingham and Portsmouth CAZ websites, and they also say it's a car but that there is no charge.

Anyone else spent time banging their heads against DVLA?:blast:mad:

DVLA were hopeless when I first contacted them about mine.
I spoke with BMW UK and asked for a Certificate of Conformity for the GSA, which I then had to send on to DVLA, along with my V5, which then came back with the amended Category.
I can't recall the Ins and Outs, but it took around a week and cost nothing iirc.

I spoke with BMW UK and asked for a Certificate of Conformity for the GSA, which I then had to send on to DVLA, along with my V5, which then came back with the amended Category.
I can't recall the Ins and Outs, but it took around a week and cost nothing iirc.

Thanks for the info.

I'm not having any problem with emission charges, both Portsmouth and Birmingham aren't charging me because I assume the bike is clean enough. They all think that it's a car and therefore TFL will charge or try to charge me for bringing a car into the congestion zone. No charge for emissions.

Do I need a letter of conformity to prove it's a motorcycle or to prove its emission level?

I'm going to have another go at DVLA tomorrow if my ears and sanity will take it!

I had a webchat with TFL about the same problem and the bod came back and said you won't be charged, as it has proved to be. Kept the transcript just in case..

Query
User comment: Hi, my motorcycle is showing on the Congestion Charge checker as a car and applicable for congestion charge. How can i change this (it's a motorbike!) Thank you, Rob

Transcript
Tara (15:37:44)
Hi, you're chatting with Tara, how can I help you today? Do not leave this page unless we ask you to. If you do, you may end our conversation

Me (15:38:23)
Hi Tara

Tara (15:38:33)
For security purposes can you confirm that your email is correct? *********@*****.***

Me (15:38:42)
That's correct, thanks

Tara (15:38:57)
Can you confirm your vehicle registration please?

Me (15:39:09)
Yes, it is *** ***

Me (15:39:32)
BMW R1200GS Adventure

Tara (15:40:18)
Ok, I can confirm your vehicle *** *** is exempt from the Congestion Charge. Our vehicle checker does not take exemptions/discounts into consideration.

Me (15:40:58)
Ah OK that's fine, my other bike shows up as a bike and exempt so I thought I'd check.

Me (15:41:00)
Thank you!

Tara (15:41:26)
Is there anything else I can help you with?

Me (15:41:41)
No that's all good, thank you Tara

You will need a CoC before DVLA will consider correcting the Category on your V5.
As regards TFL or other Entities, I have no idea because once the V5 is Amended and the Information Updated with the relevant Bodies, the problem goes away.
It did for me at least

I did the same, but it took about 3 months.

I know that this has been raised before, but I've just checked my bike (GS1200 09) on the TFL congestion charge website and it shows a little car picture and a congestion charge of £15-17.50.

I put my old Triumph T140 details in and no charge with a picture of a motorcycle. As I have read on past posts about vehicle categories being incorrect I checked my V5C. Low and behold on the GS it's down as M1. The Triumph doesn't have anything next to vehicle category probably as it's an historic vehicle.

So I thought I'd call DVLA, as there is no mention of changing the vehicle category on their website or on the V5C.

After listening to the same 2 minutes of music over and over I finally got to talk to a women who assured me that the V5C was correct and that M1 means any passenger carrying vehicle with less than 8 seats. Even when I told her that the EU vehicle category codes say that L is the code for motorcycles and mopeds, (I got it from the EU website) she still insisted that she was correct.

I've since put the GS reg into the Birmingham and Portsmouth CAZ websites, and they also say it's a car but that there is no charge.

Anyone else spent time banging their heads against DVLA?:blast:mad:

Here's the original Thread covering the Subject.
Looking back, it seems that my Issues were resolved in just under 4 Weeks.
You're in there somewhere too, although you weren't particularly bothered about it back then ;)

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showt...rect-vehicle-type/page2?highlight=r1200gsa+V5

Back
Top Bottom