Bmw connect cradle

For the guys using the non bmw cradles - it will very likely ruin your phone. Two of us used the cheap cradles on a trip to Scotland and both of our iPhones failed due to the vibrations. Apple then released a note advising that vibe from a bike can ruin your phone. The connected cradle and quadlock both have rubber mountings for this reason.

Barry

Am I the only one who likes the cradle and app? Hasn't overheated in the heat of this summer, charges the phone every time, held the phone even when ridden hard off road. The mapping works well on the road, no off road but I swap to OSMAnd for that or the ICO app for rallying. Just wish it wouldn't reroute off road GPX files back to the road but other than that I'm happy.

I like it, now I’m back in the cooler temps it’s my go to solution.

Never had an issue with overheating in the U.K., even on our hottest days, but in August temps in Spain, that’s when it did let me down (they were also long rides (700-900 mile days).

Am I the only one who likes the cradle and app? Hasn't overheated in the heat of this summer, charges the phone every time, held the phone even when ridden hard off road. The mapping works well on the road, no off road but I swap to OSMAnd for that or the ICO app for rallying. Just wish it wouldn't reroute off road GPX files back to the road but other than that I'm happy.

I think that it is a great bit of kit. I plan using Calimoto.com and then use the phone in the connected cradle. Have used it all over the south of France with no heat problems whatsoever.

When one or two people have a problem, they make lots of noise about it, the rest of the happy users make no noise at all. It then looks like a huge problem to everyone else.

I get on very well with it, but I do use a USB C cable for power to manage the heat on a longer run / warm weather. I did 1k miles this summer through France and it was a remarkably uneventful trip on the GPS front!

The phone's running quite hard animating the display, running it bright in the (hopefully) good light of summer and using GPS. Also, inductive charging is not particularly efficient and generates heat in itself, so all that together does warm things up a bit when the phone's using a fair bit of energy and sat in the sun all day.

Just a quick tip.

I’ve had one cradle snap, even though I am extremely careful installing and removing it. My friends did the same, so it’s not unheard of.

I have just used a lubricant (dry bicycle chain lube) on the mechanism and it has made it glide like poop off a Teflon coated chrome shovel.

Be careful to ensure the lube you use is plastic safe (not WD40) and I would also look for something not ‘wet’, but using the right lube will enhance the experience fnarr fnarr.

Back
Top Bottom