2006 f650gs dakar after oil change, oil tank empty !!

stener

Reaction score
Hello. This bike is new to me, it was sitting not being used for 7-9 months. I've changed the anti freeze, installed new chain and sprockets, new water pump. It has 15,000km on it. when I drained the oil there was at least 3 ltrs that came out. I installed new oil filter and added 2ltrs oil ,planning to add the remaining 0.3 ltrs after warming it up and checking dip stick. After 15 min warm up I turned it off, let sit for 2-3 min then checked dip stick, not a drop of oil , a bit alarming.

I realize it's a dry sump but this still seems wrong. any input would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

As long as the Oil lamp illuminates when you switch on and goes out when you start the engine it should be fine

If you know you have 2 litres in add the 0.3 and see where you get to, the tank is not that big to start with ??

I suspect You need to drive it Until it is properly up to Working temperature

Then when you come back in park up on centre stand and "Carefully" Cycle it through the gears and idle for 10 seconds then switch of and wait 10 plus seconds before checking

It's been a while, but IIRC, most of the oil is in the frame and tank up the left hand side of where the petrol tank is on other bikes. The interesting part is that if overfilled, it will spit the rest of it into the airbox (right side of the afore mentioned tank). There is also a quirk on how to measure it, but I have now forgotten (side/centre stand). It really doesn't like overfilling , so never put more than the total capacity in. As with most bikes, the total capacity is different when you are changing the filter so there will be two numbers. HTH.

Back
Top Bottom