Bmw connect cradle

gsa matt

Reaction score
I have used the search button. I'm looking at getting a new connect cradle. But I'm wondering will it work with my 2014 gsa as it doesn't have tft. It is prepped for nav. I don't want to buy it unless it will actually work right. Thanks. I did try and search the Web but no real luck many thanks

Sound thanks for the help.. I do have the wonder wheel tho so will it work via that and pair up via blue tooth...

The phone should pair via Bluetooth, to whatever it is you want to pair it to, just like normal.

The cradle will supply the power.

The wonderwheel thing should, I guess, flick through the screens.

The cradle works well in the U.K., but it failed me miserably once in the heat of southern France and Spain.

Thankfully my trusty quadlock was flown over with my wife and child, installed on the bike and normal service was resumed.

The cradle works well in the U.K., but it failed me miserably once in the heat of southern France and Spain.

Thankfully my trusty quadlock was flown over with my wife and child, installed on the bike and normal service was resumed.

That's interesting, what about it failed and was it okay when you got home?

That's interesting, what about it failed and was it okay when you got home?

It just doesn’t work in high temps, the charging stops working and the phone overheats.

My wife brought me my trusty quadlock on the plane which had no issues at all running in 38c.

I doubt it’ll be an issue in the U.K., but it’s worth having a back up if you are venturing anywhere hot.

Interesting, thanks.
Ironically I'm considering the cradle as a back up in case the Nav V fails. :thumb2

I wonder if the Quadlock allows more cooling air around the phone. They do get pretty hot when the display is on for a long time and it’s pretty enclosed in the cradle?

Its the reason I stuck with a dedicated GPS when faced with the choice between buying the phone cradle or a (discounted) Garmin ZumoXT for similar money.

I've been in hot countries where sun exposure temporarily craps out my mobile phone screen (I left it briefly lying on a wall in full sun, moving it indoors sorted it).

I guess if it was hot enough the GPS screen could also fail to display, but I've never heard of that happening.

AliExpress Cradle

Took a punt on a cheap Chinese wireless charging phone cradle that sits in the GS mount. Ok you can’t use the Whizz Wheel but For £25 It’s been bloody brilliant. Just used it on a trip round Ireland using Google maps & Myrouteapp Nav Bluetooted to my Neotec2.
Only minor gripe (since rectified) is that the sprung loaded rubber clamping pad that holds the phone secure fouls my iPhone volume buttons. I simply cut the first 10mm of rubber from the clamp & it’s now fine.

I've got to say that I find the cradle with the BMW connected ride app a huge pile of shite. The cradle is a cradle, fair enough, but the connected ride app is just rubbish. I gave up in the end and went back to my trusty Nav V. Faultless.

Those of us who live in the south of France seem to have no problem with anything overheating.

I did have the cheap aliexpress mount that fits into the GPS holder for a while, but that is just a piece of plastic with no functionality so it was changed.

Those of us who live in the south of France seem to have no problem with anything overheating.

I did have the cheap aliexpress mount that fits into the GPS holder for a while, but that is just a piece of plastic with no functionality so it was changed.

I can only go off my recent experience. Charging stopped and phone would not charge from wireless due to the heat.

The app was still running (up to the point the phone battery died).

Not had a problem with my connect cradle (including using it in high temps 36 plus).

I prefer using google maps to the Nav software in the connected app however. I bought it because my Nav 6 kept ghosting but since doing a system reset and a screen recalibration it seems to be working ok.

So I can now alternate in using both on trips. :thumb2

I can only go off my recent experience. Charging stopped and phone would not charge from wireless due to the heat.

The app was still running (up to the point the phone battery died).

Was that a problem with the phone overheating or with the mount? My money is on the phone.

Was that a problem with the phone overheating or with the mount? My money is on the phone.

The phone overheats in the mount because there is negligible airflow around it, it’s a flawed system for that reason.

I’m back in the U.K. so back using the cradle, but the quadlock will be my go to when abroad.

Am I the only one who likes the cradle and app? Hasn't overheated in the heat of this summer, charges the phone every time, held the phone even when ridden hard off road. The mapping works well on the road, no off road but I swap to OSMAnd for that or the ICO app for rallying. Just wish it wouldn't reroute off road GPX files back to the road but other than that I'm happy.

Am I the only one who likes the cradle and app? Hasn't overheated in the heat of this summer, charges the phone every time, held the phone even when ridden hard off road. The mapping works well on the road, no off road but I swap to OSMAnd for that or the ICO app for rallying. Just wish it wouldn't reroute off road GPX files back to the road but other than that I'm happy.

No I like it too - find it much quicker and easier than the Nav 6 which is very dated!

Back
Top Bottom