Time to travel again...

It wasn't punctured Mike, you should have just pulled it out. Got this in my rear tyre in Ireland, pulled it out and carried on :D

i-w3DBBw5-L.jpg

:beerjug:

It wasn't punctured Mike, you should have just pulled it out. Got this in my rear tyre in Ireland, pulled it out and carried on :D

i-w3DBBw5-L.jpg

:beerjug:

I know Micky, but the way luck has been running getting the bike prepped meant that replacing it made sense. Poor Jorge has been farting about servicing in his spare time for a few weeks, and every time he thinks it’s done something else crops up.
Just doing some last packing now - should be on the road around lunchtime. Only a three hour trip today - the next few days will be getting back into the swing of touring over here.
The homeless and meth problems have both got MUCH worse since I was last here.
Jorge gave me this to keep handy when in large towns… ��

IMG_4892-X3.jpg

Sunday 4th September 2022

The Artemis launch has been scrubbed and they are taking it back into the VAB at Cape Canaveral. Bummer...

Yesterday evening, over a meal of one of Jorge's superb salads - this time enhanced with spiced bratwurst
DukeGirl.gif

IMG_4893-X3.jpg

Jorge and I discussed security. We both have a pretty good feel for when things aren't right, but for the first time, Jorge suggests I disk-lock the bike when stopped for the night, and gives me this...

IMG_4892-X3.jpg

...as a self defence measure if approached by someone wishing me ill. The homeless problem has grown enormously since my last visit, and apparently the use of meth has exploded.

As usual, I will be avoiding large conurbations during my trip - but Jorge is not someone who cries wolf, so I take his advice to heart and put the pepper spray in an easily accessible position.

I sleep reasonably well - as ever, prior to the start of a holiday or journey, my mind keeps searching out things I might have forgotten. I get up late, around 0900, and resume the packing that I'd mostly completed yesterday afternoon and evening.

IMG_4902-X3.jpg

Suddenly, I'm finished. I express my gratitude to Jorge - both for all the hassle he has been through prepping the bike, and of course, for loaning it to me.

"Don't fucking wreck it Oughton"
lol8.gif

I take a pic of the mileage for the stats geeks...

IMG_4905-X3.jpg

Put on the rest of my kit and start off down the driveway. I'm very conscious that it has a new rear tyre that wil need scrubbing in*, but today is going to be hot and dry, so it shouldn't prove difficult.

IMG_0133-X3.jpg

It's just after noon on a glorious day - 85F with hardly a cloud in the sky. The vents in my jacket and helmet are fighting a losing battle with the temperature... :D

IMG_0134-X4.jpg

I have put this evening's motel address into Betty, and asked her to provide me with a 'winding route'. I start off on small suburban roads which take me on a meandering tour of southern Portland...

IMG_0135-X4.jpg

I am wearing sunglasses and using a dark visor - although in town I have the visor raised (except when taking a pic - I look like a superannuated hamster stuffed into a drainpipe - keeping the visor down at least gives my self image a fighting chance)...
lol8.gif

IMG_0137-X4.jpg

I climb up into some very nice neighbourhoods - this is Skyland Drive. These guys travel First Class everywhere I expect... :D

IMG_0140-X4.jpg

Betty soon has me out of town and following some lovely farm roads, heading broadly in the direction of Corvallis...

IMG_0143-X4.jpg

This part of Oregon grows all types of fruit, and lots of ornamental trees and shrubs...

IMG_0146-X4.jpg

Our first barn of the trip - huzzah! :D

IMG_0148-X4.jpg

The roads are almost empty - which is great (especially as they will also prove to be empty of members of Oregon's Law Enforcement community).
cool_shades.gif

IMG_0151-X4.jpg

Bloody power and phone lines. Anywhere you want to take a pic, some lumbering engineer has come along before you and destroyed the view with a damn great loop of cable...
bluduh.gif

IMG_0155-X4.jpg

Betty takes me through some gorgeous roads. I'm very conscious of not having ridden here for three years or so, and not ridden any distance in the UK in the same timeframe. I feel rusty as hell and compensate for this by staying slow, smooth and gradually getting back into the groove of riding.

