Suitable bike lift for the R18 Classic

blues n twos

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all (well those that visit here :D)

I'm looking to get a lift for my R18 for basic maintenance etc and have seen this in Halfords. I've had a look underneath the bike and it seems fairly "flat". Would this be suitable to raise the R18 a few inches of the ground?

Cheers,

Jon :beerjug:

I used to have an ez big blue, which I used to lift my Road King on and was pretty good. Worth a look.

Thanks for the replies :beerjug:

Will enquire about specific tabs that might be required to secure the bike. To be honest I'm not looking to have it at waist height, more for wheels off cleaning and maintanance so max 6" off the deck. :thumb2

Jon

I’ve got a similar lift for my Guzzis.

I use a square 15” timber ‘pad’ to go underneath the sump.

Perhaps even shape it to exactly match the underside?

Here it is, showing the underside. The piece of ply fits snuggly between the lift arms so it doesn’t move around.

Attachments

• CB256787-9965-43D0-BEFC-0AAB0F62D67B.jpg
    CB256787-9965-43D0-BEFC-0AAB0F62D67B.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 291
Here it is, showing the underside. The piece of ply fits snuggly between the lift arms so it doesn’t move around.

I think I could knock something like that up. I'll take some measurements of the underside.

Thanks for taking the time to post up :beerjug:

I'va always used a scissor jack when servicing my old Electraglide, similar to this ...........

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/28362899...nAAN4i5drAAEEW9/sG5WPXo7s=|tkp:Bk9SR7DL7M_aYA

500 Kg capacity, wind it up/down with a ratchet wrench. OK, it can't lift the whole bike skywards, but fine for most DIY tasks. My neighbour borrows it for his old British Classics occasionally.

If you go hydraulic, make sure the lift can be locked mechanically if it is to be left in the raised position for a period. Obvs check there is sufficient clearance too.

The original of these is the J&S Jacks which are designed to lift Harleys and are very heavy duty, but also very difficult to get hold of in the UK.

Below is a pic of my RKS on the J&S that I was lucky enough to acquire from a gentleman of this Parish.

The Halfords looks like a similar version, so if you want to pop round and try your R18 on mine, then just drop me a PM. Your mate Chris (Urban Rider) knows where I live and has my contact details! ;)

ATB
Toddy

Attachments

• RKS on JS Jack.jpg
    RKS on JS Jack.jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 270
I'va always used a scissor jack when servicing my old Electraglide, similar to this ...........

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/28362899...nAAN4i5drAAEEW9/sG5WPXo7s=|tkp:Bk9SR7DL7M_aYA

500 Kg capacity, wind it up/down with a ratchet wrench. OK, it can't lift the whole bike skywards, but fine for most DIY tasks. My neighbour borrows it for his old British Classics occasionally.

If you go hydraulic, make sure the lift can be locked mechanically if it is to be left in the raised position for a period. Obvs check there is sufficient clearance too.

Cheap as chips as well :beerjug: Halfords one can be locked in 3 different height positions and is £120 which I didn't think was too bad either.

The original of these is the J&S Jacks which are designed to lift Harleys and are very heavy duty, but also very difficult to get hold of in the UK.

Below is a pic of my RKS on the J&S that I was lucky enough to acquire from a gentleman of this Parish.

The Halfords looks like a similar version, so if you want to pop round and try your R18 on mine, then just drop me a PM. Your mate Chris (Urban Rider) knows where I live and has my contact details! ;)

ATB
Toddy

Cheers Toddy, I'll drop Chris a line as well as he may be interested in one as well.

Will be in touch :beerjug:

ATB
Toddy

Toddy,

That RKS is lovely.....

Use this on a similar jack for ifting Eldorado 1400, works a treat.

Attachments

• 32A8EE90-E9BC-4012-872D-BD21DC03EAE7 (1).jpeg
    32A8EE90-E9BC-4012-872D-BD21DC03EAE7 (1).jpeg
    106.5 KB · Views: 226
  • 007FC0F6-A65E-461F-A58E-C0416E4E314D.jpeg
    007FC0F6-A65E-461F-A58E-C0416E4E314D.jpeg
    136.1 KB · Views: 222
My brothers design. He made it up for his California 1400 and I copied it to use for my Eldorado. Keeps the bike nice and stable on the lift platform.

Hi do these jacks lift the r18 safely as it on has a side stand thanks ian

ATB
Toddy

Hey Toddy, I just came across this elderly post of yours. What year is your RKS? (you have the smaller, more tasteful engine bars on yours).:nenau

Hey Toddy, I just came across this elderly post of yours. What year is your RKS? (you have the smaller, more tasteful engine bars on yours).:nenau

Mine’s a 2019 Si, but the previous owner changed the engine bars. I have the originals in the loft :D

Back
Top Bottom