Time to travel again...

Rob asks me if I’d like a meal before top of descent - clearly some First passengers don’t, so he’s able to bring me a super meal and a G&T (Tanqueray or Aviation? - oh, Aviation please :) ). Metal cutlery, porcelain dishes, and a crystal glass for the G&T. How the other half live.
I travelled to the US last week, but couldn't quite bring myself to try the Aviation as I figured that it would be BA's equivalent of tesco Value.

I settled on Gordons.

I travelled to the US last week, but couldn't quite bring myself to try the Aviation as I figured that it would be BA's equivalent of tesco Value.

I settled on Gordons.

You muppet .
It’s streets ahead of Gordon’s and owned by the actor Ryan Reynolds.

7c29591d4278fd8d23d4b7afb710f6d9.jpg

I think BA only have it onboard as the name is topical .

Had a large one yesterday whilst watching the film Belfast heading to Toronto .

Tuesday 30th August 2022

It has been three years since I flew across the Atlantic.

Let’s put that right, eh?

with my only screwup being forgetting to charge the half dozen spare camera batteries I’m taking. I’m also taking five spare cameras (best not to ask).

so another mikeo picfest then :D

already - thanks mike

looking at NC road trip from MA in november hopefully - also i have the booster thing going on - want to get one as the last one was january but due to medical and not knowing far enuff in advance what theyre gonna do (theyve said no vaccines cos itll mess with their meds) it is a faff so i understand

You muppet .

Shame you didn't post this earlier, as I could have sampled one this morning.

:blast

1st September 2022

Rabbits

A great night's sleep - turned in at about 2200 (after a generous Cuban Rum and Mexican Coke*) and went out like a light.

Adv%20Four-X3.jpg

I woke at 0745 and honestly don't feel any jet lag at all. I learned yesterday that - unlike every other wide bodied jet - the 787 does not use bleed air for cabin pressure, and that the cabin altitude doesn't go above 6000'. I think I'll be choosing to fly 787 whenever I get the choice from now on :thumb2

Adv%20One-X3.jpg

I quickly put some clothes on and join Jorge in the garage. With the current temperatures and humidity, first thing in the morning is the only civilised time to work on the bike (although today will prove to be much cooler and more pleasant).

Adv%20Three-X3.jpg

Jorge assures me this is solely for use behind his bicycle...
lol8.gif

So - first job of the day - change the front brake pads. This is straightforward and is achieved without removing anything other than the calipers, and undoing the lower bolt on the front mudguard. The pins and spring clips are dirty, but clean with a wipe from a cloth - confirming Jorge's suspicion that there has been oil contamination from the fork oil seals failing. The underside of the front mudguard is also covered in oily dirt.

Garage%20Fourteen-X3.jpg

We soon have the new pads in place, everything cleaned up, and bolted back onto the bike. Jorge takes the bike for a short test ride and declares the braking improved.

IMG_4770-X3.jpg

Regular readers may remember that I lost the headlamp guard in Utah a few years ago. I got a replacement, which I notice Jorge has beefed up with some locking wire to lessen the chances of a repeat perfomance.

We drive over to the BMW dealer again, and pay an extortionate price for a pair of fork seals and scrapers.

IMG_4763-X3.jpg

Catherine - this bike would be perfect for you...
cool_shades.gif

IMG_4764-X3.jpg

Act Two - fork seals. Unlike bikes with a conventional suspension, BMW Telelever bikes do not rely on the forks to provide damping. This is the reason you can brake hard without any nose-dive. The forks are really just sliding tubes connecting everything together. Nevertheless, just like conventional forks, they have oil within them, and seals to keep it there.

IMG_4773-X3.jpg

To change the seals, you pop the rubber dust cap off, revealing this 14mm nut. On the fork leg below the yoke, are flats that are about 22mm (we used an adjustable spanner), to allow you to get the nut undone.

IMG_4774-X3.jpg

Bloody hell were they tight...
eek7.gif

I had to use a steel pipe over the handle of the adjustable spanner whilst Jorge used a long handled socket to undo them. It turns out they are designed to be tightened to 45Nm - but these were way over that...
bluduh.gif

IMG_4775-X3.jpg

OK - time to use the special tool (AKA the Ice Axe) to lever the old scrapers out; then a screwdriver to remove the star clip and finally the ice axe again to get the seal out.

IMG_4777-X3.jpg

We moisten the new seals...