IMG_0156-X4.jpg

There's a definite temperature drop as I enter the dappled shade of woodland...

IMG_0159-X4.jpg

...but out in the sun, even at speed, it's pretty warm. I'm wearing my unlined elkskin roping gloves, which I have completely sweated through. Despite this, they are the most comfortable gloves for this type of riding, and if a pair wears out, it's like losing a friend... :D

IMG_0160-X4.jpg

I ride through a few small towns...

IMG_0163-X4.jpg

...until I find what I want on the outskirts of Keizer - the Hitching Post Bar and Grill...

IMG_0161-X4.jpg

It's darkish, cool and quite busy. The lovely Gabby brings me...

68401717689__458538E6-DCF8-46A3-8D5F-0874CB763DBB%202-X3.jpg

...a huge iced lemonade, as I peel my sopping base layer off and try to make myself look like a member of the same species as the rest of the bar. I drink five of these during my stop - delicious.

I only had a couple of cups of coffee for breakfast, so order a taco salad - expecting it to arrive in a bowl shaped taco shell...

IMG_4913-X3.jpg

...but what arrives is an excellent salad, built on top of a layer of crushed tortilla chips
DukeGirl.gif
They make their own salsa (I asked, Jorge! :D), which I'm pretty sure I can still taste now...

With the inner man satisfied, I kit up (after settling the very reasonable $12.50 plus tip bill) and head out into the sun. Half a mile up the road I stop at a Mobil station and fill up with Super at $4.46 per gallon.

Panchos%20Two-M.jpg

Back on the road, I am behind this chap (presumably Pancho) for a while. Whilst driving along he's raising and lowering alternate sides of the front of the car with hydraulic rams...

Panchos%20One-X3.jpg

When we move away from this juncton, a police cruiser pulls into traffic behind us, and the bouncing suddenly stops...
lol8.gif

IMG_0171-X3.jpg

Betty keeps turning me onto different farm roads, but they are generally pointing me south west, towards the Pacific coast...

IMG_0174-X4.jpg

I ride through Corvallis, which seems very pleasant...

IMG_0176-X4.jpg

Agriculture here has changed to cereal crops - most of which have been harvested. The ploughed fields are vast...

IMG_0178-X4.jpg

It's getting pretty warm. Due to an oversight, I'm not wearing a CamelBack - and this weather calls for one (I'm going to buy one tomorrow). I decide to stop again for something to eat, as it's now a couple of hours since lunch and I still have a way to go...

IMG_0180-X4.jpg

This little gas station appears - that'll do...

IMG_0181-X4.jpg

I leave my sopping gear on the bike, using it as an 1150cc clothes horse...

IMG_0182-X3.jpg

Yep - not going to be discussing politics here...

IMG_0184-X3.jpg

A couple of ice-cream sandwiches and a large bottle of diet Dr Pepper helps rehydrate me, as well as giving my blood sugar a bump...
thumb2.gif

IMG_0185-X4.jpg

The road is now very pleasant - Highway 101...

IMG_0187-X4.jpg

...which will take me all the way to Florence, my target for tonight.

IMG_0194-X4.jpg

There are long, cool, shaded sections - which are very welcome...

IMG_0201-X4.jpg

Look - first bridge pic! Huzzah! :D

IMG_0204-X4.jpg

Nearly there now - and I won't be sorry to see the motel...

IMG_0206-X4.jpg

Pretty soon...

IMG_0207-X4.jpg

John, on reception, is great - welcomes me and gives me a rundown on where to get anything I need. Top of the list will be a visit to a nearby Mexican Café who does a speciality breakfast - crab omelette...
DukeGirl.gif

As requested, he's given me a ground floor room and told me that I can park the bike under the canopy if I want to, but advises parking directly outside the room, where it is clear sight of his CCTV security camera. I decide to take his advice.

