What riding mode do you mostly use? What about around the city? Is Dynamic unsafe?

Scarfall

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have had a 2015 R1200GS for a year and I mostly ride on Road mode. My work commute is about 80 miles, half on the motorway, half on London's busiest roads, and I rely on filtering for the whole commute.

I only put Dynamic mode when I am late for work. The reasons I don't ride in Dynamic all the time is because of the increased fuel consumption, and the attenuated traction control and ABS. Also, because I'm not used to it, when I do turn it on, it feels like a completely different bike that never fails to put a smile on my face.

Today I was late for work, and so I rode in Dynamic mode. It made me wonder why I don't ride like this all the time. I felt safer filtering, because I had more torque and so could get out of danger quicker. The brakes felt sharper too, I suspect that on Dynamic, there's more linked braking to the rear brakes.

It made me wonder if Dynamic mode is intrinsically unsafe though due to the muted traction control and ABS. Now that I think about it, I don't remember ever feeling like ABS or traction controlled have stepped in riding a year on Road mode, but I like the peace of mind in knowing it's there ready to step in.

What riding modes do you guys use most of the time? What about when you're in urban environments? Do you worry about the safety features being turned down in the fun mode?

Pick one and stick to it.

Last thing that you need in any emergency situation is a sluggish ‘rain’ mode when you are expecting dynamic.

Road 90% of the time,
and rain for the 10% its raining

I tried dynaprod once, didn't notice anything different to road tbh

Road 90% of the time,
and rain for the 10% its raining

I tried dynaprod once, didn't notice anything different to road tbh

dynaprod can be set to be far more ‘snappy’, but I found it makes me slower as I find myself fighting the bike rather than flowing with it.

You're overthinking it from the sounds of it. We rode motorbikes without any modes, or electronic aids, for many years! None of the modes are dangerous

On road: Dynamic Pro
Off road: Enduro Pro

In both modes, I tailored the settings and have just left them in those positions. All other adjustments to traction control are modulated by my wrist!

I did some experimenting when away this year on my 1250 , the ECO mode is a wonderful thing as once engaged it gives the bike the power characteristics of a 650 twin and yet uses exactly the same amount of fuel as when the bike is in road mode

Dynamic Pro mode for me has the best throttle response, but I will use rain mode if I'm knackered or if it's pouring..

A mate and I have just ridden 3000 miles around Spain, Portugal and France. We both ride 19 reg r1250gs te bikes. I ride on dynamic setting, he uses road mode. He constantly had 40 - 50 km greater tank range than me. We both wondered why and could only think that as I’m taller than he, I was somewhat less aerodynamic and the increased drag was affecting my fuel consumption. Note to self: better not to ride in drag.
This thread prompts me to think that maybe the dynamic mode has a bearing on the variance in fuel consumption betwixt my mate and me.
Alan R

90% of the time in road. The rest dynamic if the need arises to crack on a bit.

Never used rain or eco though.

Dynamic all the time for me, I’ve run that almost since I bought it.

I really need to run road for a bit to see if it makes much of a difference but I can’t see the point in limiting performance.

Dynamic all the time for me, I’ve run that almost since I bought it.

I really need to run road for a bit to see if it makes much of a difference but I can’t see the point in limiting performance.

I found the performance difference is negligible but the softer suspension in road is much more pleasant and an excellent set-up for general riding as well.

If I need performance, I grab the keys to my S1000RR! :)

I found the performance difference is negligible but the softer suspension in road is much more pleasant and an excellent set-up for general riding as well.

If I need performance, I grab the keys to my S1000RR! :)

i agree with this, in particular the softer suspension, i used to just leave in dynamic for years but now find it much more comfortable in road

Road mode. Didn't really like Dynamic mode as it did not seem to be a linear/reactive to what i wanted the throttle to do. Never used rain mode.

Full Fat, full time.

Dynamic Pro all day long where ever I go. I wouldn't overthink it TBH, just ride the bloody thing :thumb

Dynamic if it’s dry, rain mode if it’s wet, rode mode if the misses is on the back to give a softer more comfy ride

When I remember that is……

Back
Top Bottom