Indian manufacturing tolerances

Wapping

Reaction score
This evening I had my first (and probably not my last) experience of tolerances.

I had bought a side stand foot enlarger from Hitchcocks, who also supply some very clear pictures as to how the thing is attached to the side stand. It really is very easy.

https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/accessory-shop/Stands-Accessories/43274

The problem that I encountered was that the upturned lip A was too close to the bracket B, which meant that the very simple polished U-shaped retaining piece could not slide through the gap. In essence the gap was too close by a couple of millimetres. Nor could the U-shaped piece be reversed, as the holes didn’t line up close enough. I also tried inserting the U-piece sideways and turning it but the space available was too small and tight.

3c5673db0d7e9dcd94aa26b9d8aefb91.png

I tried a little washing-up liquid / grease and tapping the U-piece through the gap, with no luck. I was reluctant to try to bend the lip lip, for fear of breaking it or the bracket.

Refusing to be defeated and before running off to Brick Lane for local hands-on experience of all things relating to the Indian sub-continent, I looked at the U-shaped bracket and asked myself “What would Gupta do when faced with such a problem?”.

The spirit of Ganesha at once filled me with wisdom….. of course, Gupta would take a small hacksaw and cut the U-piece in two, along the line C. The two pieces would then slide in and bolted down.

All was well.

e5eac0bb8a69f8bf9aaf3ad51017fa5b.jpg

:D Gupta would be very proud of you im sure. I had a similar experience trying to fit pannier frames . im guessing they're still using feet and inches as a few things aren't mm perfect. its all part charm .:blast:p

But is that Indian manufacturing tolerances or Hitchcocks?

:beerjug:

Probably indian as I have known several folk get this Hitchcocks part each seemed to look different when fitted to the Himi.

I've been dealing with a guy called Raju Lax in India for a few years, he is 100% trustworthy. He can get anything parts and accessories wise, can forward his contact details if anyone requires.

But is that Indian manufacturing tolerances or Hitchcocks?

A happy mixture of both, I guess. :D

As per post #3 it is part of the simple charm of the bike. Compared with the origami of taking the fairings off a 1600, it is a joy.

And, of course, the enlarger catches on the spring of the centre stand, as you raise or lower the side stand. What else might you expect?

And to think……

A lot of the software I work with has Indian Dev teams…..

Still not to worry - it’s only $95an hour rather than $300

Maybe it was a one off duff part? I fitted similar from Hitchcocks to my Interceptor without issue. The spirit of Ganesha was surely with me :D

Back
Top Bottom