IMG_0208-X4.jpg

I carry some stuff into the room, which is small, clean and adequate, then return to the bike to ride it around. It doesn't start first time, so I double check it's out of gear, sidestand up etc.

When I try it again it just clicks and the warning lights dim. I notice the clock is showing zero. Dammit! What new Hell is this?
bluduh.gif

I push the bike to outside my door, fully unload it and lock it up. I know Jorge fitted a new battery and a new alternator belt as part of the major service prepping for this trip. The generator light is clearly visible to me when riding and I would have noticed it being on...
bluduh.gif

I text Jorge to tell him I've arrived safely and give him a report on the bike. He immediately thinks the alternator belt has been slipping. If this was happening, the generator light would glow dimly - and the panel has been in full sun most of the day (plus I've been wearing sunglasses).

So - what to do. I have a chat with John at reception and he is immediately helpful. He has a jumper pack there in the office and he'll hold my room for another night in case I need it. Outstanding.

It's not a particulary complex job - the only additional work involved on Jorge's bike (as on mine) is that the bottem bolt of the front (Öhlins) shock needs to be removed to allow room for the front cover to be removed. I should have the necessary tools in my kit. It would be great to have a proper garage's tools, though.

I have roadside assistance from State Farm. I'll put up a distress rocket on ADVrider to see if there's anyone in the area that might be able to help - failing that I'll give State Farm a call...

Bugger
bluduh.gif

STOP THE PRESS!

Roger (ChipSeal on ADVrider) has just PMed me asking for the motel's address - he'll be arriving equipped with everything needed to do the alternator belt tension, as well as a spare battery.
clap.gif

ADVrider slides smoothly into gear...

Roger - take a bow - you are an awesome individual...
bowdown.gif

*For those who are not motorcyclists, new tyres have a light coating of quite slippery chemicals, partly to aid getting them out of the mould during manufacture, and partly to extend their shelf life. When riding with new tyres (especially in the wet) you have to gently increase your lean angle and be aware that you might easily lose traction...

Monday 5th September 2022

I wake after a sound sleep (albeit on a weirdly lumpy mattress) and find it's a cool (55F) clear morning, and that the Adv has got through the night unmolested.

IMG_4916-X3.jpg

I'm going to see John at the front desk, then wander over for some breakfast, and text Roger to find out his timeframe...

More later...
cool_shades.gif

Panchos%20One-X3.jpg

Looks like Grizz has been painting with his lace curtains :D

Great report reading.

Hope you get the alternator belt sorted.

After telling John at the front desk what was happening...

IMG_4921-X3.jpg

...I wander over to the splendidly named Venny's 101 Café...

IMG_4923-X3.jpg

...which is my favourite type of eatery - a 'mom & pop' with a really comfortable feel to it.

IMG_4924-X3.jpg

I quickly grab a menu...

IMG_4926-X3.jpg

...and order the Crab Omelette, with home potatoes and sourdough toast. I have a coffee you could stand your spoon up in - excellent.

I text Roger to check on his ETA and he replies that he's five minutes out - brilliant! I tell him I'll meet him in the café and I'll buy him breakfast...

Roger arrives and also orders the Crab Omelette...

IMG_4941-X3.jpg

...and we catch up over the meal. Roger has driven down in his VW, as he has a healing clavicle after an 'off' on some gravel five weeks or so ago...
muutt.gif

We manage to finish, and Roger drives around to the hotel whilst I settle up - the omelette was excellent...
DukeGirl.gif

IMG_4946-X3.jpg

So - to business.

By a process of elimination, both Jorge and I are happy that it is alternator belt tension that lies at the heart of the problem.

We start disassembly, after first plugging in the battery charger that Roger has brought, attaching it to the power pack that John, the receptionist has loaned me...