IMG_4776-X3.jpg

...and scrapers with a little fork oil before replacing them, using a suitably sized socket to get the seals home. You know when they are in the right place, because the groove where the star spring clip fits is visible...

IMG_4790-X3.jpg

Aster keeps watch from a distance...

IMG_4778-XL.jpg

OK - all fitted - time to re-insert the fork legs and bolt them back up. We tighten the nuts to the exact torque...
cool_shades.gif

Act Three - fuel tank QDs.

IMG_4791-X3.jpg

The other day, whilst removing the tank, Jorge had one of the cross pipe QD links break. They were the old BMW plastic ones and had come to the end of their life. I think he had a couple of gallons of fuel spill on the garage floor...
yikes.gif

I arrange to get some Gucci stainless steel connectors sent to him from Beemer Boneyard - which cost me my left kidney
bluduh.gif

So, to make life a lot easier, I got two right angle connector pairs, so that you can leave the cross pipe on the bike when taking the tank off. It's the same setup I have on my bike and works really well. The only snags are :

IMG_4792-X3.jpg

The proximity of the joints to the tank and telelever. I encourage Jorge to use crimp-on connecters (like the OEM ones), and then cover the metalwork with either self-amalgamating tape or heatshrink, to further reduce the chances of damage. Also to get the exact right length for the crosspipe, to minimise movement.

IMG_4793-X3.jpg

After a little trial and error, we reach the perfect set up, crimp all the connectors, and wind self amalgamating tape around the crimps. We then refit the tank, giving it a good clean before fitting the 'bra' that the tank bag zips onto...

IMG_4798-X3.jpg

Jorge then finishes up by using the self amalgamating tape to cover some splits in the handgrips (which are exposing the elements of the heated grips)...

IMG_4802-X3.jpg

Then declares the work complete
clear.png

He will take it to work in the morning for a shakedown ride...
ricky.gif

*Mexican Coke is made with cane sugar, rather than high-fructose corn syrup. It tastes like Coke did when you were a child...
cool_shades.gif

Adv%20Five-L.jpg

You muppet .

What did you reckon to Belfast? (I know you would’ve enjoyed the gin) :D

What did you reckon to Belfast? (I know you would’ve enjoyed the gin) :D

Loved it !!

Also finished watching Dog , which I’d started at home with wife until she lost interest . Thought that was good too .
I’m driving tonight so no such luck .

2nd September 2022

After finishing the work on the bike yesterday, I got showered and changed whilst Jorge got to work in the kitchen, producing a fantastic meal...

IMG_4811-L.jpg

...including Spanish Tortilla...

Friday%20Nine-X3.jpg

...spicy chicken thighs and a delicious salad
DukeGirl.gif

Tom, one of Jorge's neighbours, comes over...

IMG_4814-X3.jpg

...and we chat over cold drinks - mine being freshly made lemonade...

Friday%20Eleven-X3.jpg

...until Tom's daughter Sy arrives, fresh from her High School soccer game, and we all sit down to a spendid meal...

The level of banter flying over the table during and after the meal kept me in stitches.

Friday%20Six%20-X3.jpg

As soon as the meal was over, Sy got her back pack out and started doing her maths homework. I'm amazed (and not a little impressed) that she can concentrate with all the chatter going on - she tells me that, living with Tom, she's used to it...
lol8.gif

Tom and Sy depart at about 2030. Sy has another soccer match tomorrow (the third day running - in this heat
eek7.gif
)...

Jorge and I go inside for dessert...

Friday%20Four-X3.jpg

Cannabis is completely legal in Oregon, and these gummies are designed to give you a 'high' without making you sleepy...

Friday%20Three-X3.jpg

Now, I'm 65 years old - and have never used recreational drugs before (my career path precluded it), so I have a gummy and am curious to see what the results are. Jorge takes one at the same time and we sit down in front of the TV to watch Amazon's new "Rings of Power" series, which seems vaguely appropriate in the circumstances...:D

I wish I could reveal some magical experience for my first try, but save for a vague feeling of detachment, it seemed to have little effect. I was aware that I wouldn't drive whilst feeling like this, but otherwise I seemed to be OK.

I turn in at around 2200 (C+90m) and go out like a light (so much for not inducing drowsiness :D) - I sleep well and wake just after 0800...

IMG_4830-X3.jpg

...where I am treated to the millenial staples of a large latté...

