V85TT - Not what oil, but how...

Clem

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
do you access the oil filler with engine bars fitted!

Big funnel - won't fit as the engine bars get in the way.
Small funnel - wrong angle, successfully lubricates the exhaust rather than putting oil into the engine!

Looks like I need a new long flexible funnel!

I don’t know what you lot are doing but I just tip mine in straight from the (motrex) bottle. It has a small pull-up spout. A tiny bit dribbles on the exhaust.

Standard MG crash bars.

do you access the oil filler with engine bars fitted!

Big funnel - won't fit as the engine bars get in the way.
Small funnel - wrong angle, successfully lubricates the exhaust rather than putting oil into the engine!

Looks like I need a new long flexible funnel!

Just struggled to top mine up too so glad to hear it’s not just me :augie

After 2K+ miles around Europe in July plus trips to Scotland and Yorkshire, the bike has reached 5K miles since I bought it - all very satisfying miles I must say!

Recently the oil pressure light has been very briefly flashing on when stopping from a high speed - hence the prompting to check & top up the oil.

Oil level seemed to b at full level (but difficult to see well), and I thought an oil & filter change would be appropriate after the summer miles. With my previous bike (RT & GS) I always ran them on not the most expensive oil and high frequency of changes, so I'm trying to adopt a similar strategy with the V85.

But, the oil expensive! No issues, I shopped around for some decent but good value 10W60 and got a couple of filters off Teasdale.

I ran the bike for a short period to warm the oil, discovered a missing bolt on the sump guard and cracked on with the oil drain ....... it's like draining ketchup from the engine!

Even when dropping the filter out, I think I only got about 1 litre out of the sump and the sight glass is still "unclear" - I can't get the glass to clear and give a good view of the level.
I've topped up the oil to the right level (I think) and I'm wondering whether to take the bike a for a decent run and then risk burns on the Cat and drain the oil when it's at full temperature.

With it only needing 1.76 litre, I think the level is going to be quite sensitive to top up!

As a new M-G owner I'm learning the foibles of the brand!

Get in the kitchen...

Yet to try it myself but my better half moulds a foil roasting tray into shape to access the awkward oil filler & drain on her narrowboat. Feasible?

From the bottom line on the sight glass to the top is only something like 100ml or less. I’ve never measured it, just that when I do top up it really doesn’t take much and a 1 litre bottle has lasted me 20,000 miles with 2-3 top ups between services.

It was a Motrex bottle with a little pull out spout. Dead easy to top up.

Back
Top Bottom