IMG_4950-X3.jpg

We remove the bottom shock bolt, to give the plastic cover more clearance (you don't need to do this if you have OEM shocks, but Öhlins are thicker), undo the four bolts that hold the alternator belt cover in place, and remove it. First thing - the belt is intact - good. I try to twist it halfway up its length and can pretty nearly do so 180 deg. The correct tension should mean you can just twist it 90 deg. This is great - as it supports our diagnosis. We release the three bolts holding the alternator in place, then lever up the alternator until the belt tightens. I nip one of the adjustable bolts tight and then test it. I can just twist it to 90 deg - excellent. I tighten down the two remaining bolts.

IMG_4952-X3.jpg

Roger has brought a lithium battery pack with him. These are brilliant pieces of kit - I carry one in my car at home. We connect it to the battery terminals to give the charging battery a helping hand, loosely mount the tank, connecting just the out and return fuel lines and the electrical plug, then press the starter.

It fires up and sounds good. No sign of any light from the generator warning lamp. I run it for a minute or so, then shut it down and we feel confident to start reassembly...

IMG_4954-X3.jpg

Pretty soon we are packing the last of the tools away and Roger's getting ready to depart.

Thanks Roger - that was a great kindness - every time we meet my life gets better...
thumb2.gif

I tell John that I'll not be needing the room this evening and will be heading out sometime after 1300 - he says that's fine - he's just pleased we got the bike fixed.

IMG_4957-X3.jpg

Roger then presents me with a little Harbor Freight battery charger - and a spare CamelBack he has brought for me!
clap.gif

I book a hotel in Crescent City, CA - about four hours away - write my journal and then start packing.

More later...
cool_shades.gif

thanks mike

nice one roger

is it bad i saw the venny sign on the pole and thought the pic was an arai :D

*books eye test

Roger. A shining example of a throughly decent human being. :okay

Mike. A lucky chap. :thumb2

Onwards

Edit. John on reception. :thumb

I set off at about 1330, after thanking John for his help. This little motel is really run down and in need of a refurb, but John makes up for all that - really putting himself out to help a customer - I will be putting a very good review up later this evening...
cool_shades.gif

The bike starts OK, but is running really roughly - it takes me about a minute to work out what has happened, so I pull into a vacant lot and find some shade. Sure enough, on the RH throttle cable...

i-V3s8ZBp.jpg

This problem is like a rite of passage for BMW boxer owners - hence my having a stock picture illustrating it. People will post up in a panic - and the first question they get asked is "have you had the tank off?" It's really easy to dislodge the ferrule at the end of the cable - a small matter, but the effect it has can be alarming, as effectively, each cylinder is at a different throttle setting. I pop the ferrule back into its seat and restart the engine - now behaving correctly...
thumb.gif

IMG_0212-X4.jpg

Today's route will be a simple one - straight down Highway 101 to Crescent City, just into California.

IMG_0213-X3.jpg

The weather is beautiful - about 74F with an onshore breeze - I can't imagine better conditions to ride in...

IMG_0216-X4.jpg

Here's a bridge pic with sand dunes to celebrate that...

IMG_0218-X4.jpg

I am sporting a rather dashing white cotton scarf today - although there is some rule about wearing white before or after Labor Day, IIRC...
hmmm.gif

IMG_0221-X4.jpg

There's no hiding that it's a public holiday, though. Traffic is heavy (though - thankfully - far heavier travelling north than south). Americans get so few holidays that they tend to make the absolute most of the ones they do get. Loads of these trucks coming the other way are towing boats, off-road vehicles, quads and dirt bikes...

IMG_0223-X4.jpg

The road doesn't follow the coast to begin with, and goes through miles of woodland, the air rich with the smell of pine resin...

IMG_0226-X4.jpg

There are a lot of elevation changes, although often the road is just above sea level...

IMG_0227-X4.jpg

I see a lot of bikes - all large tourers and cruisers - every one waved...

IMG_0228-X3.jpg

Bridge fans are getting a treat today...

IMG_0231-X4.jpg

CamelBack not fastened at the front - the shame of it...
fpalm.gif

IMG_0234-X4.jpg

I recognise how lucky I am to be able to do this. The relatively low cost of air fares and the access to travel has been great for my generation. I don't take it for granted...

IMG_0242-X3.jpg

The architect that built this bridge was making a statement - it's like entering Oz...

IMG_0245-X4.jpg

I fill up at Coos Bay - determined to buy fuel at Oregon prices rather than Californian, where they seem to find all sorts of taxes to tack on to a purchase. It's still $5.24 per gallon, though...

El%20Camino%20One-X4.jpg

South of Coos Bay, the road becomes the Pacific Coast Highway proper. I spot this beautifully restored El Camino at a viewpoint. Apart from Pancho yesterday, this is the only old car I've seen - I must be losing my touch for finding old semi-abandoned cars...

IMG_0264-X4.jpg

It's a beautiful spot - the onshore breeze brings salt spray with it...

IMG_0267-X4.jpg

I go to restart the bike and the starter turns over very slowly before catching...
bluduh.gif

Dammit. The clock has reset to zero and the ABS lights are flashing (both signs that the battery is close to flat). I've been riding with just the headlamp and GPS drawing power for at least two hours now. Ordinarily the battery should be at a full state of charge. I ride on for a few minutes, then stop, switch off and restart again - the ABS lights go out as I set off with the pump making its normal click-a-tick noise as it does so.

IMG_0269-X4.jpg

There's plenty of beautiful scenery to entertain me as I ponder what could be causing the problem.

IMG_0270-X4.jpg

There's no generator light, so the charging circuit must be working correctly (the generator light does work :D)

IMG_0273-X4.jpg

I checked the battery terminals this morning, and they were tight...

IMG_0283-X4.jpg

...but I haven't checked that the leads running to the battery are clear of corrosion, nor the other end of the Earth (ground) strap, or the positive cable to the starter...

IMG_0284-X4.jpg

The temperature has started to drop slightly, as the sun lowers...

IMG_0287-X4.jpg

...and I'm almost chilly, for the first time since I arrived...
lol8.gif

IMG_0289-X4.jpg

Not far to go now. Once again, I'll not be sorry to get to the motel this evening...

IMG_0293-X4.jpg

I think I'll stay another night here. I need a good night's sleep, as I'm tired at the moment. I'll then spend tomorrow hunting down the cause of this issue. I can do this far more easily if having to pack up and leave later in the day isn't looming over me.

IMG_0296-X4.jpg

The other benefit will be that it's just an ordinary working day tomorrow - so if I need to consult a garage or something, then they'll be working...

Ship%20One-X4.jpg

I enter California just after 1700, and swiftly find my hotel in Crescent City...

IMG_0303-X4.jpg

I check in for two nights...

IMG_0306-X4.jpg

King sized bed, AC, huge TV - that'll do nicely...
cool_shades.gif

I unload the bike, put stuff on charge, upload the 120-odd pics from today and then give Jorge a call. He agrees with my plan, but thinks that I should take the front cover off again and check that the belt is still tight if I don't come across anything promising in my checks.

I make a cup of brown stuff using the in-room coffee machine. Big mistake.
bluduh.gif

I throw it down the sink and make a start on the journal. Early night tonight and a sleep-in tomorrow should set things right...

IMG_0304-X4.jpg

Bit rude...

Mike the alternator should easily cover the Headlamp and GPS

A cheap harbor fright or similar Multimeter might be a good idea along with picking up a jump pack?

The Multimeter just temporarily rig it in to the front power socket and stick it in your tankbag

an 1150 should always be above 13.5 volt

Perhaps worth stripping the starter motor out ?
Perhaps corrosion at solenoid?
Perhaps a magnet has shifted ?
The Greaseplate problem ?
and quite likely the reduction box grease has gone hard

All easily fixable with few tools and about an hour and a half worth of getting your hands dirty ??

jorge lends mike a knackered relic shock :)

dont think itll be anything beyond you - made it this far so it wont be too serious

connections and grot

Tuesday 6th September 2022

I have a really good night's sleep - and eventually surface at about 1030 after an epic shower and feel great...

It's a beautiful day, without a cloud in the sky, and the temperature is about 70F. I have an extended text conversation with Jorge, who has clearly been mulling the problem over during the night. As luck would have it, my hotel is about 200m from a Harbor Freight tool store, and just up the road I noticed an auto-electrical workshop, if it all goes wrong.

Harbor%20Seven-X3.jpg

OK - first order of business - adopt pedestrian mode to Harbor Freight...

Harbor%20One-X3.jpg

It's like a temple to consumerism...

Harbor%20Three-X4.jpg

...I love it :D...

Harbor%20Two-X3.jpg

OK - this is what I'm looking for. I buy a set of combination spanners (box wrenches) and a set of long reach, ball-ended Allen keys.

Harbor%20Four-X4.jpg

Passing this - erm - uniquely coloured Tesla on the way back...

Harbor%20Six-X3.jpg

I get back to my room, pausing to pick up a 6" 'The Boss' sub from Subway (the only eatery within half a mile), with sweet tea, on the way...

Harbor%20Five-X3.jpg

It tasted a lot better than it looks in that pic. It would have to...
lol8.gif

The parking spot outside my room is in full sun - those across the way are just starting to come into shade. I decide to give it a couple of hours before riding the bike over there and starting work...

More later...

So, after a couple of hours, the shade over the rooms opposite seems to be as good as it's going to get.

I start the bike up - the starter leaping into life without any sign of problems - and ride across the parking lot and put it on its centre stand...

EVENING%20ONE-X3.jpg

First job - check the connections on the starter motor. The cover is held on by a single Allen headed bolt...

Evening%20Five-X3.jpg

Everything inside is in good order, connections tight and no sign of any corrosion...

Evening%20Four-X3.jpg

I put the cover back on, then move to the other side of the bike to undo the bolt securing the tank in place. I wedge the tank up to allow me access to the terminals (I don't want to take the tank off unless essential, as rethreading the straps for the 'bra' at the back is a nightmare
lol8.gif
)

Evening%20Three-X3.jpg

Positive side - bolt tight, no sign of corrosion on any of the cables...

Evening%20Two-X4.jpg

Same on the Negative side...
hmmm.gif

I button everything back up, restart the bike (which fired up as if with a brand new battery again) and rode it back to my room to have a ponder.

This is my analysis so far:

I'm content that the fault does not lie in the charging system. The alternator light works, and it has not been on this trip. Therefore, assuming all connections are good (which I have just checked they are), the fault likely lies within the starter motor, which is sometimes draining an enormous amount of current when it intermittently fails internally some way.

I have dealt with a bad starter on my Adv, and it produced a spectrum of weird and whacky symptoms (like turning turn signals on and off randomly in mid-ride, for example). It also took about three months to fail fully.

This is the original (2002) starter on Jorge's bike, which has done 48k miles or so. I'd not be surprised at a starter failing.

So, assuming this is the case, I'm minded to just ride on and see what happens. If it is the starter and it fails, I have roadside assistance insurance. Ideally it would be nice to get a replacement to see if that's the problem, but I don't want to spend that kind of money without being sure it's the cause.

Taking the motor apart, without the experience or knowledge to fix it (and certainly in a hotel parking lot) is not a route I'm going to travel at the moment...

Time for a cool drink and more contemplation, I think...

So, after a chat with Jorge, he's bought a cheap starter from eBay and is having it sent to his address at Portland.

I'm going to continue my trip and just keep an eye on the problem. If it becomes unmanageable, then I'll deal with it (I have roadside assistance cover).

Assuming I get back to Jorge successfully, we'll swap starters, then Jorge can find a firm in Portland to refurb the orignal starter, then reinstall that and keep the cheap one on the shelf as a spare.

I think I still have my original, repaired, starter in a drawer in my garage.

So - time to head south in the morning...
cool_shades.gif

Great to read your latest report, your previous reports encouraged me to expand my travel plans.

Keep the great work, I’m in!

Back
Top Bottom