What riding mode do you mostly use? What about around the city? Is Dynamic unsafe?

Nothing about Soft, Medium or Hard settings ??

Only on the older 1200 series. New D-ESA v2 as on the 1250 has the Dynamic/Road option only - both are auto-adapting within their range. The older D-ESA v1 as on the 1200LCs had fixed rates of the soft/medium/hard settings.

Only on the older 1200 series. New D-ESA v2 as on the 1250 has the Dynamic/Road option only - both are auto-adapting within their range. The older D-ESA v1 as on the 1200LCs had fixed rates of the soft/medium/hard settings.

Thanks for the reply, that is what I assumed was the case rather than some hidden menu features I hadn't found that weren't covered in the riders manual. :thumb2

Yours is a later model that is "improved" by only having two modes...

And it is. One of the best things about D-ESA v2 on the 1250 is that it always keeps the attitude of the bike on its nose under load, minimising wallow/boating effect you'd have on the previous 1200 when load over the rear was more than optimal. For fast road riding on undulating surfaces, this is a noticeable improvement on my 1250GS over previous 1200 (a MY17 TB).

Road or dynamic power, though to be honest can really tell much of a difference, both with dynamic suspension as the bike pogos like a crf300l in road mode.

Road or dynamic power, though to be honest can really tell much of a difference, both with dynamic suspension as the bike pogos like a crf300l in road mode.

Glad to see its not just mine that Pogos in road mode.

Dealer says my suspension is normal but I'm not keen on the feel in road mode compared to dynamic.

BMW Dynamic ESA Explained, Plus... Damping Modes, Riding Modes and 6 axis IMU

This might help! Part 2 interesting as well. Riding modes explained coming up soon. Certainly helped me.

<iframe width="1252" height="704" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qu11HlLb0Pw" title="BMW Dynamic ESA Explained, Damping Modes, Riding Modes and DDC, how do they work..." frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

From when I bought my K50 R1200GS in mid-2014 until it went into a shipping container in 2018, I used it as a daily commuter and weekend breakfast runner. I used Road mode for commuting, and Dynamic on Sundays.

Now, my life circumstances have changed completely. I don't commute, only use the bike on weekends, and I have to ride 3 Km from home before I even reach a tarred road.
I only ride on high-speed road tyres, so I use Enduro mode offroad, and Dynamic on the road.

I've not read all the comments so forgive me for that. But my opinion for what it's worth.

Use all the modes. Ignore the old school here that say they rode with none back in the day. We must embrace modern tech because it's awesome and increases our safety ten fold.

Personally I use Road mode for work or general bimbling about town. I switch to dynamic on the Twisties and for 'fun' rides because it's defo more snappy and stiff than Road mode and gives what is a lump of a bike a slightly more sporty feel. Rain and Enduro speak for themselves - rain when whet, Enduro when off tarmac. The only mode I don't use is Eco. If economy worried me I probably would have bought a scooter!!

Use all the modes and get used to them and how they change the feel and handling of the bike. You'll thank yourself for it.

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

The last part of the thread title intrigues me. 'Is Dynamic unsafe?'

Is that question being asked philosophically or objectively?
Why did you buy a bike? For riding, or for bragging rights?
Do you choose to put down your own definition of acceptable risk, and embrace it, or are you risk-averse?
If the latter, and you feel 'unsafe' on a 125 BHP or 134 BHP motorcycle with snappy throttle response, wasn't it a bad idea to buy it in the first place?
If you're worried about Dynamic mode being 'unsafe', just don't use it.

Dan Walsh wrote a line that has always stayed with me: 'The Easy Riders and Outlaws have been replaced by In-law riders and Tax lawyers.'

An interesting video from 'Thats just the way it is ' on u tube about the various mode both throttle and suspension.

An interesting video from 'Thats just the way it is ' on u tube about the various mode both throttle and suspension.

I've watched the second video where he states that the different Riding Mode selections also have an effect on the damping characteristics beyond the simple ECO/RAIN/ROAD preselect ROAD damping and DYNAMIC/PRO preselect DYNAMIC damping.

He says that, for example, RAIN + ROAD gives softer suspension response than DYNAMIC + ROAD. This isn't mentioned anywhere in the manual that I can find.

So I went out and experimented today, and I can't detect any difference - i.e. ROAD damping feels the same whatever Riding Mode is selected. So even if he's right, the effect must be very subtle.

OP here. I was asking regarding if Dynamic is safe just because the manual says that traction control and ABS is tuned down on Dynamic.

OP here. I was asking regarding if Dynamic is safe just because the manual says that traction control and ABS is tuned down on Dynamic.

With all due respect: OP, what do you think the answer to your question is?

- A majority of bikes on the roads are still without ABS as well as ASC.
- BMW are selling bikes to the US, where there are more lawyers than bikes...
- Have OP or someone you he knows experienced anything that may imply that Dynamic mode is threatening the safety of the bike?
- A statement that the effect of a function is turned down does not mean that it is turned off, but rathet that it is different compared to the other modes..

The last part of the thread title intrigues me. 'Is Dynamic unsafe?'

That was the funniest part of it all. :D
I can imagine how scary it would be to have to overtake a car doing 60, sitting on a 130bhp motorbike set to Dynamic.
Oh the humanity :D

Dan Walsh wrote a line that has always stayed with me: 'The Easy Riders and Outlaws have been replaced by In-law riders and Tax lawyers.'

:D

Dynamic Pro 100% - The throttle goes both ways.

Exactly.....

Last year whilst riding around Wales I found myself struggling in some corners. We weren't hanging about and were getting a bit of a wiggle on, it was only when i noticed i was in Road mode and changed to Dynamic Pro that everything started to come together... No more issues with cornering and the smile was back on my face...

I am coming back to a gsa 1250 very soon from a Yamaha MT10 (do not ask I just wanted to treat the bad boy in me:D)

Any way I have never ridden in any other mode than 1 for power and traction control turned down etc etc. no electronic suspension to change on the fly

The throttle is your traction control, your speed and awarness are your rain modes.

I had a 07 1200 gsa before that with zero controles or suspension settings on the fly and the above worked very well then too.

Or is that just too old school :nenau

I did use rain mode the other day in a storm and it certainly softened the biked and throttle response . never used it before but quite good

Back
Top Bottom