Friday%20One-X3.jpg

...and avocado toast
DukeGirl.gif

Jorge leaves for work (riding the bike for a shakedown ride) and I start today's journal...

Jorge comes back at about noon, reporting that the bike feels good, but that he's still going to run a flapper wheel over the discs to remove any residual glazing. He also suspects there may be a slight weep from the crossover pipe - we'll see what develops overnight.

IMG_4842-X3.jpg

We take another drive out to get some essentials - like draught olive oil - before we return home and Jorge makes...

Lunch%20One-X3.jpg

...nachos - awesome...
DukeGirl.gif

It's now 86F outside, and we switch on the AC and retreat indoors...

Two of Jorge's friends, JL and KA, come and visit for a Mukbang...

IMG_4849-L.jpg

...which is a Korean term for eating too much. In this case too much Korean fried chicken (the other KFC), potato salad and coleslaw. All aided by generous glasses of Cuban Rum (the bottle is not going to last long at this rate :D) and Mexican Coke.

Great folks - and a good end to a good day... :)

Saturday 3rd September 2022

For those of you wondering why I'm still in Portland - It's over three years since I met up with Jorge, and it's been nice spending time in one another's company.

Fear not, the plan is for me to be on the road first thing tomorrow...

We have (New) KFC and pizza for lunch...

Puncture%20Four-X3.jpg

...and Jorge suggests a number of routes I could take as I head out tomorrow.

With this goal in mind, we go and check the crosspipe on the fuel tank - and find there's a leak. The suspect is the pipe itself - brand new but not, it seems, good quality. We replace the line with some better stuff, replace one of the O-rings, which had somehow become nicked and then connect it up and leave it - we'll recheck in the morning. Assuming there's no leak, we'll wrap the metalwork in self-amalgamating tape and call the job a good one.

So - just the seat, airhawk and sheepskin to fit, and then she'll be ready to pack...

IMG_4805-X3.jpg

Great - hold on...

Puncture%20One-X3.jpg

Son-of-a-bitch! A nail crossways through the rear tyre...
becca.gif

Jorge makes a quick call to Dylan, at Cyclegear at Beaverton. Yes, they have a rear Tourance on the shelf, but they don't think they can fit it for us today, as they're pretty busy. Jorge explains that, if it can't be done today, my trip won't be able to start until Tuesday, as it's a Public Holiday weekend (Labour Day). They relent and say to bring the loose wheel over.

Jorge has the wheel off in double quick time and we head across Portland towards Beaverton...

Puncture%20Three-XL.jpg

What an extraordinarily ugly design - I think it's a Hayabusa...

IMG_4858-X3.jpg

We're soon at Cycle Gear and Josh has the tyre behind the counter ready. I pay the eye-watering tab (I'll be getting all the benefit from the new tyre after all :D) and we mooch around the shop waiting for the techs to do their magic...

IMG_4866-X3.jpg

Jorge and I get chatting to Jeff...

Puncture%20Ten-X3.jpg

...about what luggage he wants for his very smart looking KTM. I suggest he see if Al Jesse does anything for this model, as I have always been impressed by his products.

Puncture%20Six-X3.jpg

What's this? Done already? Awesome!
bounce.gif

IMG_4878-X3.jpg

Josh(left) and Dylan have done us proud...
thumb2.gif

Back home! Avoiding strange bamboo electric bicycles along the way...

Puncture%20Eight-X3.jpg

Jorge soon has the wheel refitted...

Puncture%20Five-X3.jpg

...and the rear caliper replaced. We check the fuel lines - dry as a bone. We'll still leave the taping until the morning, but the indications are good...

Jorge then uses a rotary sander to dress the front discs on the bike - it removed some dark material and hopefully this will be the last of the legacy of the leaking fork seals...

We adjust the tyre pressures to my favourite (36F42R) and I fit the seat, the airhawk and the sheepskin. As soon as the tumble drier has finished with my laundry I will start packing...

PS We had an interesting event happened in the early hours of this morning - hopefully I'll be able to post a report on it later...
cool_shades.gif

Nice one. All that food looks delicious.

What a lovely chilled out report!

Maybe it’s the little details, the meeting up with friends, old dog, simple food or just that it is reminiscent of the ways things used to be before all of the latest madness.

Sometimes we just need to eat apple pie!

Nice one Mike.

Fabulous, TY for taking the time. Of course, Aster is the star of the show IMO.
And what a nice friends you have. :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom