Cali' 3 brake woes

ELIMINATOR

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Thought I’d give the bike a treat and change the brake fluid.

Now the left hand linked disc won’t seal on the nipple.

Removed the caliper, now suspended on the handlebars.

Sealing face on nipple looks a bit rough. I work in QC, in a company that makes prosthetic legs. The sealing faces on some of our components mimics that of the caliper / nipple sealing surfaces, so I know what I’m looking for.

But, the sealing face in the caliper has a slight nick in it :unamused:

The angles between the two , are I’m “fairly” sure are not the same angle.

I could take the caliper to work and “Plastiform” the thread and sealing face to make sure.
Plastiform is a twin pack fluid that flows easily and takes the form of the component that it is used on. Once it’s set, it is extracted. It’s flexible enough to remove without damaging the form which needs to be inspected. Then measure the angle on our Starret VMM. ( visual measuring machine)

Then attempt to recut the seat by hand, this has successfully been done at work.

Repair kits are on EBAY.:beerjug: £7.99

Last edited:
That's odd. :confused:

Of all the things a Guzzi can come up with - i've never heard of that before.

Nipple fit: You say "The angles between the two , are I’m “fairly” sure are not the same angle."

is it possible that an incorrect nipple was used by previous owner and its angle is not a match?

Good luck.
~~

I've bled them before... 9 years ago!

Put some PTFE tape around the threads, seems to have cured it.

I don't think they're meant to be the same angle. I f they were, there is a large surface area to make contact with, that can make sealing difficult.

I work in a business that makes prosthetics, lots of hydraulic stuff, angles are not the same.

Last edited:
You have to have a release angle, or they dont come apart.

Cant you do a reverse projection with the Starret?

Pretty sure we used to do internal stuff like that

We use shadowgraph machines to do it

Santa, Plastiform is very similar to the mould product that dentists use, but free flowing.

One and only, if it leaks again, I'll give it a whack with a ball bearing.

Back
Top Bottom