The awesome steed, has,,,,,

Wapping

Reaction score
……puffed into Walkers at Thetford.

80 miles done since pick-up this morning. 220 to go.

6e9ba38c70b886d03f487aa54a9d2644.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ohh, nice, engine bars and hand guards too for the discerning biker mate

We await the Wapping mordant review of the bike; possibly a little down on geegees compared to the other recent acquisition?:aidan

Last edited:
I picked up the bike at around 10:30 this morning and completed the 300 mile running-in this evening, using a circular course which went: Newbury Park (A12 edge of East London / Essex) into Essex, Suffolk, Cambridgeshire, Suffolk, Cambridgeshire, Suffolk (it gets a bit confusing as to which county yiu are in), Essex and back to London E1. This included a tea stop, a lunch stop and a supper stop.

Musings:

1. The running-in was not too bad, providing you take a bit of care not to labour the engine. Short shift and all is good.

2. You can definitely feel the engine loosening up as the day goes on.

3. Seat is good for all day use.

4. I ride with the ball of my feet (near enough on my toes) on the pegs, which is comfortable enough. If I go right onto my toes, the heel of my right boot catches on something. It’s not annoying but I’m conscious of it. Moving my feet so that the footrest was under my instep (near enough against my heel) was OK, for a bit of a change.

5. I didn’t work out the MPG but I’d guess at the high 70’s.

6. The lights (I came home in the dark) were OK for the bike’s limited speed. On narrow unlit Essex B or unlisted roads, I might say that you are better off using dipped, rather than main beam, as the throw of light is a bit better. It’s easy to be overly critical of lights. Don’t forget I come from a 1600 with stock lights that would shame a lighthouse. Like the rest of the little 411cc bike, just accept the lights for what they are and you’ll be fine.

7. The dashboard lights are good, with everything very clear. The separate Royal Enfield navigation module is very bright though, and arguably a bit distracting, until you get used to it.

8. Nothing fell off. The bike didn’t stall (some say that it does) and I wasn’t aware of any really annoying vibrations. By the end of the day, the slack gap at the clutch handle end of the clutch cable had increased a bit and could probably do with taking in a little bit. I suspect that is nothing more than everything bedding in and maybe the cable stretching a little with use. The clutch certainly isn’t slipping and remains smooth to use.

9. The front brake is fine for the bike’s 25 bhp, it just take a bit to bed in from new. Bods moan about the back brake but it’s OK.

10. I did a bit of light off-roading, basically up the edge of a cut corn field, part on an unmade footpath and then back on the diagonal across the field. The bike was fine.

All in all, a good day out on an easy to ride but fun bike.

Brilliant, thanks for that.

Health to enjoy Sir

Point 7….. Reading the owner’s handbook, I see that the navigation module / binnacle thing is disable via the Navigation app. As I haven’t yet linked a phone to the bike, that’ll have to wait.

One thing I did forget to mention, you get a decent blast of warmth from the engine. Not enough to be annoying.

Item 4;
You may find, if you are contacting the brake slave cylinder with your boot you will drag the rubber boot off, i did. The fix is to fit a heel guard which is what i did.

Oh, and by the way. The speedo cable goes through a rubber grommet in a wire clip thing and isn't able to slide in and out as the forks do their thing, My advice is remove the grommet from the clip allowing the cable free movement otherwise the cable will, eventually break where it bends. I did this with mine and just put a cable tie across the open side of the clip to keep the cable confined. I did this almost straight away and the cable is still fine after almost 4 years and 9k miles.

Item 4;
You may find, if you are contacting the brake slave cylinder with your boot you will drag the rubber boot off, i did. The fix is to fit a heel guard which is what i did.

Oh, and by the way. The speedo cable goes through a rubber grommet in a wire clip thing and isn't able to slide in and out as the forks do their thing, My advice is remove the grommet from the clip allowing the cable free movement otherwise the cable will, eventually break where it bends. I did this with mine and just put a cable tie across the open side of the clip to keep the cable confined. I did this almost straight away and the cable is still fine after almost 4 years and 9k miles.

Thank you.

..and it'll be great off-road.

At the recent New Forest gathering two very serious blokes on very serious XRV750s were laughing telling us about how they got thoroughly stuck on a technical step on a gnarly lane, only to be passed by a nonchalant lady on a Himmy, followed by a Himmy towing another which had conked out... all the Himmys pottered up the tricky step without drama and chuffed away!

I see what you mean about the right boot heel catching the rubber boot. I’ll fix that.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom