Using the XT on multiple bikes?

King Rat

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I am a bit stuck at the moment because my XT box didn't contain the motorcycle powerlead and part of the mount..... suction cup for the car, but only half the motorbike kit. It took me an hour of reading the instructions and trying to work out which bits in the box fitted where before I realised.

Has anyone got any ideas of how to mount the XT so I can easily use it on the 80GS, 100CS and the X Country? It will need a power lead wiring to the battery of the two airheads. The GS I could mount it on the cross bar of the handlebars, but it is very thin. I am a bit stuck for ideas as how to make it quickly moveable from one to the other. I might just resort to having it in the tankbag window and the cable running down the tank to the battery.

Easiest way is to buy another mount and power cable (they don't come together)
Cheaper way is to fit a plug to the end of the power lead so you move the whole thing but will also mean unbolting the mount each time and tucking away the long length of cable which Garmin seem to think you need that doesn't have a mid-point connection.

I bought a second mount and cable so I can swap my XT between my bikes. Both mounts are hard wired to the battery, so no need to keep the satnav charged. Well worth doing, in my opinion.

I think your device is new (or even if it’s second hand) contact the seller and ask them to provide the ALL the missing pieces or send it back for a refund. The only other alternative is to buy the missing pieces, which is quite easy. That solves problem one.

Problem two (that of more than one bike) is solved the same way.

How to mount the small XT carrier (the bit the device clips into and receives its power from)? Look at the bikes and pretend your life depends on achieving it. Failing that, Google some pictures

I bought a second mount and cable so I can swap my XT between my bikes. Both mounts are hard wired to the battery, so no need to keep the satnav charged. Well worth doing, in my opinion.

In a similar vein, I had the option to mount my new Zumo XT to my GSA using the included power lead in the box but realised I would then need to buy another one for my Tmax, plus the added faff of wiring it in to two bikes.

Instead I bought the 3DAM Zumo XT adapter. I can connect the unit to both the Nav prep cradle on the GSA and also the old Zumo 660 mount on my scooter in one easy click...... Nice and easy.

Why Garmin felt the need to use a new type of power/data connection is beyond me. Probably just for cost saving and design simplicity.

Back
Top Bottom