Medieval Festival Rothenburg ob der Tauber

Rick 1600

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
If anyone is near Rothenburg on Friday 2nd Sept, go to the festival. Lots of sausages and beer. What more could you wish for?

Do the midnight guided tour if it’s still on.

I was there for it in 1984 IIRC, had a fantastic time, even the local cops were dressed up in medieval soldiers uniforms. There was a torchlight (as in burning) walk around the town and the walls. i have a vague memory of the mayor or some local dignitary dressed up and having to drink a flagon of wine on the town hall steps.
A beautiful town, but a bit of a tourist honeypot.

I stumbled upon it 10 years ago and thought I’d stepped through some kind of time warp. I returned a couple of years ago, a great weekend.
A German general during WW2 apparently pulled his troops out of town so the USAF wouldn’t flatten it it was so beautiful.

Little known fact,a Ritchie Blackmore album cover is a picture of the town.

A lovely town. part of the romantic route through Germany. It was where the child catcher scenes in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang were filmed. Try a Schneeball if you visit.

German medieval festivals can be great. I combined beer drinking and axe throwing, wasn't quite the disaster it deserved to be!

I stumbled upon it 10 years ago and thought I’d stepped through some kind of time warp. I returned a couple of years ago, a great weekend.
A German general during WW2 apparently pulled his troops out of town so the USAF wouldn’t flatten it it was so beautiful.

Little known fact,a Ritchie Blackmore album cover is a picture of the town.
He's actually got 2 x albums with the same location painted. One winter scene and one summer. I was there a few years ago and nobody I spoke to had any idea of his connection with the town

Back
Top Bottom