New bike day! Yamaha S10 and why not!

Orbit

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I decided to treat myself! After selling my 1150GS Adventure SE I was left with big shoes to fill!

I've had 1200GS LC,s and 1200 TC's in fact I've lived and breathed BMW since 2001! and after many hours of research and trying various bikes I fell in love with this.....

2014, Yamaha S10 26000 miles, FSH

Full World Crosser kit, with Yamaha Akropovic and Power Commander V. Cruise control, heated grips, electronic suspension the whole cherbang!

Pretty bike that goes very well as it has been set up on a Dyno, 106bhp 82ft/lb Torque.

And its happily doing 50+ mpg.

It's perfect for my needs and I feel really at home on it.

Bizarrely I love the weight of it as it's Similar if not the same as the GSA. Personally I like big fat heavy bikes with some presence about them! Heres to many more miles to come!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220825-172804.jpg
    Screenshot_20220825-172804.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 480
  • Screenshot_20220825-172733.jpg
    Screenshot_20220825-172733.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 481
  • Screenshot_20220825-172725.jpg
    Screenshot_20220825-172725.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 479
I decided to treat myself! After selling my 1150GS Adventure SE I was left with big shoes to fill!

I've had 1200GS LC,s and 1200 TC's in fact I've lived and breathed BMW since 2001! and after many hours of research and trying various bikes I fell in love with this.....

2014, Yamaha S10 26000 miles, FSH

Full World Crosser kit, with Yamaha Akropovic and Power Commander V. Cruise control, heated grips, electronic suspension the whole cherbang!

Pretty bike that goes very well as it has been set up on a Dyno, 106bhp 82ft/lb Torque.

And its happily doing 50+ mpg.

It's perfect for my needs and I feel really at home on it.

Bizarrely I love the weight of it as it's Similar if not the same as the GSA. Personally I like big fat heavy bikes with some presence about them! Heres to many more miles to come!
Happy new bike .
Couple of tips ,check wheel spoke tension and check or change spark plugs (they can get stuck in)

Happy new bike .
Couple of tips ,check wheel spoke tension and check or change spark plugs (they can get stuck in)

Already done, spokes checked ans plugs replaced. Spokes on my 2018 GSA were horrific!!!

You are going to love this bike! I have had mine for 4 years and it reminds me of a modern version of my old R1150GS but better!

You are going to love this bike! I have had mine for 4 years and it reminds me of a modern version of my old R1150GS but better!

That is exactly why I plumped for it, modern day utilitarian, smooth and full of character. Id actually given up tryi g to find a good one and had decided to look for Triumph Explorers. It was while i was searching for a Triumph I stumbled across this one! Cracking bike that continually impresses now its in sports mode :beerjug:

Crackin bike, but I'm biased, having a 2014 ES in the stable for 8 years now.

Plenty of detail on the marque forum < yamahasupertenere.com >

Did 460 miles to Wales and back yesterday with my mate Charlie on our two. Charlies is on 77k miles, it can pretty much find its own way to wales n back it’s such a regular run for it.

Attachments

• 8F82ED1E-4976-43C0-973F-564C362F51FC.jpg
    8F82ED1E-4976-43C0-973F-564C362F51FC.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 350
Gave it a bath today!

Im just trying to sort out suspension settings and seat position. Someone said try the flat seat position but Im not sure I like it. I was in STD setting but moved to soft for a bit.

Todays picture....

Attachments

• PXL_20220828_125350810.jpg
    PXL_20220828_125350810.jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 344
Lovely thing and rapidly becoming a cult bike.

I love mine and it feels like a very up to date 1150GSA.......big, strong and utterly bombproof :D After 20 years with BMW's of all shapes and sizes, this is one of the best bikes I've owned.

The flat seat mod https://youtu.be/OhyiuvwM87I makes a world of difference to the comfort of the bike in my opinion and I use an Alaska butt pad sheepskin as well. All day comfy with no aches or pains anywhere.

I've got 5k on mine now and she's getting better with every ride and pulls like a train.

I agree with previous comments about the S10 being bombproof, I owned one in 2014, but sadly couldn't get on with it...They are a great looking bike :thumb

Attachments

• 2015-06-06 13.32.57.jpg
    2015-06-06 13.32.57.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 297
  • 2015-07-18 10.55.18.jpg
    2015-07-18 10.55.18.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 294
Lovely thing and rapidly becoming a cult bike.

I love mine and it feels like a very up to date 1150GSA.......big, strong and utterly bombproof :D After 20 years with BMW's of all shapes and sizes, this is one of the best bikes I've owned.

