RJ’s GS

rjwojcik

Reaction score
Firstly, apologies for the epic. It’s been a long time since I last rode, just over twenty years ago.

I started riding back in the eighties, began with a Kawasaki AR125 liquid cooled, then got my license, then moved to a Honda CB750 and ended up with a Suzuki GSXR 600. At the end of the nineties, my riding days ended. Sold my leathers…

Fast forward to this year, and the opportunity arose for me to get back into riding. I’ve no interest of going fast anymore and putting myself at any more risk than necessary. Happy just to bimble, that’s another new word I have learnt.

Having had BMW cars for almost thirty years, I decided to look at their motorbikes. My good friend from university has an R1250RT and told me about it and I also had the chance of sitting on it. Amazed it had things like cruise control and ABS, things have changed since I last rode.

So, the search started. The RT felt a little old man’s bike to me, so I then started looking at the GS / GSA. I was also advised to use a dealer for my purchase, due to the risk of buying a stolen / crashed example or one without a decent warranty in case of any issues.

Autotrader searches commenced, but also noticed that for the price of a newish example a new one could also be bought. So, I rang a couple of dealers that were showing on Autotrader and was close to signing on the dotted line. I then decided to contact my local dealer, and they had a couple in stock, so decided to go for a new one with them. So, a couple of months ago I had the bike delivered. Never test rode the bike. So here she is...

Bought new gear from the Sport Bike Shop, no leathers this time but comfortable jeans, jacket, helmet, gloves and boots. Didn’t realise how much that all cost either. But I do cringe when I see riders out in shorts & t-shirts.

Happy with the bike, but it is heavy, Jez… It’s fine on the move, just slow riding and man handling it around, but getting used to as time goes by.

I’ve also joined my local bike group and have now had my first observed ride. Currently reading through the Motorcycle Roadcraft book, and getting to know accronyms such as IPSGA and SMIDSY. My aim is to get a ROSPA.

Both my next door neighbours have bikes, I’ve been out with both and it’s great to use a common subject to make conversation. I’ve probably spoken to both more in the last couple of months that I have in a last years we’ve lived together.

My first mod has been the headlamp protector from Kevin M. I’ve also invested in a sat nav and started planning routes using Calimoto.

Next week I have my running in service booked, that’ll be interesting :nod

RJ, if I could offer just one piece of advice (I see your comment about not wanting to ride fast anymore) it would be…..,don’t try to ride fast. Try to ride properly and fast will follow. By that I mean the ability to comfortably maintain the right distance between you and the other riders you ride with, without the need to gun it like mad on a straight to catch back up. Some good training will pay you right back in that department. Enjoy.

RJ, if I could offer just one piece of advice (I see your comment about not wanting to ride fast anymore) it would be…..,don’t try to ride fast. Try to ride properly and fast will follow. By that I mean the ability to comfortably maintain the right distance between you and the other riders you ride with, without the need to gun it like mad on a straight to catch back up. Some good training will pay you right back in that department. Enjoy.

It's a shame we don't have a like on this site #like :thumb

I'd echo that.... If you're returning to riding after a chunk of time off, you'd do worse than looking up your local BikeSafe course and getting enrolled. Best biking money I've spent (it's not expensive btw, but it was very good).
https://bikesafe.co.uk/

Oh, and welcome to the forum btw!

It's been a while since I last posted, TBH been busy with other things. However, had the engine bars painted to match the frame and back on just now.

So, from this:

to this:

I’ve also joined my local bike group and have now had my first observed ride. Currently reading through the Motorcycle Roadcraft book, and getting to know accronyms such as IPSGA and SMIDSY. My aim is to get a ROSPA.

Both my next door neighbours have bikes, I’ve been out with both and it’s great to use a common subject to make conversation. I’ve probably spoken to both more in the last couple of months that I have in a last years we’ve lived together.

My first mod has been the headlamp protector from Kevin M. I’ve also invested in a sat nav and started planning routes using Calimoto.

Next week I have my running in service booked, that’ll be interesting :nod

I remember you as an A6 BiTdi/S6 owner. Welcome!

Weiser Technik indicators and K3 now on, just need to put the panels back on, then I'll try and post some pics

Been looking to paint some of my panels, getting a colour code was a challenge. Eventually, I rang my dealer who were helpful, for mine it's B15 Light White solid for those that ever need a match. Paint and lacquer ordered from RS Bike Paint. Whatch this space...

rjwojcik, if you see this, e-mail me on john(dot)bentall(at)gmail.com for possible meeting at BMW Witham.

Back
Top Bottom