R80g/s gearbox problem

rolldrum

Reaction score
Hi, I'm Having trouble selecting first gear, i.e., it's near impossible. I've been riding the bike relatively regularly, without any problems, gears changing without problem, finding neutral easy enough. Then suddenly first gear would not engage, not from neutral or second. All other gears are working perfectly.
The clutch is adjusted correctly. I've drained the oil, which looks clean, it wasn't very old anyway. There wasn't any pieces of metal on the magnetic drain plug.
I don't want to strip the gearbox down if it isn't necessary, the shimming and removing the flange and nut sound daunting. However I think that's going to be the only solution, unless anyone has any ideas. :confused: :confused:

I very much doubt you can fix this without taking the gearbox apart. If you have the correct tool and a heat gun, the strip is straightforward. If the fix does not involve new bearings you can get away with existing shims (always good to check them, which requires more tools). It could be a selector problem, if you are lucky, selector forks if less so, badly worn dogs if you are a stranger to luck. Or a replacement gearbox. Many people have said 'airhead gearboxes don't fix themselves'.

Hi, I'm Having trouble selecting first gear, i.e., it's near impossible. I've been riding the bike relatively regularly, without any problems, gears changing without problem, finding neutral easy enough. Then suddenly first gear would not engage, not from neutral or second. All other gears are working perfectly.
The clutch is adjusted correctly. I've drained the oil, which looks clean, it wasn't very old anyway. There wasn't any pieces of metal on the magnetic drain plug.
I don't want to strip the gearbox down if it isn't necessary, the shimming and removing the flange and nut sound daunting. However I think that's going to be the only solution, unless anyone has any ideas. :confused: :confused:
First port of call, check your gear linkage, it can be adjusted.

Try these guys at that price it ain't worth getting your hands dirty!

BMW Gearbox Rebuild - Sinroja Motorcycleshttps://www.sinrojamotorcycles.co.uk › product-page

BMW Gearbox Rebuild - Sinroja Motorcycleshttps://www.sinrojamotorcycles.co.uk › product-page

Their rebuild service doesn't seem to include 'fix a problem'. If they find one then you are possibly over a barrel with the eventual spare parts you'll need to have installed. These gearboxes don't fix themselves and certainly not by just replacing the bearings, seals and springs and giving it a clean.

Hanging my head in shame right now. I'd just installed a surefoot side stand, and it turns out the gear change lever was binding on the frame/engine stud, nothing to do with the gearbox at all! Ooops.

Hanging my head in shame right now. I'd just installed a surefoot side stand, and it turns out the gear change lever was binding on the frame/engine stud, nothing to do with the gearbox at all! Ooops.

No harm done, great! Plenty of useful advice on here though!

Who hasn't done something similar, fair play for fessing up with the admission, life's a learning curve, from which we can all benefit.

Back
Top Bottom