Perceived change in engine braking

Deleted account 230327001

Reaction score
2010 TU 1200 GSA 45k miles ish

Riding back from work today and very much noticed a change, a significant reduction, in engine braking from previous rides.

I commute on the bike a few times a week and even do the odd track day (knee down, hammering it - great fun), but this is the first time I thought something wasn’t quite the same.

It’s worth noting that the bike used to bang and pop on deceleration, but it seems to have stopped doing that in the last couple of rides. On its last MOT the mechanic said it was blowing slightly out of the exhaust manifold.

Thanks in advance if anyone can offer why this might be the case!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s worth noting that the bike used to bang and pop on deceleration, but it seems to have stopped doing that in the last couple of rides. On its last MOT the mechanic said it was blowing slightly out of the exhaust manifold.

On my 2008 if the baffle is out of the Akra it will pop and bang on the over run but much more civilised when it's in. Can't say I noticed difference in engine braking though.

When you say "trackday" I think clutch. Maybe getting tired.

Yeh this has an akrapovic full system also but has the baffle in and I’ve never removed it.

The clutch doesn’t slip any perceptible amount and otherwise it runs/rides/stops as it should…

is it running the same?

throttle cable holding things open or popped a valve ?

Check your throttle cable I had this on my 1150 and this was the cause, they'd frayed inside the outer. New cables and all was well.

The idle has started ‘hunting’ at idle. Seems to remain a bit even when warm. Possibly has coincided with the engine braking/popping saga.

I’ll check throttle cable! Recently refitted barkbuster muffs for winter riding but I don’t think they are fouling anything.

If it’s hunting at idle, check the TPS. That may also explain the lack of popping and banging. Had a TPS go twice- hunting was the first indication each time.

Yes check the TPS, it sounds like the electronics doesn't know that the throttle is closed.

I would also say tps. When mine was failing lack of engine breaking was one of the symptoms.

Thanks for the replies. I’ll check the tps. No fault codes on my gs911. I’ll dig out the Haynes manual.

If it's TPS you won't get a fault code. You can get a Hella one for not much , worth having as a spare anyway. £30 quid ish from memory.

When you say "trackday" I think clutch. Maybe getting tired.

I don't think trackdays will affect the clutch at all (done a few on my GSA as well). London riding will. A lot.

TPS might be.
My 2007 GSA pops a bit generally, but really goes to town if I keep the throttle slightly opened (of course). Pretty loud pops and bangs. That's what's probably happening on your bike.

There was no fault code when my tps was failing. On your gs911 you need to get real time data for only the tps. Zoom the sampling and whatever else to max and zoom in on the graph as you open and close the throttle. I saw just tiny little blips appearing at random just off tickover. I assume this was dirt or something in the tps throwing a spurious electronic signal that was enough to unsettle the bike. Hella one from an eBay seller was £25ish at the time. Plug and play. 10minute job.

I've just done a TPS on my bike it made no impact on engine braking at all (and nor should it ever) - it did give inconsistent low speed running glitches when accelerating

but these bikes drop valves - that would give a huge change in engine braking and before it self destructs and takes the head and piston out, a simple compression test will give a great insight as to the state of mechanical components

the diagnostic capability on the engine side is a joke and almost not worth having so don't expect many clues from that

Back
Top Bottom