USA trip north by northwest - Bike hire

uncle balders

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
After some advice about bike hire from Seattle and suggestions for places to visit during a 15/16 trip routes around Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana. Have looked at Eagle Rider and interested in their Eagle Share option - anyone had experience? Looking at going from late June 2023.Any help greatly appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know much about Eaglerider but I can certainly give you some pointers of where to visit.

The Pacific North West is a superb place to ride so it depends on how many miles and how much time you want to spend in the saddle per day

Huge thanks! Happy to cover 250 + miles a day and be in the saddle for big chunks of time. Looking at hiring a Harley which will be different but seems the obvious choice!

Did a trip by car, just before the world paused, from Seattle down through Portland towards California. In the Washington/Oregon area we visited the Aircraft museum at McMinnville SW of Portland. (Includes the Howard Hughes “Spruce Goose”), and Mount St. Helens. Both excellent. Your interests may differ!
Can’t offer anything for Idaho or Montana.

Did a “road trip” a couple of years ago with friends from Vancouver, down the west coast through Seattle, Portland etc. Then back up to Van

Don’t remember any toll roads at all

Plenty to do down that way, the Boeing factory is worth a visit

No tolls on I-5, the only toll I ever encountered while riding in the states was a bridge toll near Sacramento . Riding in Idaho and Montana varies a lot from very scenic to very desolate. Some crackin roads with no traffic. You will have an automatic in riding a Harley as that is the natural choice of many you will encounter on your trip. My experience having ridden in the states extensively are the vast majority of fellow bikers you will encounter are very friendly and helpful. Have a great trip and report back please, ride safe,

if you're looking to rent bikes then Motorquest is a good option. https://www.motoquest.com/
I have bad experiences with Eagle riders on price, Service and general attention to Customers. Problem is they have grown too big in my mind.
Regards trips, sure you can buy an all in package with back up transport for your luggage but one thing about US is its pretty easy to arrange it all yourself if you have the time and the interest. Hotels and easy to find, roads and distances are generally good and you can cover a lot more in a day than in UK or Europe. There's plenty of info on the internet and through the members here to get you started.

Have sorted same bike hire, accommodation, insurances and flights based on a well known companies itinerary and has come out £1500 cheaper.
Only pain is getting a vehicle registration for Glacier National Park which is not a disaster ~ will try and get one the day before.

Return trip starting and finishing at Seattle completed. 2750 miles over 14 biking days. Great experience and can recommend Washington (state), Idaho, Wyoming, and Montana . Booked everything (flights/accommodation etc) myself without problems and used Eagle Rider who were good to deal with - they sorted bike insurance as part of the package. Happy to share advice and tips with anyone planning on doing something similar!

I am out in the USA in October and have rented an R1250GS via https://www.riders-share.com - the first hire is quite heavily discounted which made it very affordable. I'll be doing a loop from Phoenix, AZ to San Diego, Los Angeles and then Las Vegas.

If anyone has as hints/tips I'd be grateful, it'll be my first time riding in the USA. I have my 1949 sorted.

Thanks, Mark.

What about riding north Arizona and southern Utah?

Thanks for the reply. I decided to visit some friends whilst over, so I'm heading to San Diego via Cathedral City, then up to Los Angeles, then Santa Barbara before heading back to Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon. Cheers, Mark.

You going to Palm Springs or Joshua Tree NP while you’re in LA area? Pappy & Harriets is a great biker bar near 29 Palms (which is also kind of a funky town to check out). Also, riding across Death Valley this time of year is good. Check roads before you go to make sure you know what’s open. They had some flood closures but I think a lot is back open again. Panamint Springs has a funky hotel you can stay at with hot springs nearby. Furnace Creek Ranch is more spendy but nice. And the Inn there is top notch but pricey. Otherwise you can stay in Beatty in NV on the other side of DV.
Re Grand Canyon, from LV you can head North East up through Zion and Bryce Canyon, then loop around and catch the North Rim of the Grand Canyon (much less visited), then turn it into a big loop and work your way back down to the South Rim via Moab and Canyonlands NP.
Lots to see there. If you plan on hitting more than a couple of national parks you may want to consider buying a national park annual pass for USD80 - less expensive than paying entry fees if you visit several parks.
Love that part of the country and have toured a lot of it. Enjoy!

You going to Palm Springs or Joshua Tree NP while you’re in LA area? Pappy & Harriets is a great biker bar near 29 Palms (which is also kind of a funky town to check out). Also, riding across Death Valley this time of year is good. Check roads before you go to make sure you know what’s open. They had some flood closures but I think a lot is back open again. Panamint Springs has a funky hotel you can stay at with hot springs nearby. Furnace Creek Ranch is more spendy but nice. And the Inn there is top notch but pricey. Otherwise you can stay in Beatty in NV on the other side of DV.
Re Grand Canyon, from LV you can head North East up through Zion and Bryce Canyon, then loop around and catch the North Rim of the Grand Canyon (much less visited), then turn it into a big loop and work your way back down to the South Rim via Moab and Canyonlands NP.
Lots to see there. If you plan on hitting more than a couple of national parks you may want to consider buying a national park annual pass for USD80 - less expensive than paying entry fees if you visit several parks.
Love that part of the country and have toured a lot of it. Enjoy!
Thanks for the info, that's really useful. I'm staying in Cathedral City one evening, so I can check out Pappy & Harriets. I also really appreciate the info about the Grand Canyon area - I'd had already planned to visit Bright Angel Point, but I'll hopefully have a bit of time at that end of the trip to consider Zion/Bryce Canyon.

Cheers, Mark.

Back
Top Bottom