Royal Enfield Constellation

(RIP) spike418

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Afternoon folks.

I've long had an Enfield itch that needs to be scratched before I pop my clogs.

There's an inheritance coming my way in the next few weeks (or months!).

So I started looking at Bullets first of all. And then I had the idea of buying one built in the year I was born (1960) and came across this beauty.

I've no knowledge of the Constellation and it seems a very low price for a 62 year old in such an apparent pristine condition.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265527186070?hash=item3dd2a75296:g:tEgAAOSwI8lh9~ye

So what am I missing :nenau

Just not fashionable, utterly unreliable or some other dark secret.

Any ideas?

Apart from a bit of oil dripped on the paving slabs..........

Attachments

• constellation.jpg
    constellation.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 343
That looks lovely. So long as your happy to spend a lot of time fettling go for it. Used to be an old engineer chap who lived over the road from me, he had his from new, he rode most days of the year, commuting and days out. But it was a labour of love for him. I wanted to buy it when he passed away but his son wanted it although he didn't ride, said he'd learn but never did, then a few years later sold it without telling me :(
I don't think I could kick start one now, not with the state of my knees :D

Apart from a bit of oil dripped on the paving slabs..........

That’s how you know there’s oil in it - when it stops dripping you’ve run out

I’ve got a BSA 250 in the shed, it drips oil every time I touch it despite the fact that it hasn’t run for at least 20 years, and doesn’t even have an oil tank (it does, it’s in a crate with a bunch of other bits)

Don’t know anything about Enfields but that looks nice.

Very nice. They can be high maintenance but if put together properly they are a beast of a bike. Spares back up is very good and lots of owner knowledge out there. Check closely for crankcase oil leaks. Some of the castings were soo bad Enfield painted all of the crankcases inside with a sealer.

Bite the bullet Spike and get a new model twin, you will spend less time fettling and more time riding it.

As above; the new Enfields are very good bikes and certainly look the part;:beerjug:

As above; the new Enfields are very good bikes and certainly look the part;:beerjug:

I know, I know but...............

because of where the inheritance is coming from I want a Brit bike the same age as me :beerjug:

Ok it'll rattle, moan, break down etc but then so do I :D

They were good bikes Spike ... mostly used for sidecar work, but good solo :thumb2

You're in love .... ha ha, there's only one answer :D

1) Do I want it?
2) Can I afford it?

If both questions answered in the affirmative then you know my advice :thumb2

:beerjug:

Edit .... looking at the angle of the front brake lever it wants new brake linings or the lever moving on its splines!

I have to agree with other comments, I've had lots of older bikes, mostly 70s Kawasaki Triples, but I did scratch an itch a few years ago when I bought a BSA Gold Flash A10 and then a Velocette Venom, they were great when they ran, but needed constant fettling, especially Velo which, for me, was a nightmare

A new RE or Kawasaki W800 or similar is a better option IMHO, although if you really want to get involved then buy an older Brit bike join the owners club and become involved in the fraternity.

But, as they say, you won't know until you try one.......good luck with whatever you decide :thumb

I know, I know but...............

because of where the inheritance is coming from I want a Brit bike the same age as me :beerjug:

Ok it'll rattle, moan, break down etc but then so do I :D

Totaly get that spike; i've not had a British bike since 1977; and the ones i had spent plenty of time in bits; but even through all the grief i still have a soft spot them; fair plays to yer;:beerjug:
Funily enough the 1100gs gives me the same riding satisfaction and feeling; but without the spanners;:D

Spike Im no expert on Connies , but I do know some have meteor or super meteor engines in them. Since over 60 years lots can happen. Check the provenance and make sure engine no’s tie in with early reg docs

They were good bikes Spike ... mostly used for sidecar work, but good solo :thumb2

You're in love .... ha ha, there's only one answer :D

1) Do I want it?
2) Can I afford it?

If both questions answered in the affirmative then you know my advice :thumb2

Edit .... looking at the angle of the front brake lever it wants new brake linings or the lever moving on its splines!

oooff. Glad you never stopped me when I was riding 'rat' bikes on the road in my yoof....:D

There is no reason any old bike can't be reliable nowdays. With modern engineering and materials nearly all of the old problems can be sorted.
A new one might be reliable but it won't have any soul.

I have one of them as well and it's not going anywhere either.

There is no reason any old bike can't be reliable nowdays. With modern engineering and materials nearly all of the old problems can be sorted.

Have a look at what these guys do with old british bikes spike; a well put together vid.:beerjug:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220823-094304.jpg
    Screenshot_20220823-094304.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 119

You're the one with the soul. If whatever bike you are riding at the time massages that soul, then the bike is a good'un.

oooff. Glad you never stopped me when I was riding 'rat' bikes on the road in my yoof....:D

I stopped a young kid one day on his motorbike in Rotherham ... it was a death trap. The chain and sprockets were so worn that when you wheeled it backwards the click click of the chain over hooked sprockets was really evident. The front brake lever came back to the handlebars, the rear break was absolutely none existent :eek:

I was a young kid at sixteen riding a motorcycle many years previous :rob

I asked the kid if his dad couldn't help him with the 'bike, get it sorted safely .... his dad had left him and his mom and was nowhere around anymore! I'd been there too ....

Sent him on his way, told to ride carefully, no ticket issued.

Phoned his mom up (she ran a pub) and told her of the problems with the 'bike that wanted sorting. She was ever so grateful and invited me down for a couple of free beers :D

Never did, I had my own problems then .... but it could have been a life changer :rob

Back
Top Bottom