The flat seat mod https://youtu.be/OhyiuvwM87I makes a world of difference to the comfort of the bike in my opinion and I use an Alaska butt pad sheepskin as well. All day comfy with no aches or pains anywhere.

I've got 5k on mine now and she's getting better with every ride and pulls like a train.

I just removed the appropriate rear aeat rubbers and it rattles around now. May have to find some of those half mount rubbers. Enjoying the bike, and love the weight as it reminds me of the GS. They're a good looking bike. Whatever tbe screen is, may be a Yamaha Touring, works perfectly and l've been riding around with visor up 90%. of the time, excellent!

Oh the seat. Just how did they get it soooo wrong. Its been the one thing I’ve struggled with since buying mine last July. I started by levelling and reworking the OE seat. I then added a gel pad. Ive tried an air cushion amd a sheepie too. I’d aquired a dameged Touratech seat from a mate. Better, but still not right. I took it apart to repair the brocken post and have added a couple of layers of memory foam, but now I can’t get the cover back on. Whatever they make the base from is too hard for my electric stapler, plus the covers a bit short too. However, Saturdays long day into Wales was the most comfy Ive ever found, so I think I’m now happy with it. Just need to sort the cover out properly. Might run it over to Baldock to see if the guys there would fix it for me.
And after this summers holiday in the highlands the wife has admitted her seat also tips her forward, so I’ve used two of the larger buffers and fitted them under the front of the pillion pad, and used two large nuts as spacers and longer bolts to reattach it. Might get her out later to try ir.

Attachments

• A7862AB9-1949-4BE6-BC05-1565D47D17D4.jpeg
    A7862AB9-1949-4BE6-BC05-1565D47D17D4.jpeg
    147.4 KB · Views: 261
  • C8285C45-F55C-4F6B-A2D6-D99C0A05E1FF.jpg
    C8285C45-F55C-4F6B-A2D6-D99C0A05E1FF.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 273
Brilliant bikes, test rode them when they came out and then when the upgraded version came out , the only fly in the ointment was my wife could not get comfortable on the back due to the footrest positioning caused by the silencers size.

Shame really because the brother in law had one and it was a really nice bike and if I didn't have KTM I would hapily own one as a second bike

Oh the seat. Just how did they get it soooo wrong. Its been the one thing I’ve struggled with since buying mine last July. I started by levelling and reworking the OE seat. I then added a gel pad. Ive tried an air cushion amd a sheepie too. I’d aquired a dameged Touratech seat from a mate. Better, but still not right. I took it apart to repair the brocken post and have added a couple of layers of memory foam, but now I can’t get the cover back on. Whatever they make the base from is too hard for my electric stapler, plus the covers a bit short too. However, Saturdays long day into Wales was the most comfy Ive ever found, so I think I’m now happy with it. Just need to sort the cover out properly. Might run it over to Baldock to see if the guys there would fix it for me.
And after this summers holiday in the highlands the wife has admitted her seat also tips her forward, so I’ve used two of the larger buffers and fitted them under the front of the pillion pad, and used two large nuts as spacers and longer bolts to reattach it. Might get her out later to try ir.

Let us know if the pillion seat is an improvement. I've yet to take the other half out yet but I have no doubt whatsoever that she will give me feedback :p

Great bikes, had two, first one I wrote off on the way back home from collecting her from a private sale but went straight out and bought a brand new one with the insurance payout, loved it.
One tip I’d give is have some dummy keys cut for the panniers as they were known to have stiff locks therefore liable to bend the ignition key which can be expensive to replace and re-code.

I just removed the appropriate rear aeat rubbers and it rattles around now. May have to find some of those half mount rubbers. Enjoying the bike, and love the weight as it reminds me of the GS. They're a good looking bike. Whatever tbe screen is, may be a Yamaha Touring, works perfectly and l've been riding around with visor up 90%. of the time, excellent!

The rubbers are available from Yamaha and you have to drill a hole in the support on the bike to fit a rubber which will stop it rattling about.

They are heavy for sure but like you, I like that feeling in a bike.

I've had mine 6 years and it's never let me down, I did struggle to get the seat right, in the end a used Touratech one came up, I changed the bumpers for the short ones, I also fitted a cheap copy mesh cover designed for a GS, it's all day comfy now, rode from Glasgow to Swansea only stopping for fuel.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

The rubbers are available from Yamaha and you have to drill a hole in the support on the bike to fit a rubber which will stop it rattling about.

They are heavy for sure but like you, I like that feeling in a bike.

Ordered! Loads of older Yamahas use the shorter ones.

Back
Top Bottom