Jaca to

47steve

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am planning my first trip to the Pyrenees / Picos and was after a bit of help choosing a route from Jaca to Potes via Ona. (1 day Jaca to Ona / 1 day Ona onto Potes)

I have looked at various maps / google and have an outline of the route but would like a few pointers on what routes you would recommend taking in scenery / roads / twisties etc?

Any pointers would be helpful.

TA Steve

Kurviger, makes a pretty good stab at it.

3e500809c53d176400fcebda9dae9719.png

Use a Michelin paper map or similar to fine tune.

Hi All,

I am planning my first trip to the Pyrenees / Picos and was after a bit of help choosing a route from Jaca to Potes via Ona. (1 day Jaca to Ona / 1 day Ona onto Potes)

I have looked at various maps / google and have an outline of the route but would like a few pointers on what routes you would recommend taking in scenery / roads / twisties etc?

Any pointers would be helpful.

TA Steve

I like these. There's plenty of great surfaces, twisties and scenery ...
Jaca to Ona (7:15 hrs)
https://goo.gl/maps/Wfhuxh5AME7Mo9FU6
Really great roads all the way to Olatzi then motorway past Vitoria before exiting for Sobron where you follow the Ebro river for a while. Frias is a great little old town which is well worth a stop and the run down to Busto de Bureba is a nice ride.

Ona to Potes (4 hrs)
https://goo.gl/maps/HSTh6hDSTshwTqsQ7
Very nice canyon run through Puentedey, which is well worth a photo stop due to its site. First class run down from the Puerto Carrales to Ruerrero. Through Polientes following the Ebro river again through some lovely villages and countryside. The ride up from Cervera de Pisuerga to the Mirador de Piedrasluengas is pleasant but the Mirador itself is a gem. The road into Potes is really good. Once in Potes try and take time to walk the streets on the hill above the main street. There are some lovely local restaurants and bars.

The above routes were good for me but there are probably some even better roads if you look closely. Street View is your friend. I also like MyRouteApp which has a Michelin map filter which highlights the scenic routes (green shading). If undecided you can't go too far wrong following these. Apologies if I'm teaching granny to suck eggs. Good luck.

Kurviger, makes a pretty good stab at it.

3e500809c53d176400fcebda9dae9719.png

Use a Michelin paper map or similar to fine tune.

The first dark blue section is pants - all the exclamation marks point to massive road works where the road is being replaced by a motorway ...

It is given only as a suggested way to easily find possible routes. As with any software or algorithm driven routing tools, you then have to look at the legend to find out what the symbols mean or do a bit of other research through street view or via other web sites.

A common reply on this forum is “Look at a map mate, to find the twisty roads and the ones bordered green”. That works, of course (assuming the bod has a map and can read / imagine what it shows) but the map will not show road closures, though it might show great view points.

Use Kurviger or any other routing software to get ideas on the way to go. This is all the OP wanted, unless of course he really wanted (as some seem to) a completely detailed, road-by-road, turn-by-turn list and drawing. Is it perfect? No, of course not. Sometimes it will take the rider on stupid little detours, just to put a ‘twist’ into it. Sometimes it will miss out the ‘Must do’ three miles of awesome twisties’n’views’n’stuff, known only to someone else. But, as a quick guide, it’s pretty good. What the journey will be like on the day is never absolutely certain; maybe they’ll hate it because they don’t find a McDonalds’ for that taste of home?

:beerjug:

We used this route in June and it was enjoyable, but we did it in one day. Ignore the frequency of the fuel stops, they are planned for a V4 Streetfighter.

Capture-Jaca-Potes.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Back
Top Bottom