What riding mode do you mostly use? What about around the city? Is Dynamic unsafe?

Mostly:
Road mode throttle.
Dynamic suspension
Auto pre-load

Pretty much the opposite - dynamic throttle and road suspension. I find the dynamic suspension too harsh.

Auto pre-load. Being a short-arse with dodgy knees means seat on high and being careful when the wife gets off the back.

A mate and I have just ridden 3000 miles around Spain, Portugal and France. We both ride 19 reg r1250gs te bikes. I ride on dynamic setting, he uses road mode. He constantly had 40 - 50 km greater tank range than me. We both wondered why and could only think that as I’m taller than he, I was somewhat less aerodynamic and the increased drag was affecting my fuel consumption. Note to self: better not to ride in drag.
This thread prompts me to think that maybe the dynamic mode has a bearing on the variance in fuel consumption betwixt my mate and me.
Alan R

And it took you 3000 miles to work that out, aint much gets past you is there:D

I thought engine modes just affected performance.

I didn’t realise it worked on the suspension as well.

You learn something every day.

Now I’ll need to try it out.

I don’t think it does. Suspension modes (road/dynamic) is independent of the engine modes (also called road/dynamic + rain/enduro + dynamicpro/enduropro) for confusion…

I think the unthinkable, as in reading the Riders Manual, chapter 'Engineerings details, Riding Mode, will provide all the answers.

Short version: The Mode settings do affect throttle response, ABS, ASC and suspension settings.

For all modes, ASC and ABS are pre-detirmined, riders option to Deactivate it.
Throttle response is not user changeable.
Suspension modes are preselected different for different modes, but here, the rider have the option of changing the preset setting between Hard, Normal or Soft.

And it took you 3000 miles to work that out, aint much gets past you is there:D
It was an issue of mild curiosity rather than as is common on this site, a refer to dealer to reject the bike crisis. We both ride at the same pace and hadn’t compared fueling modes until this thread prompted me to ask him. I mentioned it here for the mild curiosity of others. Thank you for taking the time to belittle my observations.
Alan R

Suspension modes are preselected different for different modes, but here, the rider have the option of changing the preset setting between Hard, Normal or Soft.

My 2019 GSA TE only displays 'Road' or 'Dynamic', no sign of a 'Hard', 'Normal' or 'Soft' damping setting like the old Hexheads. Am I missing something ?
Preload is either 'Auto' or 'Low' with the engine running.

It was an issue of mild curiosity rather than as is common on this site, a refer to dealer to reject the bike crisis. We both ride at the same pace and hadn’t compared fueling modes until this thread prompted me to ask him. I mentioned it here for the mild curiosity of others. Thank you for taking the time to belittle my observations.
Alan R

My pleasure anything else i can help you with?

If you select Dynamic Riding Mode (with the mode button) you, by default, get Dynamic damping and dynamic throttle. If you select Road Riding mode then you get Road throttle and Road damping BUT you can override this using the 'Spring' button on the left switchgear. Read the Manual for more info :)

I am of course referring to the superior 1250GS TE 2021 model.

I've always used Dynamic Pro. I have tried Road mode and found it painfully slow.

Not sure where I got this from but worth a glance

Attachments

• BCC90E5B-FF6E-425B-A7A7-63310D14758D.jpeg
    BCC90E5B-FF6E-425B-A7A7-63310D14758D.jpeg
    87.3 KB · Views: 485
I use Road most of the time, Dynamic sometimes if it's a nice twisty road with smooth tarmac, Rain if it's a bit slippery (e.g. rain after a long dry period), Enduro when off tarmac.

I felt safer filtering, because I had more torque and so could get out of danger quicker. The brakes felt sharper too, I suspect that on Dynamic, there's more linked braking to the rear brakes.

You get the same torque and power in every mode, it's just that the throttle is more sensitive in Dynamic than Road, and less sensitive in Rain. I.e. you have to twist the throttle a bit further to get the same effect, but ultimately when you're at full throttle in any mode it's the same. There is nothing in the manual about any changes to braking other than when ABS cuts in, and I have never thought there is more braking in Dynamic mode.

Road mainly, rain if it feeling a bit slippery.
Flick between road and dynamic on the suspension depending on the road and surface.

My 2019 GSA TE only displays 'Road' or 'Dynamic', no sign of a 'Hard', 'Normal' or 'Soft' damping setting like the old Hexheads. Am I missing something ?
Preload is either 'Auto' or 'Low' with the engine running.

By hitting the lower part of the ABS button, the menu for damping options should pop up...

8d1a6702dea82f380ee6271ec2e04bea.jpg

I press that combined ABS/ESA button downwards which brings up two menu boxes as expected:

Damping can be adjusted between “Road” and “Dynamic” modes with a short press down.
Preload can be set to "Low", "High" or "Auto" with the engine running in neutral via press and hold down.

Nothing about Soft, Medium or Hard settings ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom